PDA

View Full Version : rod repair

mrpeeperz
11-09-2009, 07:31 PM
hey all, i have a fly rod that i was borrowing from a buddy, and long story short i busted the very tip eye off, does anyone have any suggestions as to where i can get this fixed in the cowichan valley? i am in the duncan area and my buddy is gonna see this post for sure hahahahah

NaStY
11-09-2009, 08:15 PM
If you still have the tip guide just use a bic lighter to heat it slightly. Pull it off and either use some epoxy or hot glue (very very very little amount) and just stick it on the tip.

If it is broken further down (like a few guides ) then you will have to have a new tip or top made or purchased....

Fisher-Dude
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah what nasty said. You can also buy ferrule cement at most sports shops, and it's the right stuff to use. Heat the stick of cement, and roll out a thin cylinder of cement. Place it inside the eyelet sleeve, heat the sleeve to re-melt the cement, then push it onto the end of the rod. Flake away excess. Done.

Krico
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Instead of being a cheapass, why don't you do the right thing and replace it.

This way he might actually lend you something again in the future.

K-1
11-10-2009, 12:15 AM
You can give Barry at Success Tackle Co. a call. He has done 2 rods & reels for me. He is at 1555 Shawnigan- Mill Bay Rd. phone # 250-743-3782.

mrpeeperz
11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
thanks for all your help. it busted right at the tip directly under the guide. and thanks for the advice kricko, really helpful, you should start your own advice website

Chuck
11-10-2009, 10:21 PM
hey all, i have a fly rod that i was borrowing from a buddy, and long story short i busted the very tip eye off, does anyone have any suggestions as to where i can get this fixed in the cowichan valley? i am in the duncan area and my buddy is gonna see this post for sure hahahahah

WOW!.........Sin #1 where I come from.

Krico
11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Fishing rods are never the same once you break them. But I guess you don't care since it's not yours. I broke a borrowed rod once, and never thought for an instant to do anything but replace it.

abbyfireguy
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I think you just bought yourself a fly rod and your buddy has a new one coming.
I wouldn't do anything less,maybe thats just me but I don't think so.
If I break something I borrow it gets fixed proper or replaced,thats just common courtesy unless the friend is ok with the fix. I would at least offer to replace it.

meesemoot
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I'd own up to it and let the owner decide what's fair. It may be covered by warranty. Most likely, he didn't lend you his good rod, knowing these things happen, and will just move the tip guide to the "new tip". Not telling him would be bad form, and would likely get you onto his "don't lend" list if he noticed. (he would)

Jagermeister
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I have built the odd rod or two, mostly fly rods, and I will attest that the rod's casting characteristic will change. It may be slight, depending on how far the break is away from the tip and how close the next guide is to it. If it is a production rod, the next guide to the tip will be a fair distance, 6 or 8", and if the rod broke right at the tip, you can follow the suggestions of heating the tip to remove the old tip and simply put it back on as the rod taper should be about the same in the last 3 or 4". The casting characteristic would be very negligeable. If the rod was a custom job and the next guide to the tip is closer, different story. You may want to offer to buy the rod from your friend if you want to keep him as your friend. With any luck, it's not his prized rod and he will tell you to forget it, afterall, who would lend their prized fishing rod to just anybody!

mrpeeperz
11-21-2009, 09:23 PM
thanks Jagermeister, you seem to be one of the few people that gets it ( yes there were a few others) i never said i wanted to hide it. i just wanted to know where it can be done and who is good at it. its an old piece o crapola that it doesnt really matter. its at the tip.... right at the tip, like into the final guide.

now on the other hand, now that my house has flooded with all this lovely river overflow and my shop went for a big ole crap, i have 2 broken rods as stuff floated causing major crashing and bashing causing things to come off the wall..... and break. this one is screwed though. about 4 inches down and not good at all, i am glad this one is my old salmon one and not the one i bought last year

Jagermeister
11-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Try heating the tip and removing the piece of rod out of it. You should not need too much heat and may have to hold it with pliers. A small pick should be able to extract the piece. If you manage to do that, then if you have a hot glue gun, you can use that to reattach the tip. You may have to do some very light sanding to get the tip to slide on. Hopefully, the rod does not have a longtitudinal fracture, if so, that means that the rod will have to be trimmed back to eliminate the fracture. This means shortening the distance between the tip and first guide even more and will have to be done with a very, very narrow fine toothed saw.

000buck
11-21-2009, 09:56 PM
any one think to ask what brand these rods are any rod worth repairing can be returned to the dealer for factory repair ...Most of the time at no cost

240gord
11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
You can take it to Buckies in Duncan they can fix it.
Gord.
________
Honda Wiki history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Wiki)

Benthos
11-22-2009, 11:09 AM
what brand is it??

as many have attested, a fly rod is never the same when broken. i've gotten away with using a gear rod that was broken and fixed, but the fly rod will NOT be the same.

most brands in excess of $100 have a warranty, maybe something to consider. if it is a cheapy, i'd keep the friendship and just buy a new one and fix the broken one for yourself.

good luck.

Laurence_Erickson
11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
It has never happened to me :) .How do you like your new rod?? good luck with your buddy