PDA

View Full Version : fort st john Deer.

bcbooner
11-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Thinking of heading up to the upper/lower Cache creek area to chase some Deer.Does anyone know how the access is to crown land in that area,need a spot to set up a wall tent.Any insight would be great.Thanks.

dukester
11-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I lived there for 15yrs and tried every 15 yrs to get permission . if you can sneek in on crown theres good deer.

ruger#1
11-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Go in the blue earth lake area just up from Spences Bridge. Camp around the lake, There are some nice clear cuts and if you know the area you can come out north of Cache Creek on Hiway 99. I think that area is 3-17. Has some moose and bighorn sheep also.

bcbooner
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks Ruger, but im looking at Cache creek west of fort st john.

moosinaround
11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Ruger, but im looking at Cache creek west of fort st john.
Umm...............................Dawson Creek??? Might want to check a map??!!

pappy
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
No he means cache creek. its about half an hour to an hour or so north of f.s.j on highway 97. At the back half of the lower there is some crown land if you stay to the right. I don't know how big of an area it is, but I have been lazy and road hunted it.

Jetboat
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Access to Lower Cache is via Mile 68 (west) of the Alaska hiway, about 25 minutes north of Fort St. John. Virtually all of the land back there is private and access is very hard to obtain. There is some crown graze land but it's extremely hard hit by our local road warriors and not many deer leave the private ranches. I hunted that country for many years as my ex's grandfather was one of the original homesteaders back in towards Red Creek. He has since sold his deeded 1000 acres and the new owner doesn't allow anyone in. Here's a pic of a typical muley buck from back in that area, this one I took in 1992...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/MuleyMount.jpg

moosinaround
11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Excellent to know! Thank You!! Moosin

pappy
11-09-2009, 07:42 PM
the deer are big back there, I've mostly seen them on farm land too. A friend of mine shot a whitetail in there last year on crown land. I've spotted more moose and coyotes on the crown than deer. I drive in there on the way back from hunting north of there.As for the upper cache I really haven't spent much time in there to know where to set up camp.

BCrams
11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
You will be in it tough if you don't have permission to hunt most of the private land in there. Just because there are trees doesn't mean its not private. A rancher may have 1 section of land (1 mile x 1 mile) and only a quarter section (half mile x half mile) will be fields. Lots of guys mistakenly think the timber / breaks are crown land when it isn't.

Obtaining the proper maps from Macs (McElhanney) will delineate all the private from the crown land areas and highlight the land owners name(s) to try obtaining permission from landowners. However, past experience in the area shows very few if any of the land owners in the Upper / Lower Cache area who's willing to let you hunt.

pappy
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
You can gete maps in f.s.j. at McElhenney's that show crown and private land. there not cheap, there over two hundred bucks. its good to have when theres lots of farms around.

brewski
11-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Thinking of heading up to the upper/lower Cache creek area to chase some Deer.Does anyone know how the access is to crown land in that area,need a spot to set up a wall tent.Any insight would be great.Thanks.
Lived and hunted this area for 30 years. with that said there are no wild deer on the upper or lower cache creek area. they all belong to the farmers. They are very protective of THEIR deer and very seldom will let others harvest them

hunter fisher
09-17-2014, 09:48 AM
so where does a guy go for good crown land around fsj?

natebavis
09-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Taylor , Braden road has easy access to crown. Seen moose/deer/elk .Hudson Hope, not to far from john

Angus
09-19-2014, 09:28 AM

As mentioned there's plenty of Crown land accessed off the Braden, Septimus, Sanataa Roads to the southwest of FSJ. For most areas,you don't specifically need the big, expensive laminated map book. If there's a specific area you want to hunt, head to McElhanney in FSJ (250.787.0356) and request a specific area map. Just need to know what companies (oil and gas) are operating/developing those areas, or for better widespread coverage, go with a pipeline company (Pembina, etc.). Just ask what are the most recent maps for certain areas, and they will illustrate Crown and Private lands.

But be aware that a lot of Crown land is tied up with grazing leases, and the ranchers will have there cattle legally on there until October 15th (I believe), and typically still rounding them up until the end of October.

f350ps
09-19-2014, 09:43 AM
I've got the map book from McElhenneys that shows all the crown and private. It even tells you who owns the private land, although that doesn't mean you can find where they live as we found out. Call me if ya want to borrow it! K

BRvalley
09-19-2014, 11:25 AM
I believe the sanataa is part of the sunset community pasture and posted no hunting till oct 31, not sure on the boundaries...nov is big with the road warriors, lots of industry traffic as well