PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 Hunting

the sentencer
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I know no one likes to give away secrets spots or anything like that but does anyone ever have much success in the Chwk Valley area hunting for Blacktail? I am willing and capable to hike in FAR or also looking for some easier spots where I could bring the wife along for a drive show her what hunting is like locally. If anyone is willing to let me in on a little local knowledge that would be hugley appreciated. Driving far always for bucks isn't making for cheap meat so i'm looking to stay closer to home.

Jeffb
11-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Its tough hunting, have to be willing to spend lots of time sitting and Hiking if you want to get much out this way. You can get some road hunting i suppose but would be better off gettin outa the truck and gettin off the beatn path so to speak. But thats just may 2cents

Th0r
11-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Blacktails are never cheap. You are better off heading for Muleys in the interior. It will take lots of time and effort for sure. I am convinced that there is no quick way to bag a BT. I am in my 4th year:confused:

Kudu
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I know no one likes to give away secrets spots or anything like that but does anyone ever have much success in the Chwk Valley area hunting for Blacktail? I am willing and capable to hike in FAR or also looking for some easier spots where I could bring the wife along for a drive show her what hunting is like locally. If anyone is willing to let me in on a little local knowledge that would be hugley appreciated. Driving far always for bucks isn't making for cheap meat so i'm looking to stay closer to home.

Google Earth my friend - Google Earth.

Just look for the most likely spots with saddles and water - deer do not walk up steep slopes - neither should you, deer like all animals need water - deer like all animals need food. I tend to look for natural funnels - these will bring transitory animals close to the tree line - Ideal for bow hunters which I am. When scouting - look for those tell tale game trails - find them and you will find deer.

The people on here will not give you the time of day, let alone pointers to hunting - Good luck.

Ddog
11-09-2009, 05:43 PM
BT are definitely harder to hunt, but they are very pattern-able deer, i successfully harvest 1 or 2 bucks every year i hunted them in region 2 with my bow, 1 year due to my own fault i never tagged 1 but that was just from bad shooting. mind you i looked hard all year for them and watched them every chance i could get. Spent my fair share of friday and saturday nights watching deer and learning as much as i could about them. For me it was a major quest that i was lucky enough to fulfill. It did not just start in hunting season when they were open.
i was able to pattern at least 10 different bucks in the off-seasons that i ended up taking in the first few days of the seasons.
there is lots of spots for you to go, region 2 is very large and sports many spots.

pupper
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Blacktails are never cheap. You are better off heading for Muleys in the interior. It will take lots of time and effort for sure. I am convinced that there is no quick way to bag a BT. I am in my 4th year:confused:

True that. I have spent way more time hunting blacktails in the fraser valley than I have muleys in the interior and here is my count so far:
Blacktails-0
Muley Bucks-4

ruger#1
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Snow is pushing the Blacktails down lower and they are in the rut a bit, The bucks will have a musky smell to them. As for this comment [deer do not walk up steep slopes ] I almost fell over laughing. I hunt where they go up and down and it is steep.Take a doe bleat and a rattle bag with you and try a bit of this. Check the clear cuts . Go in the woods about 20yrds from the clearcut and you should find the deers trails. As for water, There is so much out there that i wouldnt worry about hunting around a watering hole unless you were hunting in the dessert.

Ironball
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I successfully fill my region 3 muley tag yearly and most years fill my region 7 moose tag but i have yet after 3 years of trying ,yet to take a BT.I have been out 5 times this year and have only seen 2 does.Keep tryin different areas and get out and walk.Maybe one day the BT gods will shine down on us.

Steeleco
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
They can be found all over the LML and eastern Fraser valley. But them that have a spot won't be too willing to share.

Find a spot that has plenty of tracks and get to know it. Sooner or later you'll be posting pictures!!

twoSevenO
11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
They can be found all over the LML and eastern Fraser valley. But them that have a spot won't be too willing to share.

Find a spot that has plenty of tracks and get to know it. Sooner or later you'll be posting pictures!!

Yup.
Every year i dedicate a few weekends to blacktails in the LM, simply because 1) It's a stones throw from home and 2) The season is open even after almost all other MUs close.
I have yet to score on a blacktail, there just isn't too many of them around, but heres a couple of tips from my experience:

1) Don't walk and expect to see them. The only way I've ever seen them is sitting silently in a spot for an hour or two.
2) Don't rely on google earth too much. I've found spots that looked awesome on google earth, only to find them either recently logged or a total disappointment from what i was expecting to see.
3) Leave the truck. Chances are, if your truck can get to the spot, it isn't a very good blacktail spot.

having said that, i should repeat again, i've yet to shoot one, so..... :-D
(Maybe this year :mrgreen:)

Chasinracks
11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I saw a 3 pt and a doe last September and again a fat doe last saturday around 3:45 pm on my way to Chilliwack lake just after the Ford Mtn correctional. Too bad you can't shoot like .8km on each side of the rd. Although, there's a road to the right after the ford mtn called nesakwatch and it goes all the way to the border. I saw hunters there as well.

snareman1234
11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Just saw a huge chocolate phase brown bear today up by chilliwack lake where I was trapping

martyonthewater
11-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I hunt up the wacky valley quite a few times a year, while i've yet to take a blacktail out of there I have spooked a few and seen a few does. without exception, every deer I have seen has been well away from the truck and then only after sitting for quite some time, of course as soon as I move, poof there they are/there they go. One of these days

bsa30-06
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM

i'm in my 6th, 7th, ah hell i lost count.:-D

If your lookin for cheap meat try the grocery store.

rock
11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Blacktails are like ghost, they will stop to watch you even though you don't know their there, trcky critters these region 2 deer, probably one of the hardest to hunt due to there surroundings.
As you few aready know it will take time but once you know where to look and there feeding habits according to the time of year is all key to finding them.
Mature timber is a great place to start with a few good thick areas bordering on these areas great and easier escape routes for them as well cover means everything to these deer.

Kudu
11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Well good luck anyway - seems some of the guru's have blessed you with their wisdom.

Dirty
11-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I agree with Ruger about the steep thing. They do indeed inhabit steep nasty terrain. I also second the part about them standing and watching you. The problem is that they are quite short in most cases, and hide well behind short shrubs. Often you will only see their head or head and neck with an inch of their back.

The guys that are successful at the Blacktail gig, find an area with sign and concentrate on it. Then add a few other areas to their arsenal. Learn the terrain and pattern where the deer are in the area and how they are using it.

To find an area with deer might take a lot of wasted time and money in fuel. That is why you won't find people giving you a specific place to go. Strap on your boots and rain gear.

digger dogger
11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
ruger and dirty are definetly right, blk tls are sneaky and will watch you way before you see them in the nastiest thick s**t, this time of year use some esterous doe piss on a drag, use the same way in and out, dont be cheap with the piss either, i get a blk tl every year from the same place.. i've taken 3 bucks within 30 yds of one another. find the does this week and you should get a buck.. my buddy got a buck on sunday with my son and i.. friday i dragged piss, sat i put down apples with c'mere deer on them (step on them), and on sunday my buddy cut his 1st tag ever.. good luck.... : )

MichaelB
11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm in my first year hunting blacktails in Region 2 and I will admit it has been the most frustrating animal to start hunting. However, my advise is to find a spot that looks good (good meaning consistant with what you've read about blacktail habitat from the HBC threads), and stick to it. Try and find out what they're eating, and where they travel to. Do NOT give up on a spot so easily. I have stayed in my spot and saw little until recently. I have now figured out the movement of them in the area and now it's just a waiting game for them (the deer) and me (the hunter) to meet under the right circumstances. Snow is moving in quick, so if it doesn't happen this year, then there is always next. I am VERY prepared for next season..... I hope. ;-)
I have a clearwater doe draw so I suppose it's easier to be patient when you know you'll probably get some meat.

Good luck.

Michael

the sentencer
11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I talked to a friend of mine who told me where to get them around here as he's already got his this year. Hopefully i'll put a picture up soon with one.

ruger#1
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Hope to see the pics and good luck to you. Looks like the temps are going to be +1 on saturday. Hope the snow gets lower.

junkyard_g
11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
i used to hunt down there. Basically I found the last week of season to be the best once the snow starts to push them down. Besides that scout llike mad til you find a place with lots of fresh sign and hunt the hell out of it. You can't just drive around til you catch one in the open like a lot of mulie hunters up here do.