PDA

View Full Version : Region 8: First Mule Deer

Ajsawden
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, this year was the year! I finally got to go on a mainland mule deer hunt! I went up with my dad and a couple of our friends.

We arrived in our area with some week old snow on the ground. Down low it was sparse, but up high it was a blanket of 3-4 inches of crunchy stuff. Day one my buddy and I walk up a big hill from a landing at the end of the road. At the top is a burned patch that we "are going to walk around and then through". Well, 5 minutes of walking showed that there was no around option. The burn patch was nigh on endless!!!! Either way, we're both level headed people and met up in the middle of the burn patch near a surviving patch about 50 yards by 50 yards. The ground was pounded and we decided that it would be a good idea to come here sometime in the future.

Day 2 we hike into the burn just before dark and plan on meeting up near the green patch. Well, I dont know where my buddy ended up, but I walked into the patch and saw there was some new sign. I was pretty excited and walked through and out the other side. Upon exiting the timber I started getting 'huffed' at. You know, that really loud exhaling. Well, I tip my Doe in a Can. (I think by Primos) The huffing stops and the deer runs towards me. It stops at 50 yards. Oh, my first mule deer buck I've seen while hunting. I had no way of judging size (He didnt look that big to me). I could clearly see one antler, it was a 3 point. Damn! Well, I sit and wait, but it spots me and runs a way. I tip the call again and it stops and walks back. Again, I can't see the other antler. I get a glimps and it looks like another 3. So, my nerves are calmed as now i'm just playing with the buck and not having to worry about getting a shot. Well, it runs again, and I again, tip the can. I don't see it this time, but I sit there for 5 more minutes. I take a step forward and it runs from 10 yards away behind some blow down. I tip the call one last time and it stops 65 yards away looking at me between 2 trees. I clearly see the three point antler, and as its getting dark, harder to see. It turns it's head. Hey, was that a 4th point! It turns it's head back. I watch through the binoculars it turns again. It is a 4!!!! Rifle up, scope on him... rifle down, binoculars up. Staring... 2 more minutes, yes, it definitly is a 4!! Rifle up, boom!

It was my first time counting points on an animal and it was stressful! The deer definitly cooperated with it being my first time. I really wanted to be sure, hence the check, check, re-check. I get up to him and "Wow, mule deer are way bigger than blacktails!" and "Wow, his antlers are way bigger than I thought!!! I was pretty excited!

By the time i got back to the truck, it was dark. No one could hear me calling, so I had to walk the whole way back. My dad and my buddy come back with me, and the other guy drives the truck down and around. I was pretty sure I saw a road below me about 400 yards. No luck. The road was about 800 yards below. Well, 2 hours later we finally hit the road, exausted. It was the most work I've had draggin a deer, but the biggest reward at the end.

Needless to say I'm hooked and plan on being back hunting Mulies next year!!!

Here's some pictures of my first Mule Deer Buck!

http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv273/Vanislehunter3434/?action=view&current=P1110539.jpg
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv273/Vanislehunter3434/?action=view&current=P1110538.jpg
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv273/Vanislehunter3434/?action=view&current=P1110542.jpg

greatwhitehunter
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Very nice Mulie, Congrats.

BCrams
11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Nice and tall!! Congrats!! Counting points is nerve wracking at times and important even with a large buck like yours.

MichaelB
11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Good looking buck. The talll tines will make a nice coat and hat rack!:mrgreen:.

"And on the fifth day the Lord made region 8 and saw that it was good."
-The Bible

Gus
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Hell of a first Muley, good job!

watson721
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
really nice first buck

jrjonesy
11-10-2009, 04:07 PM
That's a great deer and that much more exceptional being your first muley!

Good job on making sure you identified it was legal before shooting!

d6dan
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Congrats on your 1st Mulie.. Nice high tines on him...:)

sapper
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Congrats. Nice sized buck. Good for you for sticking with it.

coach
11-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats on a really nice buck! It's amazing how well those primos can calls work when the rut is on.

Brew
11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
great first buck. Very tall rack

hunter1947
11-11-2009, 07:31 AM
That is one fine mule deer you got for your first one ,can't get it much better then that ,very nice story of your hunt as well ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

BiG Boar
11-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Sweet buck! Way bigger than I am hoping for! What are you going to do with the horns? A mount or euro or what?

30-06
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
nice buck.
where abouts in region 8 were you

WoodOx
11-11-2009, 10:09 AM
congrats - great work. beaut of a first buck!

Ajsawden
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
nice buck.
where abouts in region 8 were you

Princeton +/- a few km.

Blainer
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Glad to see you tagged one!
Good on ya!
See ya up there next year as I'm sure you will be back.