PDA

View Full Version : Why Goat Hunt?

recon
11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Why Goat Hunt?

The reason I ask you guys this is because the idea of goat hunting sounds very cool. I have some mountaineering skills and love the idea of being in the higher terrain and hunting. But I dont really want a goat mount. Is the meat tasty?

I ran into some goat hunters whilst deer hunting, they sounded like they were having my kinda fun...

Thanks for the insight!

KB90
11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
My friend sells the hide to a taxidermist. Worth a few bucks.

c.r.hunter
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Because it can be one of most exciting hunts you'll experience. The meat from the 2 I've taken was excelent, though a little tough. I've talked to guys who claim to have had bad tasting meat from billies in the rut.One of mine was taken in early Sept and the other in mid october.

ufishifish2
11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Why Goat hunt? Bad time to ask. I still remember this falls hunt. Still remember the cliffs, straight up burn of the legs, straight down shake of the legs. Ask me again early September and I'll give you a totally different answer about beautiful views, quality hunts, pure clean air and other such B.S.

budismyhorse
11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
it can be a very challenging and rewarding hunt! If you are selective, it can take a lot of boot leather and sweat to find a good mature billy. You can make it quite easy or difficult depending on the standards you choose for yourself.

Try to find a mature billy with good hair in a place you are 100 % sure you can safely retrieve (in good shape).....and you have yourself a difficult trophy to find!

They live in some of the most tricky and beautiful country in our province, and just being up there with them is worth it.

the meat is great if taken care of and cooked properly.

tomahawk
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Its a hunt full of challenge, beautiful scenery, high country landscapes and the resulting meat is good eating. Totally different hunting to other big game.

yukon john
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
sucker for punishment

troutseeker
11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Awesome hunt which makes you feel like you've accomplished something whether successful or not. Beautiful views, interesting terrain, hard work, a dose of danger and great stories to tell your friends!

The meat is good, if sometimes a little though. I just had some delicious goat smokies, good on their own or in the pasta sauce, yum.

You don't want a mount, that's ok, a taxi will buy the hide if you are strong enough to hoof it off the mountain and those goat horns on the mantle piece make a memorable trophy to remind you of the fun you had while up there!

boxhitch
11-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Why? Its another good excuse to be in the mountains.
And like any hunt, it should be about the hunt, not whether you collect a trophy.
A full sized tanned cape makes a good keepsake too.
IMO the hair is the trophy, not the horns.

Ron.C
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I tried my hand at my first goat hunt last year. This is what I learned

1. Goats live in big country

2. Goats live in big country" worth repeating as my idea of what big country was changed dramatically during this hunt

3. Just because you are within shooting range of a goat, doesn't mean you can or should still shoot "recovery may be impossible"

4. Grizzly bears are big at 40 yards when only armed with a bow and bear spray

5. Solitude is nice, but a partner would of been better "see note 4"

6. every ounce counts

7. I have no idea what a goat tastes like, as I didn't fill my tag. But you can bet your ass I am going to try again in the next few years.

Kirby
11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Masochism.

Kirby

Buck
11-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Meat is delicious my brother and i would pick away at a roast till it was gone.Suprisingly good eats

recon
11-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow, thanks for the great replies on this topic. I'm gonna give it a try next year I think.

I've done my share of climbing the local mountains... and I hear ya, absolutly gorgeous views! A ton of work but so rewarding. I'm very excited about the prospects of goat hunting next year!