PDA

View Full Version : License Plates coming to Quad near You

bighornbob
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Just read this on the net.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-50728--.htm#50728

I think its a good idea. Now you can take a plate number down of some ass clown riding in a no motorized vehicle area or into the alpine. Instead of "it was a red honda quad" that was riding in the alpine.

BHB

sparkymacker
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Personally I am totally against it because it is just another chance for these pricks to put their hand in your pocket. Now you are going to be paying HST when you buy a used quad. Also the registration fee is going to be XX.00 amount of dollars. Not sure it the plate is good for as long as you own the machine, but if it is not you will paying double when you go to re-new it.

srupp
11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
hmmm boating license just climbed from $ 25 to $75...:evil:..

the license for a quad is just a $$$$$$$$$$$$$grab IMO..

same as the gun registry never ever saved even 1 life,

just examples of the long greedy arms of govt reaching into your pockets..

Steven

Rob
11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Would registering quads help reduce thefts?

eric
11-10-2009, 04:50 PM
YEP, THEY CAN KISS MY ARSE :confused:

GumbyFromLumby
11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
This is complete BS. What is the reason for this? No way in hell will I be registering my ATV's.

gitnadoix
11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Well it would be worth asking hows it working where they all ready do it to see if it has reduced quad thefts etc etc. Any thing that makes it harder for dick-weeds to steal and sell quads is a good direction to go. So I wont yell wolf just yet.

Plus it makes it easier to nail the bad eggs who drive in meadows and fish streams as they will be displaying their name basicaly.....if your afraid to wear identification on your quad WHY

tomahawk
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Would registering quads help reduce thefts?

Good point, I guess its anyones guess. Doesn't seem to stop car thefts though!

GumbyFromLumby
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Sort of like when they made the law to register rifles and shotguns to stop criminals from killing. How well did that work out? It's the same thing. It's just away to get money out of legit well mannered ATV owners. Complete BS.

There is now way in hell that this will stop ATV thefts.

Jelvis
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
So what do you want me to do about it ? lol- ___ --
Jel-so what ? Pay the fee's get your plate or sell your quad --

steelheadSABO
11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
we should have a poll how many people are gonna acually register their atvs

kamloops killer
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
What is the big deal I have to put License Plates on my truck no big deal ITS part of life.Now people with quads cry fowel so what.I see lots of people riding on roads with no insurance so they should also put License Plates on motor bikes ROADS are Roads and and all motor vehicles should be have insurances and License Plates thats my 2 bits
sorry guys :cry:

steelheadSABO
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
not to be rude but atvs are off road vehicles

Piperdown
11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Fully insured, theft, fire, accident,license plate already on for my free mining adventures, comprehensive too. Too much to loose for me.

OOBuck
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
This is no different than the new Septic tax these a$$ hats are bringing into BC. Absolutely F---in stupid!!!

When did the government stop realizing that they work for us and not the other way around? !

Jelvis
11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
They are putting plates on up here in Kamloops because of a Kamloops mla Kevin Kruegarrr -- so others, can recognize the ones driving in and on road closures, and can phone RAPP. So says Simon, that way, if talked too the person has a plate to take down and phone it in.
That's what was told to us up here --
Jeltattle$ontherattle$--help recognize who is driving on closed roads and in the alpine.
another thing they said

Th0r
11-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Clearly another BS money grab :evil:

watson721
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
the idea doesn't sound that bad

yamadirt 426
11-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Coming from an on/off road dirt bike perspective. Yes its just another tax. When will it end ? Now lets say for some people they can leave from their house in downtown penticton, meet all their buds at the gas station fill up have their coffee then head up the mountains all on their quad gun rack and all. Leave the truck at home. Drive on all roads up to 80kph. Thats why I love my bike for this reason. But other than that its bs

6 K
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Just another tax. Pound salt already.
Find those who are breaking the law and nail their balls to the wall. That is how to control the crap. Not too many shit head kids gonna burn down the road once a few $10,000 fines get laid out.

ape
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Well I just bought my first quad this year and was thinking of getting another for the wife and kid but this is going to hamper my plans. I will not register my quads as I didn't register my guns. I you have a problem with me then deal with me. If you have a problem some azzhole then deal with him not me. A little tune just came to mind from a commercial Hands in my pocket. Guess I may have to sell my quad now.

MuleyMadness
11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
They still gotta catch you...and to anyone who says they can have a road stop on the way up and ding you with your quad in the back think again..they have to catch you using it in a manner that is against the law...not just driving it around in the back of your truck. It's clearly a case of more government, more taxes, more interference in our lives...I thought the liberals got elected, not the NDP...maybe there was a recount I missed.

MuleyMadness
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
If they want the closed roads and offroad regulations to have bite they should tie them directly to the wildlife act. Take away a hunting license for the rest of the year or another year, and people will think twice about using their quads to access places their lazy asses should have walked.

Jelvis
11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Some people drive any where they want, whenever they want and flip yah the bird while passing by. Looks like any other face covered also, can't i.d. anywayz. If they go plates on front and back or just back ?
Now with an identifiable plate number, click digital camera - "busted"
Or RAPP it up good -- Hey we did'nt make the law lol -- the ministry is --
So go with the flow, and join the majority, or buck the system, and pay a fine and what ever else they make a law breaker do that get's caught breaking the rules.
They talked about this happening up here two years ago already.
Not only this but closing all trails and roads off the main ones up Greenstone is next, according to my buddy who went to the meetings.
Jel -- Timez they are a changing -- gonna cost a lot to play --

Stresd
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
The way I heard it on the Radio is that it will take up to two years to implement and will require any newly sold quads, etc, to be licenced. ICBC will be handling the plates & registration. So just the new ones? How would they know in a private used transaction. I'm not licencing my Argo. Hell it only does 20mph and is never on logging or any type of rd. Doesn't need to be:tongue: Should need a boat licence though:???:

30.06 Hunter
11-10-2009, 06:42 PM
"All ORVs will require registration, licensing and insurance coverage at time of sale and re-sale"

About time. You want to use an ORV, which includes snowmobiles, motorbikes etc, on public land then you can pay for the privilege.

OOBuck
11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Coming from an on/off road dirt bike perspective. Yes its just another tax. When will it end ? Now lets say for some people they can leave from their house in downtown penticton, meet all their buds at the gas station fill up have their coffee then head up the mountains all on their quad gun rack and all. Leave the truck at home. Drive on all roads up to 80kph. Thats why I love my bike for this reason. But other than that its bs

Oh "the man" won't let you do anything different than you do now he just want to tax you for doing it..

two words: F/O

Stresd
11-10-2009, 07:37 PM
" licensing and insurance coverage at time of sale and re-sale"

Exactly what I heard on the radio. I won't be selling or buying another one. So what sale and resale coverage. How would they know I even have an Argo. I've owned mine for over 7 years. Hauled a Pile of moose and deer out, yet no cop or CO has ever even seen it in all those years.. Could you elaborate or are you just guessing.:???:

bowhunterbruce
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
i feel that although this is gonna cost all of us with off-road vehicles abit of coin out of our pockets,i believe it will really do us all a world of good.
as an owner of a quad and by no means am i made of money, i wont hesitate protecting my investment. i have already had my first brand new kawi ripped off and it friggin cost me a big wad of cash.
the wife and i really enjoy the freedom we have and the places we can go with our bike and to lose another one would completely devistate her and our way or life.
registration dose not completely stop theft however it DOSE render the bike only useful to thieves,or those who buy from thieves and or parts.so it definatly becomes a deterant.
bruce

Squirrelnuts
11-10-2009, 07:53 PM
"All ORVs will require registration, licensing and insurance coverage at time of sale and re-sale"

About time. You want to use an ORV, which includes snowmobiles, motorbikes etc, on public land then you can pay for the privilege.

Privilege? Using our land is a privilege now?

JDR
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
You want to use an ORV, which includes snowmobiles, motorbikes etc, on public land then you can pay for the privilege.

Sounds like someone who doesn't have an ORV. I kinda thought it was a right of every Canadian, when did it become a privilege?

OOBuck
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Sounds like someone who doesn't have an ORV. I kinda thought it was a right of every Canadian, when did it become a privilege?

Pretty soon it will be a privilege to be able to have $hit!!:-?

steel_ram
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I think having a plate number to report is a good thing. Way too many asshats taking quads where they shouldn't. As for license cost, I don't think people that can buy quads are really worrying for money.

Franko Manini
11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Pretty soon it will be a privilege to be able to have $hit!!:-?

Yeah, right on buddy... I'm going to take a privelage right now.

The Hermit
11-10-2009, 09:26 PM
The part I don't much like is the mandatory helmet... that is the shits! I tend to ride pretty slowly and carefully and I sure haet helmets!

Kudu
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Guess that why I have just Bought a lovely little KTM 250 EXC - instead of the quad I had my eye on.

Here is to the licence plate tax and ICBC -http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/finger007.gif

David Heitsman
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I hope the costs will be minimal but I'm in favour of registering them.

I lost my son's Yamaha 250 and my Polaris 400 a few years back to theft right from my RV holding area where I live. Dealing with the police was futile as they said that without any registration process it would be impossible to trace.

I suspect that my machines have been thru a game check or forestry road patrol by now and if checked for ownership by the authorities I might have had them returned.

Perhaps I'm being a little Utopian but I think insurance /registration will reduce theft incidents due to lower probababilty of readily avalable fencing for the stolen units.

ICBC should be able to offer cheaper insurance than is available now once more ATV's are licensed. I think it was $575 to insure my Polaris 500 which was worth maybe 5,000 at the time. That's too high on a percentage basis.

Also when you are riding on a logging road and a logging truck comes around the corner and it's either you or him, I'd rather it be him going off the road to miss me knowing that I was insured to cover his damages. As it is now they are totally responsible for losses due to ATV avoidance when the ATV does not carry insurance.

As to the HST... we keep being told that things will be cheaper once it's implemented. Not likely but then the Olympics were to shield our province from recession too.

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I hope the costs will be minimal but I'm in favour of registering them.

I lost my son's Yamaha 250 and my Polaris 400 a few years back to theft right from my RV holding area where I live. Dealing with the police was futile as they said that without any registration process it would be impossible to trace.

I suspect that my machines have been thru a game check or forestry road patrol by now and if checked for ownership by the authorities I might have had them returned.

Perhaps I'm being a little Utopian but I think insurance /registration will reduce theft incidents due to lower probababilty of readily avalable fencing for the stolen units.

ICBC should be able to offer cheaper insurance than is available now once more ATV's are licensed. I think it was $575 to insure my Polaris 500 which was worth maybe 5,000 at the time. That's too high on a percentage basis.

Also when you are riding on a logging road and a logging truck comes around the corner and it's either you or him, I'd rather it be him going off the road to miss me knowing that I was insured to cover his damages. As it is now they are totally responsible for losses due to ATV avoidance when the ATV does not carry insurance.

As to the HST... we keep being told that things will be cheaper once it's implemented. Not likely but then the Olympics were to shield our province from recession too.

Registration and plates have not deterred snowmobile thefts. If the cops are too lazy to run serial numbers and rely on plates, it's futile.

Think ICBC will give people a deal? What turnip truck were you on?

There will be no HST on non-retail sales of used quads. If we do a private deal and the seller is not HST registered, there is no authority to charge tax under GST rules, so HST won't apply either. Current law, despite the fact that it is ignored, requires unregistered sellers to remit 7% PST on private sales. So, used quads in private sales will theoretically (legally?) be cheaper under HST than under the current PST rules that we all ignore.

Stolen quads will, unfortunately, end up being altered and registered for resale the same way the scumbags do snowmobiles. Sleds get a tunnel swap with an aftermarket Ekholm tunnel, crook goes to ICBC and says he built a custom sled, pays $5 and they give him a serial number and registration decal. Done.

Quads will get a custom frame, and the same bullshit will continue. Sad but true. Cops are far too full of donuts to bend down and check an engine serial number, also sad but true.

hunter1947
11-11-2009, 07:05 AM
I myself would think that registering a quad and having a plate on it will not stop thief.

The steelers will strip down the quad and will be sold as parts.

Nooker77
11-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Sort of like when they made the law to register rifles and shotguns to stop criminals from killing. How well did that work out? It's the same thing. It's just away to get money out of legit well mannered ATV owners. Complete BS.

There is now way in hell that this will stop ATV thefts.

Well as it is now....You can get stopped in a game check or by RCMP...ithere is no fast way to see if the machines are HOT oe legit!! f there is a number to check(plate with owner reg.) MAYBE a few less stolen machines will be such a "hot" ticket item!! Buddy just had Truck and quad stolen last week from vernon! RCMP said QUADS gone....might find the truck!! Talk to the sled heads..they have to have a reg. number..not sure if they like it or not...I'm for it Tax grab or not!! If the number goes with a serial # and its says its MY machine Then I have no problem with it!!! My 2cents!!:???:

yukon john
11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I like it just for the fact that I can report those bozos that rip by my horses in no motor vehicle areas

PeaceHunter
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Bill Benet who is iontroducing this stupid ass piece of legislation says this

"I own a quad, and I know this is the right thing to do. Recreationists have lots of fun riding their ORVs in Ontario and Quebec with a similar system and it will work well here in B.C. too."

Give me a break, in Ontario and Quebec they ride on groomed trails with posted speed limits with gas stations posted along the routes, sounds like a lot of fun. Frigin idiots.

This is just like the stupid pay before you pump policy, or having to get a boat drives license for a twelve foot lund with a 5 horse motor, another dumbass piece of legislation, that effects everyone but the people they are trying to target that will only be enforced when an otherwise law abiding citizen makes an honest mistake. The CO's and the RCMP have a hard enough time enforcing the laws and regulations that actually matter, let alone this POS.

If you think it will stop theft you are kidding yourself, thieves will just take the plate off, ooohhh tuff to do! and as for people tearing around illegally, they are going to do it anyways, they will just take their plates off or cover them with mud and we are back to where we started.

Just another stupid cash grab. That's my rant for the day.

GumbyFromLumby
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I like it just for the fact that I can report those bozos that rip by my horses in no motor vehicle areas

Next they will make you register and insure your horses. How would you feel about that?

GumbyFromLumby
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Bill Benet who is iontroducing this stupid ass piece of legislation says this

"I own a quad, and I know this is the right thing to do. Recreationists have lots of fun riding their ORVs in Ontario and Quebec with a similar system and it will work well here in B.C. too."

Give me a break, in Ontario and Quebec they ride on groomed trails with posted speed limits with gas stations posted along the routes, sounds like a lot of fun. Frigin idiots.

This is just like the stupid pay before you pump policy, or having to get a boat drives license for a twelve foot lund with a 5 horse motor, another dumbass piece of legislation, that effects everyone but the people they are trying to target that will only be enforced when an otherwise law abiding citizen makes an honest mistake. The CO's and the RCMP have a hard enough time enforcing the laws and regulations that actually matter, let alone this POS.

If you think it will stop theft you are kidding yourself, thieves will just take the plate off, ooohhh tuff to do! and as for people tearing around illegally, they are going to do it anyways, they will just take their plates off or cover them with mud and we are back to where we started.

Very well put. How can people really think that this is going to help. This is complete crap!

Ruger4
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
About time. You want to use an ORV, which includes snowmobiles, motorbikes etc, on public land then you can pay for the privilege.[/quote]

A privilege ? gimme a break ,

Ruger4
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Next they will make you register and insure your horses. How would you feel about that?

All mine are registered :mrgreen:

mark
11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Just another tax. Pound salt already.
Find those who are breaking the law and nail their balls to the wall. That is how to control the crap. Not too many shit head kids gonna burn down the road once a few $10,000 fines get laid out.

Agreed, punish offenders not law abidders!!!!!!!
Penalties are the only way to stop crime, not registration!
Are you guys ok raising your kids next to a pedophile, just because hes "registered", how about chop his package off and scrap the paperwork!

This is equally as stupid as gun registration, I cant believe some of you here support this crap!

Agreed 100%..... all quads are muddy, cops arnt going to go scratching around looking for serial nos, heck they dont do that on vehicles, just run the plate, thats all!
Sure doesnt prevent auto crime, does it!
Please people, bang yer head on the wall a couple times and think about this! Its just another paperwork, pain in the ass, cash grab!!!!! :mad:

Barracuda
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
well as Many know on here my Dual sport was stolen a while back . It was plated and insured , i have the clipping of it from the local paper and it clearly states that they caught him as a result of my bike NOT haveing a plate on it. (if it is meant to have a plate and does not it stands out like a sore thumb)

Its pretty simple , if everyone is supposed to have a plate then the ones without will stand out and be scrutinized . Police can run a plate in a second weather the quad is in the back of a truck or being ridden. Police also have the equipment to scan plates as they drive so if a quad plate that is stolen is seen then they would also know.

Beer swilling asshats can be held accountable for driveing like bozos , swapped plates can easily be picked up on also.

i think it will be good as you have a choice to either operate on public lands and plate it or you can operate on pvt land only and not plate it.

The choice is yours.

Squirrelnuts
11-11-2009, 04:34 PM
So what do you want me to do about it ? lol- ___ --
Jel-so what ? Pay the fee's get your plate or sell your quad --

Which is exactly what the government's hoping for, because when you sell it, it has to be registered and licensed. Through whom? Why ICBC of course! Hmmmm...

All ORVs will require registration and licensing at time of sale and re-sale.

Ulterior motive? Cash grab? Well, that'd be awfully cynical of me, wouldn't it?

Tired of this bullshit... Doesn't the government have bigger fish to fry than this?

frenchbar
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Next they will make you register and insure your horses. How would you feel about that?not going to happen...but atvs yes its going to happen...

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
swapped plates can easily be picked up on also.

Really? A red Honda with plate number 12345. How is that detected as swapped? It's not. Like I said before, the donut munchers will NOT be checking serial numbers, they will check plates, just like they do on sleds. Sleds are stolen just as much as quads, and are rarely recovered because of the lazy cops not checking S/Ns. Plates mean SFA when you can walk down to ICBC and get one for $5.

killman
11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Money grab! Now when ever a quad is sold they can collect tax on it. Just like snowmobiles.

Prowler
11-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Aha Ah ah ah BULLSHIT.... oh, excuse me....:twisted:

Jelvis
11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Got to have some form of identification, a plate would work, front and back.
Like a four wheel truck does, no different.
I see people driving in closed areas lots out where I have hunted and they don't fear nothing, I told one guy and he said, we all drive these, the whole town duz, not closed see yah, drives off.
Another guy told me, I gotta a special permit to drive on these roads, I planted some trees, I'm a contractor. He's got a rifle.
How does anyone know if their b'sing, lol. I walk two k and this guy pulls in ?
So now plates for identification according to Mr. Crueggarr. +
Closing off all roads of the main fsr's is coming too soon they told the dirt bike guys in the north shore here. Main roads no more side trails on Greenstone coming for off roaders.
Jel -- Same as when the seat belt rules came out, nobody wanted, we still got it.

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
The last time Jelly walked 2 km, quads weren't even invented yet. Good imagination though Jelster.

Jelvis
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Man you are quick -- The fisher dood -- lol -- on the quad again --
I think road closures are set there for people who want to ride horses and hike or pedal a mountain bike.
Me, I walk slowly along, with my walking stick, up the closed road and all of a sudden here comes a vehicle WHAT ?
Me and another guy really got into it one day over this, he claims he was legally driving all the closed roads because he was a contractor checking his tree's. I said, checking trees on Nov long week end ? Carrying a high power rifle beside the gear shifter ? Yah he said. Later my buddy and I seen em on another closed road driving like H and I'm thinkin what an a hole. Nothing I could do.
Jel -- it won't stop anyways cuz no one knows anymore, and don't seem to give a rodents dare ee air --

ALPINE
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
hmmm boating license just climbed from $ 25 to $75...:evil:..

the license for a quad is just a $$$$$$$$$$$$$grab IMO..

same as the gun registry never ever saved even 1 life,

just examples of the long greedy arms of govt reaching into your pockets..

Steven

I agree. What a bunch of BS!!!

Barracuda
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Really? A red Honda with plate number 12345. How is that detected as swapped? It's not. Like I said before, the donut munchers will NOT be checking serial numbers, they will check plates, just like they do on sleds. Sleds are stolen just as much as quads, and are rarely recovered because of the lazy cops not checking S/Ns. Plates mean SFA when you can walk down to ICBC and get one for $5.

this is the whole sentance in context

"Beer swilling asshats can be held accountable for driveing like bozos , swapped plates can easily be picked up on also"

simple when they run the plate and it does not match the equipment description then they know they have something .

plate for Red honda but the plate shows up on green yamaha. It isnt hard to figure out. or if someone steals a plate or claims it lost etc and the plate is run it will show up.

BTW you do realize that the police are also on quads right? running plates is very very fast and effective .

and trying to out run an officer is a big no no.

no it wont stop the real POS People but no laws ever do

gitnadoix
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I am willing to bet half the folks who are gonna say they will never get plates, are the same that said they would never wear seatbelts when they became law, (dam govt got no right,).

Just think for a minute if cars and trucks needed no plates, and yours got stollen. Do you think they are gonna start looking for all white BMW's in the lower mainland in case one is yours.....give your head a shake. It is obvious to all of us not just you that it wont stop all thefts, but it sure makes it harder to steal and sell.....sure the pros will still be at it but the drunk fly by nighters will soon be out of a hobby.

Heck prior to 1910 drunk driving wasn,t against the law either....dam govt....(that last bit was said with sarcasm) If a $100 a year from me gets 1/2 the alpine meadow, fish stream, private property damaging dick-weeds off their rides and enables 10% of the thefts returned sign me up.

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
this is the whole sentance in context

"Beer swilling asshats can be held accountable for driveing like bozos , swapped plates can easily be picked up on also"

simple when they run the plate and it does not match the equipment description then they know they have something .

plate for Red honda but the plate shows up on green yamaha. It isnt hard to figure out. or if someone steals a plate or claims it lost etc and the plate is run it will show up.

BTW you do realize that the police are also on quads right? running plates is very very fast and effective .

and trying to out run an officer is a big no no.

no it wont stop the real POS People but no laws ever do

Plates will match the equipment though, and that's the problem. The crooks get plates by ripping off your quad and building a new frame for it. ICBC instantly issues a serial number and a plate, no questions asked.

The point I was making was that the cops should check S/Ns, but they won't. They will only check plates, and the crooks ride free. This is why sleds are never recovered, and why licensing quads is going to be met with the same futility. At least with no plates, the cops had to check S/Ns if they had any suspicions. Now they will run valid plates on stolen quads, and even fewer hot buggies will be recovered.

Yeah, I'll register and go through whatever bullshit the law requires, because I always do (boat license, gun regs, etc). But I'm not the problem out there, and none of this will solve any of the problems. The gun registry caused us law abiders to comply, but the scumbags didn't and nothing has changed - the crooks shoot people with unregistered guns. Why you think this will be any different is beyond me.

GumbyFromLumby
11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I am willing to bet half the folks who are gonna say they will never get plates, are the same that said they would never wear seatbelts when they became law, (dam govt got no right,).

Just think for a minute if cars and trucks needed no plates, and yours got stollen. Do you think they are gonna start looking for all white BMW's in the lower mainland in case one is yours.....give your head a shake. It is obvious to all of us not just you that it wont stop all thefts, but it sure makes it harder to steal and sell.....sure the pros will still be at it but the drunk fly by nighters will soon be out of a hobby.

Heck prior to 1910 drunk driving wasn,t against the law either....dam govt....(that last bit was said with sarcasm) If a $100 a year from me gets 1/2 the alpine meadow, fish stream, private property damaging dick-weeds off their rides and enables 10% of the thefts returned sign me up.

So are you saying if a ATV has a plate on it when it stolen the police will be out looking for it. But if the ATV has no plate on it the police wont bother to look for it. I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say the thief's aren't gonna keep the plate on the ATV they steal.

I'm giving my head a shake allright. I'm shaking my head as I read your post.

Drillbit
11-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Meh....I don't think I'll be the first guy in line to give more money to The Man. First we'll get plates, next thing you know you'll have to apply for an LEH (LERiding) to ride in certin areas. Fooey

gitnadoix
11-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Well if they take the plate off, much like a stollen car, well um er then they would try to deal with buddy......do we have to start drawing pictures here or what its really not that complicted....

Its just one more tool aforded the cops to try and find stollen quads.....if they are dumb enough to leave the plate on easy catch if they take it off easy....

if they take a plate that they have registerd to themselves with the same make and model they will probably be just fine and waved on......but that does limit them some doesn't it.........

And no I dont beleive they will throw up road blocks but it makes it harder to hide stuff.....I give up dont get a plate then, and if your machine gets stolen and you report it and they ask for the plate number enjoy the little extra ticket to add insult to injury .

257WBYMAG
11-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Horse Shit!!! It will not stop the theives. It will not stop the asshats in the bush from driving on closed roads, they are asshats and will continue to be. All this is, Is nothing but a cash grab by your goverment. If this happens none of the stuff you guys are talking about will stop. Unless the goverment starts to hire at least three times the number of CO's that we have right now. More CO's in the bush and some of this might slow down. The reason you guys see so much of this closed road driving is these asshats know that they will never get caught. Even if you could report a plate number to your local Co's or RCMP please tell me that you dont think they will be charged and fined according to the law. It will be your word against their's. You all should pull your heads out of your asses and see the light of day. CASH GRAB!!! Nothing more nothing less!!!

hunter1947
11-12-2009, 07:02 AM
If they the government enforce this law the we should be able to take our quads to work ,there will be plated why not ???.

hillclimber
11-12-2009, 07:58 AM
i agree with hunter 1947. if not on the roads we could ride in the bicycle lanes lol.

hunter1947
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
i agree with hunter 1947. if not on the roads we could ride in the bicycle lanes lol.

If insured and platted and they have turn signals as for break lights why not.

If it comes down to having to have plates on your quad then we kill two birds with one stone we then will be able to travel from our home to our hunting areas on our quads if your hunting area is not to far away.

Take your quad to work save gas buy not taking your truck or car etc.

huntcoop
11-12-2009, 10:03 AM
How can most of you be so naive to think that the only reason this is being instituted is because of thefts, child safety and to save some habitat? Come on, shake your heads, CASH GRAB. The BC government sees a huge opportunity, that they have been missing for years, to fill the coffers. They are using theft, safety and saving lands as reasons because the majority of the population, that don't ride, love to read that shoit.

goatdancer
11-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Alberta requires plates on ATVs. Anybody have any stats on whether the amount of thefts decreased after the plates were introduced?

Barracuda
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
this isnt just for theft it is also so that they can get a handle on the wild west attitude thats says anything goes on an ATV . Drunk drivers, Land wreckers and general jack asses . It would be nice if people could be civilized and act in a manner that didnt cause a negative impact .

goatdancer
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM
this isnt just for theft it is also so that they can get a handle on the wild west attitude thats says anything goes on an ATV . Drunk drivers, Land wreckers and general jack asses . It would be nice if people could be civilized and act in a manner that didnt cause a negative impact .

The big problem with the announcement as it now stands is that it is for new or resold machines. There are lots of machines that will not have to be licensed, as it stands now. I think our wonderful government is just trying to get the new HST off any sales. All the rest is just window dressing.

GoatGuy
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Not sure how this got off onto stolen ATVs?

The intent is to be able to report and therefore reduce environmental damage.

There are several problem areas in the province where atv use is destroying the alpine.

Whether this new 'regulation' will work or not is another question.

The fine needs to fit the crime.

Barracuda
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
actually it is for all machines that are operated on public lands and for any machine that is being sold/purchased.

if you allready own one and only use it on your property or pvt property then you dont need it as far as i understand but if you sell it you will need it or if you buy one it will have to be registered.

here is some info

http://www.tca.gov.bc.ca/tourism/ORV/

http://www.tca.gov.bc.ca/tourism/ORV/general_qa.htm

Rubicon500
11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Another bs cash grab by the douche bags running the province. You think theyd take a hint, registering guns didnt stop shootings and murders putting lisence plates on a quad wont stop shiit. I sure wont be registering mine, its always coverd in mud so you wouldnt be able to read the plates anyways. And how on earth will registerying them stop theft or ppl driving in ponds and swamps? Last I looked theres a PISS load of vehicles getting stolen every day and theres alot of trucks driving in swamps and ponds, they all got insurance and lisence plates on them. For all you supporters of this horseshiit, so how do you plan on getting someones plate number thats driving in a swamp ? Walk up to him make small talk and casually wash the plate off so you can right it down ? All that will get you is a broken face and a muddy back. It would be your word agaisnt his if it went to the courts.

Barracuda
11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Another bs cash grab by the douche bags running the province. You think theyd take a hint, registering guns didnt stop shootings and murders putting lisence plates on a quad wont stop shiit. I sure wont be registering mine, its always coverd in mud so you wouldnt be able to read the plates anyways. And how on earth will registerying them stop theft or ppl driving in ponds and swamps? Last I looked theres a PISS load of vehicles getting stolen every day and theres alot of trucks driving in swamps and ponds, they all got insurance and lisence plates on them. For all you supporters of this horseshiit, so how do you plan on getting someones plate number thats driving in a swamp ? Walk up to him make small talk and casually wash the plate off so you can right it down ? All that will get you is a broken face and a muddy back. It would be your word agaisnt his if it went to the courts.

those are exactly the people that should be penalized . If some one (man women or child) were to walk up to a quad and take down the number because they were doing something against the law and they get assaulted do you really think that that kind of person should be allowed the freedoms af a civilized human being ?? do you really think that the person committing the assault would get away with it?
With all the recording devices people have on thier persons now do you really think that a preson would be stupid enough to do something?
!

oscar makonka
11-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Alberta requires plates on ATVs. Anybody have any stats on whether the amount of thefts decreased after the plates were introduced?

No difference, if it aint nailed down they will steal it, plates or no plates, Neither has it reduced the asshats that wreck the bush. It's getting so bad in the few mountains we got here that they simply are banning quads out of a lot of areas cause of the damage to creeks and alpine.

SUAFOYT
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
They still gotta catch you...and to anyone who says they can have a road stop on the way up and ding you with your quad in the back think again..they have to catch you using it in a manner that is against the law...not just driving it around in the back of your truck. It's clearly a case of more government, more taxes, more interference in our lives...I thought the liberals got elected, not the NDP...maybe there was a recount I missed.

But you see it was the Libs that got elected. Leave the NDP out of this and stick to the topic. This has nothing to do with the NDP and everything to do with who's in power right now. I'm getting a real kick out of the "I'm not going to register" types. Once it becomes the law of the land aren't we supposed to abide by it? I don't remember being allowed as a citizen to only abide by the ones I like. I could go back and see if any of those posters that say they'll ignore this are some of the same ones who post rants about law and order.:mrgreen:

Spokerider
11-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Well as it is now....You can get stopped in a game check or by RCMP...ithere is no fast way to see if the machines are HOT oe legit!! f there is a number to check(plate with owner reg.) MAYBE a few less stolen machines will be such a "hot" ticket item!! Buddy just had Truck and quad stolen last week from vernon! RCMP said QUADS gone....might find the truck!! Talk to the sled heads..they have to have a reg. number..not sure if they like it or not...I'm for it Tax grab or not!! If the number goes with a serial # and its says its MY machine Then I have no problem with it!!! My 2cents!!:???:

Yeah, well, are ALL of the major parts that your quad is comprised of stamped with a serial number??

So when your quad is stolen and parted out piece by piece......how is the licenseing going to help???

The answer is IT AIN'T.

Just another tax grab......

More regulations and restrictions......grrrrrr.

More hassels all around. :evil:

MRoy10
11-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Just another BullS&*T tax to put on us. Putting a liscence plate on a quad aint gunna do S&*T a few numbers yah its a complaint to the cops but they wont do anything about it just like a car or truck. I am so tired of this crap and about it being a priviledge to use the land Yes and no.
I thank god everyday I get to go out and about to the mountains but its my right to do so not a priviledge I should pay for. Not all of us are Disturbers of nature and ride in the no ride zones. I use a quad to get to the areas I get to In order to not Destroy Habitat Like a truck would( no offence to road hunters).... Simply Put BULLS&*T!!

MRoy10
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
those are exactly the people that should be penalized . If some one (man women or child) were to walk up to a quad and take down the number because they were doing something against the law and they get assaulted do you really think that that kind of person should be allowed the freedoms af a civilized human being ?? do you really think that the person committing the assault would get away with it?
With all the recording devices people have on thier persons now do you really think that a preson would be stupid enough to do something?
!

But his point was still made, Prove that he was there doing the illegal act Your word against his another show down.:confused:

Jelvis
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
The province is sucking wind financially now, we know that. Paying some more money is nuthin new. That's life, just like higher gas prices, and higher liquor co$t$. If your going to Play, then your going to Pay. Pay pal.
The people driving in and around road closures, do so because they chose so. Nobody made them drive there, they wanted to, I did'nt know that, are you sure ? Confusion, your brain is twisted and bent. You sayin people owe yah, so I'll take whats mine, it's my bottom, that's fine, I got heated gloves and a seat to match, I need some scratch heaven sent.
Payin the food along with the rent, your git up and go, got up an went.
Pay up like the majority, or be the minority, cheat the honest who pay in good faith. That's a disgrace, bring out the mace. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee - Hey watch out for the tree -- George of the jungle quadz --
Jel -- it's your own choice to do it or not -- no triplexxxcuses -- lol --+++ ---
When it says closed - it means CLOSED - walk a little 4 a change - Lard a$$ lmao
respect the hunters who enjoy a hike in other words make like the birds and flock --f
Att a way towards Chattaway --- > Road Closed to Motorized Vee hic ups hic i ment hicles <---
So stay out find another spot just down the road aways -- ohh kay ?
Can't you take no for an answer, lol -- ? hic hah
See yah would'nt want 2 b u. lol. yer face iz gittin blurry doood
Just joking folks i'm on both your sidez - it's on your side you duke it out -
I got no quad, no truck, that's the problem, JeLny Ches knee jerk some where
Jel -- have one for me you red neck$ from G.P. air ee -- lol -- +++ --- >
Stay Off my mountain.

Rubicon500
11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
!

My point is not about a broken face, although it could very well happen with some of the "wana rednecks" in these necks of the woods. A video tape wont do much if a quad is coverd in mud so you cant read the lisence plate or make of the quad. How are you going to track down the guy and get him in court ? Hey Mr. Police officer I seen a Brown mud coverd quad in a swamp, heres video evidence but even Grissom wont be able to make shiit out of it cuz well everythings coverd in mud." Mr police officers then says "thanks we will take the video and keep a eye out for him last we heard he was riding with a sasquatch" as he throws the tape in the garbage when you walk out the door. With some of the guys out there you could get punched or definatly thrown in the mud if you walked up wiped off there lisence plates. Say billy bobs riding by him self in a swamp, he has a massive turd brewing so he hops off and heads into the bushes to go leave some bear candy. As hes finishing his bussiness he sees Jonny Douche bag come out from no where, walking up to his quad and start poking around. Next thing ya kno billy bob thinks someone is trying to steal his quad so he comes out in a full sprint and hammers the guy. Worst thing that happens to billybob he pays a fine for riding in a riparian zone and douche bag has a broken face and muddy clothes for trying to be a PI quad master. Judge then tells douche bag if its not yours keep your ****king mits off it.

Rubicon500
11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
BTW im not tying to be a dick about any of it, thats just one of the scenarios and how it could go down. Some people are very protective about there toys

BCBigGame
11-13-2009, 11:22 AM
As much as I hate quads, I'm not sure that those who drive them, pissed to the gills at 11:00am permenatally ripping the grasslands and alpine apart would stop if they were required plates. Anytime I see a quad where or when it should not be I report it and the last couple of times, the CO has come out.
Two groups had their 'toys' seized while on the Junction this year. Hope they don't get them back!