PDA

View Full Version : Who uses scent pads from deer to hunt other deer in B.C.?

Jelvis
11-09-2009, 07:41 PM
--deleted--------------.

rock
11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Scent with calls works very well juring certain times of the year, I always drag a scent rag behind me towards where I'm going to sit and has worked well in the past and espect it to work in the future. A full bladder on a mature buck is like gold as well great for scenting an area to bring in other bucks, between that and scent glands can be really productive. From the coast to up country seems to work just as well.

wildprotien
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Are you talking about the glands on the back leg ? If so yes I have cut them out and sat them on stumps in my shooting lanes and have harvested deer while doing so.
Now would we have gotten the dear without the glands ... who knows.
We also kept the pi$$ bag out of bucks full of urine tied it off kept it in a baggie till the next day hunting and poured it in scrapes.
Can't say that was productive in bringing in bucks to freshen up the scrape but who knows again ... maybe they did at night ...
This was for whitetails ...

Jelvis
11-09-2009, 08:38 PM
---------------------

greybark
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
:mrgreen: Hey Jel , How do you think Griz find their prey . If you decide to wear the scent glands on your boots I get first dibs on your truck :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Cheers

Jelvis
11-09-2009, 09:35 PM
-----------------------

tomahawk
11-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Jelly, an ex-coworker of mine uses the scent pads from the previous yrs deer all the time, however he uses it as a cover-up scent for his odor. It doesn't hurt as he always gets his deer.

KevinB
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
The whitetail I shot last year was nose to the ground, following my tracks - I had rubbed a doe tarsal gland on my boots the previous day. The doe was taken before she should have been in heat but even so I'd say it had an effect on that buck.

Needless to say I saved those suckers in the freezer....

Jelvis
11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
---------------------------

rocksteady
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
got this as an email from a co-worker the other day, he said he saw it on WildTV or such......

"It's an easy recipe:

Take the testes of the animal you want to make the lure for (Elk/Deer/Moose)

Cut them open and scrape out he pasty material inside (good thing it's dead!)

Take that paste and put it in a clean glass jar.

Add an equal amount of Vodka (so for 4 oz paste add 4 oz vodka,(or pure alcohol if you know someone who distils their own)

Mix well and let sit for minimum 3 months in a cool dark place

After 3 months, add the same amount of glycerine (4 oz in example used)

IF you can find it, add a few drops of Tonquin (it's a smell enhancer made from the tonquin bean)

Let sit for another 3 months or even better 1 year total.

Use a few drops at a time.

Apparently works real good."

laredo318
11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
"Add an equal amount of Vodka (so for 4 oz paste add 4 oz vodka,(or pure alcohol if you know someone who distils their own)"

I was thinking some awful things as I read this part....NO THANKS!!:mrgreen:

trailhunter
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM
what about takeing the sent glans off the deer and put in a un use spray bottle.............drink alllllllllllllll night long and just before you pass out you then eat a pound of asparius. Then sleep 12 hours and hold your piss the whole time then when 12 hours is up piss in the spray bottle with the two mature buck sent glans. Shake well and let sit for a week then wuuullllaaaaaa the rankest piss of all time.............the bucks will be coming in from 10 miles away. lol

LYKTOHUNT
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
:mrgreen: Hey Jel , How do you think Griz find their prey . If you decide to wear the scent glands on your boots I get first dibs on your truck :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Cheers
Now thats funny I dont care who you are :)

carnivore
11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
got this as an email from a co-worker the other day, he said he saw it on WildTV or such......

"It's an easy recipe:

Add an equal amount of Vodka (so for 4 oz paste add 4 oz vodka,(or pure alcohol if you know someone who distils their own)

After 3 months, add the same amount of glycerine (4 oz in example used)

IF you can find it, add a few drops of Tonquin (it's a smell enhancer made from the tonquin bean)

Let sit for another 3 months or even better 1 year total.

Use a few drops at a time.

Apparently works real good."

You forgot to mention that the container should be labeled in both french and english " Not to be taken internally" LOL

BearStump
11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
It's an easy recipe:

then give a couple shots to the drunkest guy at the party.:mrgreen::mrgreen::???:

Jelvis
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
---------------------------

MikeH
11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
I have used the scent glands before even dragged a rag too.Has it made me more successful who knows.I still shoot deer either way.The scent thing for me is more for bow than rifle.Usually I just used a scent block and pay attention to the wind.

hunter1947
11-11-2009, 06:49 AM
I use belly patches off of bulls that I have shot in the past ,I put them in my freezer for the hunt next year ,they work great ,never have used deer scent pads ,I have to agree that they would help cover your scent up by using them.

Jelvis
11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
------------------------------deleted