PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with two spreads. any tips?

11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
ten snows and two ducks, and one hell of a hike back across the feild. I was pulling in single snows throught the day and shot a tripple to finish off the day. I hiked out all of my duck feild spread and set them up 40 yards from my snow goose decoys and sat between them in a ditch. I only got one duck to decoy though. do you think the two spreads were to close together? anything you would change? I had 12 standing ducks feeders/active plus 12 of those hot buy mallards with the keels cut off. and 50 snow silo socks. I had the robo duck up for an hour but then took it down because it didn't seem to work and I think the battery was running low. there was no shortage of ducks circling all day but they just kept going around and around just out of range. and the only time I canshoot them at that location is during the last 40 minutes of shooting time when it is darker.

any tips????
thanks.

f350ps
11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
You sure the ducks aren't seeing you? K

11-11-2009, 12:09 AM
thats the only thing I can think of. but I was in the grass well hidden.

Tanya
11-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Mature snows are smart, saw that out in Manitoba. They circle or hover just out of range. With ducks we've found the Robo duck works well in low light, fog, snowing or very heavy rain conditions. As the light improves we turn it off.

11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
yeah I'v got no problem getting the snows in range. I mannaged to get one mature one with my limit. it just the ducks that sketch out when approaching.

branthunter
11-11-2009, 06:33 PM
It may be just that it can be tough to decoy daytime ducks in the fields unless the weather is really snotty( eg.big wind, or snowing) or you've got a standing crop . I've never tried both in a field setting but I have never had much luck bringing in ducks to a set near a S. goose spread out in the marsh. A few ducks will decoy but nothing like what will come in if you move the duck set well away from the wavies. And you do have to be better hidden for daytime ducks than you do for these young grey wavies. :???::tongue:Maybe try putting the 2 spreads 200 yds apart and then you sit in the middle and run over to whichever one gets a bird working it.

Farmer John
11-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe the ducks are starting to see a pattern. Every night there is someone set up along that ditchline. The ducks are getting to know that landing close to a ditch could be hazardous to their health. Try setting up right in the middle of the field away from any sort of cover and use a well concealed layout blind. They should drop in a little better.

PGK
11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe the ducks are starting to see a pattern. Every night there is someone set up along that ditchline. The ducks are getting to know that landing close to a ditch could be hazardous to their health. Try setting up right in the middle of the field away from any sort of cover and use a well concealed layout blind. They should drop in a little better.

That's what I would do. Sounds like they have you patterned. Change it up!