PDA

View Full Version : Muley's around Chilliwack/Hope

steyr06
11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know of any good spots for muleys around chilliwack/hope area? Got skunked up by Merritt last weekend and was hoping to get out for a day trip before the rut ends.
Thanks

Prowler
11-09-2009, 09:55 PM
should be some good Blacktail hunting around there, but you might be hard pressed to find a "Muley" :)

Steeleco
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
There's a good mix of both in the Sowaqua and Caroline mines areas. Last fall found 2 hides at the 9km of the Sowaqua road. One mulie, one Blacktail!!
It's not easy country to hunt but the critters are there!!

jsburnett
11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi I am a new hunter, just got all my tickets and I was wondering if anybody knows where is a good local place too go. I live in Port Coquitlam. Looking for Mullies or Whitetail

steyr06
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
ive heard of people taking deer by harrison lake anyone else have any luck around there?

slashhunter
11-11-2009, 05:46 PM
i snapped a little spiker on the east side of harrison lake last october. he was standing in the middle of the main logging road close to the lake 40 feet from the front of the truck, he must of been lost..

sawmill
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi, I am an old hunter,are there any white tail bucks tied to a tree near Kimberley?

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't even bother trying to hunt Sowaqua or American Creek FSR etc. Those areas around Hope are literally impossible to walk through. The bush everywhere is so thick that's its plain frustrating trying to get into the timber.

Personally, if you are around chilliwack area, i would drive up the east side of harrison. Drive up the main FSR as far as you can, then take one of the side roads to the top of the hills. From there go around on foot. There should be some fresh snow starting pretty soon on the high peaks and should make it easy to find fresh tracks.

Robert_G
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't even bother trying to hunt Sowaqua.

Just wondering if you've ever been the upper part of that watershed.
I've been up there lots, and there is some really nice area to hunt. Yes, the timber is thick, but there is some good access to some nicely aged blocks as well.

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
ugh i just got home from east side harrison lookin' for blacktails. I hunted there quite a few times in the past. But today it was packed... so many of the side roads are gated off and everytime I go up on of the none gated roads I keep running into numerous hunters! then turn around and do it all again on a different road hahaha. I guess it is a busy day!. Alot of em' weren't hunters from what I can tell too... alot of dirt bikers and groups of people, like 5-7 jeeps and whatnot. Unless they are hunters prefer to hunt with 5-7 jeeps... to each their own haha.

But decided to head on home and blew out a tire on my way out!... but I'm still glad to have gotten out and enjoyed nature even if it was a little crowded.

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
ugh i just got home from east side harrison lookin' for blacktails. I hunted there quite a few times in the past. But today it was packed... so many of the side roads are gated off and everytime I go up on of the none gated roads I keep running into numerous hunters! then turn around and do it all again on a different road hahaha. I guess it is a busy day!. Alot of em' weren't hunters from what I can tell too... alot of dirt bikers and groups of people, like 5-7 jeeps and whatnot. Unless they are hunters prefer to hunt with 5-7 jeeps... to each their own haha.

But decided to head on home and blew out a tire on my way out!... but I'm still glad to have gotten out and enjoyed nature even if it was a little crowded.

The jeeps and dirtbikers are mostly just campers out for a 4x4 drive. You won't ever see that many hunters around Harrison. The majority are 4x4-ers, dirtbikers, campers.

Did you not walk up any of the gated roads at all? :-? Gated roads = good!
How far from the road until the gates????

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Just wondering if you've ever been the upper part of that watershed.
I've been up there lots, and there is some really nice area to hunt. Yes, the timber is thick, but there is some good access to some nicely aged blocks as well.

I guess i missed that then. Last time i was there, i was sick of driving, parked and tried to hunt the timber .... frickin' impossible to crawl inside.

bsa30-06
11-11-2009, 07:24 PM

This is the problem with harrison, and if you think today was bad you better stay away from there on a long weekend.If your going to hunt this area it will have to be way off the beaten path.

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
The jeeps and dirtbikers are mostly just campers out for a 4x4 drive. You won't ever see that many hunters around Harrison. The majority are 4x4-ers, dirtbikers, campers.

Did you not walk up any of the gated roads at all? :-? Gated roads = good!
How far from the road until the gates????
I wasn't sure about them gated roads... instead I drove as far as I could up a side road and got out and bushwacked though the intense thick bush!. I felt kinda weird walkin' through a closed gate... like I was trespassing or something haha even though I know I'm not. I just leaned towards gettin' well off the beaten path instead today!. I guess I really should walk those gated roads next time! good advice!. Makes for easy walkin' with minimal disturbances... I think i got a plan for next hunt!.

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh and the roads are usually gated off maybe 40 yards in.

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh and the roads are usually gated off maybe 40 yards in.

Try to find a road with a gate a little further in then 40 yds. Just so you don't leave your vehicle in plain sight where it could get broken into or vandalized ... you never know, lots of folks frequent that main FSR.

ruger#1
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Find out what Forrest company is working that area , and ask for a key. I have a buddy that welds those gates. He knows where i hunt and i never ask him about keys.

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Find out what Forrest company is working that area , and ask for a key. I have a buddy that welds those gates. He knows where i hunt and i never ask him about keys.

I think a lot of the gates on harrison east FSR are not closed because of logging, but rather because of yahoos dumping garbage etc. Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't spend too much time on the east of harrison.

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM
This is the problem with harrison, and if you think today was bad you better stay away from there on a long weekend.If your going to hunt this area it will have to be way off the beaten path.
Yeah, while i am still in region 2 it seems to be the least crowded place from everywhere I have been. I'm personally sick of region 2 and can't wait to get back home at the end of the month to cranbrook. I drive over an hour just get to the decent hunting areas and ofcourse even then they are like harrison and over crowded and really difficult to walk through or even spot anything from a distance due to the thick forest. I could try heading north passed squamish instead of east, but all hunters here tell me if i go up there I'll get hassled by peta people and granola's and all that BS. I'd rather not have someone runnin' down my way of life in the bush, it's bad enough I have to put up with that back in the city.

ruger#1
11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I never go there, to much traffic, I will ask him next time i see him.

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Try to find a road with a gate a little further in then 40 yds. Just so you don't leave your vehicle in plain sight where it could get broken into or vandalized ... you never know, lots of folks frequent that main FSR.
Good idea, I've left firearms in my truck while walking with my bow on eastside harrison before (ofcourse out of site and locked). I guess I'm used to smalltown life where people have a little more respect for other peoples property.

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Now you probably realize why i am jealous of guys who can get out hunting and still make it to work on time :(

You need to drive for over an hour just to get out of the city down here .....

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Now you probably realize why i am jealous of guys who can get out hunting and still make it to work on time :(

You need to drive for over an hour just to get out of the city down here .....
haha so ya have the pleasure of living in the lower mainland too!. I'm a smalltown guy born and raised... came here to vancouver a few years ago and had enough. I'm going home to cranbrook! where you can drive 5 minutes and be in prime hunting!. Somedays there actually seems to be more deer in town rather then in the bush!. Kind of a teaser, but always amusing!.

junkyard_g
11-11-2009, 08:43 PM
silverhope/skagit valley road isn't too bad. when i lived down that way i pulled a decent 3X3 mulie/blacktail hybrid off that road. It is slow throughout most of the season but gets better once the snow starts pushing them down. Can't give you any specific spots or my brother would kill me. he still lives down there.

killerkevin
11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
hahaha yeah I'd imagine ya gotta get really protective of good spots in region 2!. I was happy to find the mountains at harrison are capped with lots of snow today. I was hunting along the snowline all day hopin' the hand of god would push a nice buck my way!.

slashhunter
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
how about that skagit valley/ross lake area, anybody got a report on that?

Steeleco
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I was up the Skagit with my son on Saturday, not 1 or 2 km off the main we were in knee deep snow. Walked many a cut block and saw SFA!!!
Even went into the park itself and walked the trail to Sumalogrve (sp) for a few k's just to see if we could find critters, we found one grouse.

Then today we tried the few roads just north of Hope, the snow was dumb, even had to winch us backwords down one hill, or slide off of it.

The snow is coming in spades this year.

slashhunter
11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I know of some guys going in there and getting some nice 4 point blacktails start of december. I think i'm gunna have to try the same.

TheDuckinator
11-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Then today we tried the few roads just north of Hope, the snow was dumb, even had to winch us backwords down one hill, or slide off of it.

Me n my dad were too, ran into dutchy and nova blast, REALLY good guys. I think the snow pushed all but the monsters down to tulameen, buuuut we weren't able to make it there. (We were going for my last youth season)

Elkhound
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Then today we tried the few roads just north of Hope, the son was dumb, even had to winch us backwords down one hill, or slide off of it.

The snow is coming in spades this year.

There I fixed it for you...LMAO

Sorry Shane:tongue:

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
hahaha yeah I'd imagine ya gotta get really protective of good spots in region 2!. I was happy to find the mountains at harrison are capped with lots of snow today. I was hunting along the snowline all day hopin' the hand of god would push a nice buck my way!.

at what elevation was the snow line ... curious what it has lowered to now.

Steeleco
11-12-2009, 07:08 AM
At 7am yesterday morning the snow was on the ground in Hope. The freezing level did raise some during the day, but not much. One ridge we walked was 12 to 15 inches deep and we were only a few hundred feet above the Coq near the Portia exit.

MikeH
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
The deer are around I harvested one with the bow 2 days ago 2x2 ..well 2x main beam. he broke off the points on one side.:mrgreen: