PDA

View Full Version : Buzzer Buck - last day... last hour!

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Well, I've been pounding hard for the last week of the muley season. Up at 4:30am to make it up the mountain for first light… back home by ~9:30 to get to work. The joys running a business… what I wouldn't give to be able to chase the big boys all day long for a week straight… (I know - wah, wah)

Anyways, I've been takin' the dirt bike up the mountain into the snow to where I want to start hikin'… few good crashes, but haven't got stuck yet… After 3 days of hard humpin' I figured out the elevation, but the full moon kept them snoozin' in the THICK timber all day. I found the evidence of the party the night before with tracks, beds and rubs everywhere, but never saw a single deer (never mind a buck)! :twisted:

Last chance for romance… I brought the hunting gear to work... in the mountains ~1. I decided to change things up and headed to an area that I'd scouted ~7 years before that I'd been meaning to return to hunt for years… ever get a feeling about a place specific spot in the forest and end up killing a animal in the exact spot later. Well, it's happened to me several times and this place felt like one of those spots… :cool:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/4094987034_99806947e1_o.jpg

Once at the elevation I wanted, I started traversing some new country on the way to the spot. I'd stop at each bluff and call into the ravine and timber below. There were buck tracks in some of the nastiest draws of course, but not many doe tracks… and not a single response. I eventually made it onto the ridge itself.

With about an hour of light left, I found the perfect spot to set up, just below the place I remembered. On a vertical knife ridge overlooking a thick drainage with a small creek and small steep clearings all around. I hunkered down behind a blow-down, took off my pack and set up. I raked a fir with a whitey shed that I'd brought and followed it with a series of buck and doe grunts with my mouth. Ten minutes later I let out a couple more grunts...

I moved to stretch a bit, and immediately a deer blew from 30 yards directly above me. It started to bounce and I quickly ran 10 m to an opening that would give me a lane where he was headed. When he hit the opening, I grunted and he stopped on cue… but was facing me. He turned to leave, and I counted 4 on 1 side… I grunted again and he stopped quartering to at 40 yards in the open. I debated quickly… I've already passed on bigger, but he's only 200 yards from the top and then an easy ~2km down to the bike… it's the last hour of the last day… the freezer is almost empty….you've hunted hard this year and called him in perfectly… BOOM!

Pic of similar basin:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2563/4095024714_5ac007ec8e_o.jpg

He's hit hard but books it downhill for the creek… I fire again just as he dives over a small cliff. I smile as I realize that I pulled it off right at the buzzer. I unload all but the essentials in my pack relax for a few minutes and then slowly make my way down. Expecting to see him piled up at the base, I crest the little cliff but see his tracks continuing in the foot of snow with spurts at every bound and then hear a crashing in the thick alders. Mother trucker - he's still up and I bumped him from his (bloody) bed. It's getting dark, I've seen 3 grizz on this mountain and fresh tracks 2 days before… With visions of piñatas in my head :shock: I decide to try to finish him now… my worst nightmare… 1, 2, 300 yards down into the hell hole he goes… He's wobbly and I finally catch up to him in a shooting lane and put him down with 1 in the neck (first was low lung area second shot nicked the brisket…)

I get a surprise when I pull his head out of the snow… he's a non-typical 5 x 5! He's not huge, but he's got a funky cluster on his front driver's side and little bladed extra point on his rear passenger side and little bladed brow tines. I probably woulda let him grow if I knew he was NT, but I'll have to settle for chasing his bro's next year… The wide typical and Blade are gonna have some competition in my dreams… I’m psyched about the genetics in this new spot!! :biggrin:

35 Whelen
11-11-2009, 12:59 AM
GREAT STORY !!!!!!!!!

I was reading this last post just before bed......expecting to see a 5x5 dancing in my head while I slept. But NO PICS!!!!!!!

Please post some pics of the buck when you have caught up on your sleep. Congrats SteepNdeep on the last second buck.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2009, 04:42 AM
You NUTBAR!! What the hell you taking the bike up there?? I may be brain-dead at times but you wouldn't catch me doing that:tongue:.
Several crashes??!! How did the rifle fair?? Shooting straight???

Just giving you a hard time, Dean. Your stories are always fliied with adventure...are are a great read.

Now where are the dang pics??? :wink:

Congrats!

I struck out yesterday and now I'm heading out to sit 11 hrs in my treestand.
Oh....and I'm taking the quad just in case it snows:tongue:.

SSS

hunter1947
11-11-2009, 06:39 AM
steepNdeep I myself have found out that persistence pays off at the end and you show the same as I ,great story and congrats on getting meat in your freezer.

You worked hard for this deer and you deserve it as for what your story tells ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.
I will be looking forward to your pic ,O ya nice story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

ydouask
11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Love it ! Good story... where's the BEEF???

hillclimber
11-11-2009, 08:51 AM
sounds like you put your time in. how does the dirtbike handle in the snow? and what are you riding looks like an xr250?? its 7:50 you've slept long enough now get those pics up!!!:-D

boxhitch
11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Great story as it mirrors what my last four days sightings have been.
But you had the success to back it up, congrats.

calvin L
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
IT IS ALL BULL CRAP WITH OUT PICTURES . DANG IT MAN YOU KNOW BETTER . FOR A W/K BOY YOU NEED A KICK IN THE A$$

congrats dean good for you

Rattler
11-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Great story! Congrats. I too have been pounding the hills chasing a big buck, but could not catch up with him. I passed up a small buck (120 or so) at 4:15 last night (freezer full of elk). Called him to 15 yards.

MB_Boy
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Congrats Dean......now get your head out of yer 'arse' and post a pic of the deer!! You understand the 'technology'.....now just do it!

Kody94
11-11-2009, 10:10 AM
IT IS ALL BULL CRAP WITH OUT PICTURES . DANG IT MAN YOU KNOW BETTER . FOR A W/K BOY YOU NEED A KICK IN THE A$$

congrats dean good for you

LOL. ditto that!

Mucho congrats but lets see a pic or two of that buck!

WoodOx
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
awesome work - great hunt. fir ridges, primarily? mind if I ask the elevation?

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 10:22 AM
You NUTBAR!! What the hell you taking the bike up there?? I may be brain-dead at times but you wouldn't catch me doing that:tongue:.
Several crashes??!! How did the rifle fair?? Shooting straight???

Just giving you a hard time, Dean. SSS

Brent, ever since I saw you with your date on a bike, I thought anything was possible on a bike :shock: :mrgreen::

http://media.funny.co.uk/files/3989.jpg

Actually, I only spun out into the sticks a couple times, but did do a headstand once that rung my bell a bit. I'm a die-hard dirt biker and will have to lose a leg before I get on a quad... :wink:

A week before I had checked the rifle after a knock and it was still dead on... I'll check it again before vermin (whitey) season. Funny, I'm a worse shot at 40 yards than 320... go figure!.. Look forward to seein' you drop the hammer on a hawg... (just don't bring Bersac? this time) :lol:

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Congrats Dean......now get your head out of yer 'arse' and post a pic of the deer!! You understand the 'technology'.....now just do it!

Actually, I didn't have a camera with me and only got 1 marginal shot with my cell phone... I need to find the adapter card to get the pics onto my 'puter. I'll try to do it after the ceremonies...

bruin
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Great read congrats

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
sounds like you put your time in. how does the dirtbike handle in the snow? and what are you riding looks like an xr250?? its 7:50 you've slept long enough now get those pics up!!!:-D

It's a XR650r - I've had ~8 bikes including a cr250. What do you ride?Actually, the bike handled surprisingly well in the snow! The problem was at the bottom of the mountain where it rained, froze then snowed on top - the switchbacks were slick and I spun out into the sticks a bit. I made it up where only 1 truck and 1 quad both w/ chains had been... :lol:

Kudu
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Great story, well written - great buck.

I like the dirt bike idea as well just got a KTM for myself for hunting - you are an inspiration.

Brambles
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice work Steep, them friggin bears stayed up late this year. Someone forgot to tell them they should start sleeping in October.

Look forward to the pics

BCrams
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Good way to pull it off Steep!! Congrats on your last hour buck!!

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, I've been pounding hard for the last week of the muley season. Up at 4:30am to make it up the mountain for first light… back home by ~9:30 to get to work. The joys of living close enough to good hunting grounds to be able to head out whenever you want… what I wouldn't give to be able to chase the big boys all day long for a week straight… (I know - wah, wah)

there, i fixed it for you :mrgreen:

bozzdrywall
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Sounds like a good hunt but hard to swallow with out pics.

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Alright - I don't want your panties in a knot, so I gotter done - here's the only decent pic off my cell phone. Like I said, I probably woulda let him grow if I knew he was NT, but I'll have to settle for chasing his bro's next year… He was a linebacker and woulda been a STUD next year...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/4094987080_58d662497a_o.jpg

Thanks guys!

Calvin - Yeah, yeah - I didn't even see a story on your buck - Brent had to post if for ya! Nice bonus buck by the way... :cool:

Rattler - Right on - feels good to pass on a buck with a full freezer! I still had elk steaks in mine last year and passed on a a super tall buck that I called into 15 yards in a different spot (on the last day!)...

Brambles - Yeah, the predators are getting too thick in the southern half of the province... yotes, wolves, grizzers and cats everywhere... Might have do my part to thin 'em out & to get you to show me your moves. :D

Here's a big wolf track from one of my elk spots... my buddy spoke to a trapper who killed 20+ in the area last year, but figured there were ~100 in the valley! Now there's open seasons all over the province, but it's too late... :shock: :twisted:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2732/4095418281_bce452085e_o.jpg

Brambles
11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Alright - I don't want your panties in a knot, so I gotter done - here's the only decent pic off my cell phone. He was a linebacker "No Neck Joe":

Hey Steep, Rules are Rules,:wink: Nice buck

Brambles - Might have to get you to show me your moves. :D

Well Steep, I don't go into the bush anymore without a knife on my hip that is large enough to defend myself with. If you get knocked down and have to fight from your back, your rifle is virtually useless. I got complacent the last few years and never carried my knife on my belt but left it in my backpack.

Now I carry this Knife. I also bought another knife that is lighter for backpack trips. But for late season timber hunting this is my choice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PB110299.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PB110300.jpg

It seemed too much of a coincidence considering the name of the manufacturer. Had to buy it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PB110304.jpg

mark
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I wont even reply anymore until a pic is posted!
Looks like a neat rack!
Cutting the tag at the last minute is the best!
You know you held out and hunted all you could, You got to hunt the entire season, just as the feeling of failure is upon ya, ya getterdun!
Done it many times, and I love it!
Although, finishing early this year wasnt so bad either :wink:.

Brambles
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Looks like a neat rack!
You know you held out and hunted all you could, You got to hunt the entire season, just as the feeling of failure is upon ya, ya getterdun!

Look again there stud, he did post a picture:mrgreen:

mark
11-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Look again there stud, he did post a picture:mrgreen:

read my post again there sleepy.....Its after he posted the pic, thats why I replied, also I metioned that it looks like a neat rack.
Im quicker than you!:tongue:

Brambles
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
read my post again there sleepy.....Its after he posted the pic, thats why I replied, also I metioned that it looks like a neat rack.
Im quicker than you!:tongue:

Ah !! now that I re-read you poorly worded reply I understand.:-D

Some people just don't get the rules, pics must follow post in a timely manner, sleep is not an acceptable excuse.

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Looks like a neat rack!

Yeah, it feels good when it comes together in a pressure situation! I needed to redeem myself after missing opportunities at the big boys earlier in the season... :roll:

Great story, well written - great buck.

I like the dirt bike idea as well just got a KTM for myself for hunting - you are an inspiration.

Thx - yeah, a bike makes getting there half of the fun! A guy that I ride with has a KTM EXC 300 - nice bikes... What did you buy?

calvin L
11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Dean brent posted it up do to the fact he forgot his bolt . there fore he has to be good for some thing . I wish I could have been out there today but a sick kid and 9 hours of video training for work has my eye bugging out of my scull . I can't wait for the 30 as i have a week off for bow season

steepNdeep
11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
brent posted it up do to the fact he forgot his bolt .

:lol: He forgot to mention that... hopefully he didn't forget it on purpose and Jesse isn't turning him into a closet preservationist 'hugger. :wink:

Did you guys see many moose this year?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Dean brent posted it up do to the fact he forgot his bolt . there fore he has to be good for some thing . I wish I could have been out there today but a sick kid and 9 hours of video training for work has my eye bugging out of my scull . I can't wait for the 30 as i have a week off for bow season

If I would have waited for you to get some time to post it up, we would have been reading it on December ....of next yr!!:tongue:.

Dean- If your packing extra protection for bear just don't pack pepper spray on for hip belt while riding. Don't ask me how I know.:-? I finally got the orange stains off my skin.

Moose...what do moose look like?? The day Calvin killed his buck was the last day off I had until this past weekend....which I just plain refused to work:evil:.

SSS

TheDuckinator
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Nice, everybody's gettin nice bucks now..... wheres mine?

steepNdeep
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Moose...what do moose look like?? The day Calvin killed his buck was the last day off I had until this past weekend....which I just plain refused to work:evil:.
SSS

Ya, when I think that I've got it bad and have to work, I just think of you Brent. What were you thinkin' when you took a job that required unlimited overtime during hunting season??? Get your priorities straight! :mrgreen:

dunbartr
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Great story as it mirrors what my last four days sightings have been.
But you had the success to back it up, congrats.

Ditto. Been slow for lots of people

Stone Sheep Steve
11-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Ya, when I think that I've got it bad and have to work, I just think of you Brent. What were you thinkin' when you took a job that required unlimited overtime during hunting season??? Get your priorities straight! :mrgreen:

It wasn't always this bad. Been slowly getting choked to death over the yrs:-?.

Hopefully, as a business owner it will pay off for you in the long run with more spare time and a lifestyle that goes with it.
It's death or retirement for me:???:..."Freedom 95 plan"...........

SSS