PDA

View Full Version : Jr size .22 for my 6 year old ?

Slime green cat
11-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Thinking of getting my boy a jr sized .22 for his 6th birthday next month .
Is 6 too young ? Of coarse he would only be shooting it directly under my supervision witch should go without saying .

He is really eager to shoot my guns as I would guess most boys would be. I have tried him on my Ruger 10/22, but its scoped and he has a hard time lining anything up in the scope cause his eye is either too close or too far etc ... and then the size is also a problem .

I checked out this little guy http://www.henryrepeating.com/h005_minibolt.cfm at Reliable gun last week .
Seemed like a nice little gun, and only $179 .

What do you guys think ? is 6 too young ? anyone have experience with that gun ?

I appreciate any input :smile:

Charlie
11-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I personally don't think its too young. My oldest is almost 7, he has had the Henry Mini Bolt .22 since he turned 6.

When we are up at the property he can carry it when with me and I give him rounds one at a time when its time to shoot.

I stress proper handling, muzzle control, proper aim etc. I believe this will set him up for life with safe handling and a love of shooting sports.

Never too young IMO. The NRA is right, you want your child to never be involved in gun crime etc? give him a gun when hes a kid...

steelheadSABO
11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
the chimpmunk rifles are pretty small too

Steeleco
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I started my 2 kids on an air rifle till they could hold a bigger rifle properly.
Then a I took a 10-22 wood stock and shortened it near 2". They're real easy to find used or in rough shape for such projects!!
Has worked good for my son, now my daughter use's it and it fits good.

landphil
11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I picked up an old cooey single shot .22 from a co-worker for my son - and he's not even two! :eek: I would have waited a while but it was $25 and it gives me lots of time to do the work it needs. I like the idea of a single shot for any newbie in case excitement of hitting the target overruns safe handling, but with proper supervision this should never be an issue anyway. As for age to let him shoot it, it will depend entirely on his level of responsibility and his ability to listen. I'm guessing maybe 6 - 7 :wink:

killman
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I have a henery mini for my kids and think it is a great little rifle. It is safe being you need to manually pull the bolt back. The sights are nice for them to easly see as well. $179 is a good price I think I paid over $200 a couple years ago at WSS in Calgary.

Slime green cat
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys
I thought of cutting down the stock on my 10/22 and taking the scope off, but then I would be out a grouse gun :tongue:
I also like the idea of a single shot for a beginner .

Sounds like 6 isn't too young .... every kid is different, I figured he is old enough but wanted to hear others thoughts ?

I think I just might swing by Reliable in the next week or so and grab that little Henry for him :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, mom is going to be thrilled :eek:

Steeleco
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Wait till that little cute guy is filling the freezer, Mom will be real happy. Trust me.

Gord
11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Just bought a Savage Cub with thumb hole stock, seems like the kids can hold it easier with the thumb hole. It is a single shot,has a peep sight and yes it is pink ... but it comes in regular wood grain color as well. It is also a fair bit shorter than other 22s we looked at. $309 at Wholesale Kamloops.

Gord.

Slime green cat
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Wait till that little cute guy is filling the freezer, Mom will be real happy. Trust me.

Mom doesn't eat meat , doesn't like guns and isn't a fan of hunting :confused:
She doesn't discourage me from it or disagree with it, its just not her cup of tea :???:

spreerider
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I take my 5yo kids out shooting and they shoot my marlin 39A but its too heavy for them to stand and shoot so they use a rest,
I was just looking at my old cooey break .410 and wondering if they are big enough to shoot it yet but i think i will wait a bit.
I have been wanting a henery survival rifle for a while now so i may go looking for one soon.
I want to get a youth .270 or other smaller centerfire for them to start out on in a couple of years.

They cant wait to go hunting and ask me every weekend if they are old enough yet :)

Steeleco
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Mom doesn't eat meat , doesn't like guns and isn't a fan of hunting :confused:
She doesn't discourage me from it or disagree with it, its just not her cup of tea :???:

Well at least she's open minded enough to let you and your son enjoy what you love to do. Good on her.

yama49
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
http://
heres my son, 6.5 at the time..http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/IMG_5712.jpg

Slime green cat
11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Well at least she's open minded enough to let you and your son enjoy what you love to do. Good on her.

Yup, she's a gooder :mrgreen:
Wish she was more into hunting, but I really cant complain .... she loves everything else outdoors ... camping, quads etc ... and she lets me do whatever I want and buy whatever I want without any grief, and I never need to ask permission for anything, unlike like some guys I know :roll:

Slime green cat
11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
http://
heres my son, 6.5 at the time..http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/IMG_5712.jpg

Great picture :-D cant wait to get out shooting with my boy ...
So are those guns good shooters ?

yama49
11-11-2009, 08:40 PM
slime,
Yeah they seam to be great guns, shoot well, and havent had any probs. i just cut 1.5 inches off in the chop saw so it fit better. well worth the money. i picked mine up at wss in kamloops.

Ruger4
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
both my girls began with the same 'ol single shot cooey .22 I started with, and hopefully their kids will too ......

moosetaken
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I started my kids off with an old single shot cooey, same rifle I started with when I was around 6 or so. It's an "ex" scout gun. from a time when politics were different and each boy scout troop had their own guns. My dad bought it when things were changed in the late 70s. I'm glad I didn't invest in anything too expensive cuz they grow up quick and keep moving up through the gun cabinet. At 10 I let them come hunting and move up from .22s to .410 for grouse, at 11 they can move up to an old 30-30 savage for deer as well, at 13 my son moved up to a .303 with a cut down stockand at 14 this year he moved up to a .12 gauge for birds and a 30-06 that are full sized. Time flies and the best memories are hunting and at the range.

Slime green cat
11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I swung by reliable yesterday and picked up the Henry Mini Bolt .
Got it for only $160 .... what a steal . I think its a great little gun for the money, hell at that price everyone should have one .
Its so short and light, you could wear it on your leg in a holster . It will be a great little grouse gun to hang off the side of my pack while out big game hunting .

My boy is going to be thrilled Im sure .... :mrgreen:

They have a few more in stock if anyone wants one .... great x mas gift for the little ones :)

Mik
11-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I had all 3 of my girls started with a pellet rifle, the a pellet pistol, by age 6 they were shooting the .410 and now have no problems with a 308 and 30-06. Its never too early.

MikeH
12-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Can't wait to get one for my 7 yr old daughter it's going to be fun this spring.