PDA

View Full Version : whiteys in rut

brock77
11-09-2009, 09:07 AM
anyone notice if the whiteys are in rut in the ek? are they moving, still up high? seen lots of does, but with no bucks

hunter1947
11-09-2009, 09:09 AM
There going full tilt as we speak http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

brock77
11-09-2009, 09:20 AM
thats what i thought! *******s are hard to get. been grunting and bleating, not much experince in rattling maybe ill give it a try. no tree stand just still hunting.thnxs

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Just because you do not see bucks doesn't mean that they are not there. The bucks are where the does are but in the thick stuff and come out after dark. Head in the thick stuff and look for secondary trails paralleling the more visible doe trails on the downwind side.

brock77
11-09-2009, 09:32 AM
how well do those rattle bags work? anyone try/or use them

M.Dean
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
When you see does, watch what there watching, lots of times they can see things that you can't! If there's other deer close by, the does will keep looking in there direction, hopefully it's a big buck! Some bucks will wait only a few minutes and join the does, some will wait until your gone. If the does see you and don't spook, let them see you leave, find a good spot where you can still see the group and wait! Glass where the does are looking real close, some where in there is a big horny buck with your name on it!!! Good Luck!!!

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 10:58 AM
how well do those rattle bags work? anyone try/or use them

Rattling works great provided you do it right and you're set up at the right locations.

A common mistake most hunters make is to rattle to aggressive and assuming that bucks come running to horn rattling from for great distances.

Bucks ALWAYS approach rattling from the downwind side using cover as they approach. And they ALWAYS approach on active trails they travel. Unlike elk and turkey a buck NEVER will go out of his way to investigate a call or rattling.

Knowing that you should set up near cover in such a way that the buck cannot circle downwind from your position without stepping at least ones into one of your shooting lane.

The setup should be positioned in such a way that you cannot see the buck before he comes into shooting distance. For many hunters this is the most difficult to grasp. Hunters want to see for a long way when the buck is coming. Doing that also lets the buck see for a long way and if he does not see a deer where he expects to see a deer he will hang up. Bucks ALWAYS hang up in the cover and survey the area for other deer. That is the reason why most hunters never see 90% of the bucks that come to rattling.

Rattling is an art to mimic a real buck fight. Meaning just banging antlers together is not natural and will actually scare the deer away. This is not Texas. You will have more success by imitating a sparing match rather than a full blown life and death fight.

Start by gently grinding the antlers or rattling bag against a brush or tree then continue after a shot pause with gentle clicking and gradually work up to a little more intensity without getting to aggressive. Pause then and when for a few seconds. Ad some buck grunts and kick the ground with your feet to make it sound natural. Bucks do know what real bucks fighting sound like. If it does not sound real all you manage is to educate bucks and make them call shy.

Rattle for about 15 minutes and then put the antlers or bag away. Now is the time to be very alert and look all around you for movement with the rifle ready. A buck may come running right in or he is sneaking in. Wait for about a half hour to an hour if nothing happens repeat or move on.

I have the best success with rattling by selecting several pre-scouted stand sites and then move from one to the other until I get some reaction. Oh, I almost forget. Rattling works best from the ground. There is nothing natural about two bucks fighting 12 to 20 feet up in a tree.:wink: If I hunt from a treestand I have somebody that knows how to rattle sitting on the ground. Conversely if I am guiding a hunter sitting in a treestand I will sit on the ground an rattle.

Here is a link (http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.com/) to my whitetail deer hunting blog where you will find everything you need to know about whitetail hunting.

Hope this helps and good luck.

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM
When you see does, watch what there watching, lots of times they can see things that you can't! If there's other deer close by, the does will keep looking in there direction, hopefully it's a big buck! Some bucks will wait only a few minutes and join the does, some will wait until your gone. If the does see you and don't spook, let them see you leave, find a good spot where you can still see the group and wait! Glass where the does are looking real close, some where in there is a big horny buck with your name on it!!! Good Luck!!!

Very good advice too.

brock77
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
wow thanxs for all the info. got all chores done, wife will be happy maybe? lol :wink:. Whent and got a rattle bag, now time to go out and give it a try. not trying to get a world record buck, but a good meet buck and good memories. Thanxs again,

BCrams
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Couple points to throw in ....

A common mistake most hunters make is to rattle to aggressive and assuming that bucks come running to horn rattling from for great distances.

Wrong. I have seen whitetail bucks come running from over a km away when rattling agressively in Saskatchewan. Not once but a few times.

"Different bucks will respond to different rattling techniques. Everything from gentle sparring to full on fights."

No different than some bull elk only responding to a cow call while another bull beside him will only respond to bugles.

And they ALWAYS approach on active trails they travel.

I Disagree. Had that happen to me while rattling, keeping my eyes open on a couple trails which converged to my rattling location. Imagine my surprise when the buck that showed up came enroute through the thickest patch of bush where only at 15 yards all I could see was its head. Needless to say, I was busted.

"be alert to your entire surroundings....not just the trails"

Unlike elk and turkey a buck NEVER will go out of his way to investigate a call or rattling.

Want to bet!! Whiteys and even mule deer bucks will go out of their way to investigate rattling or a call. I've seen this countless times. Even from half a mile a way. Its amazing really.

Chuck
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
All of the above...............&

That's what makes hunting Whitetail bucks so much fun - they can make an ass out of you just about every time. Some fail of course, ha ha! or we'd hang up our guns for good.

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Couple points to throw in ....

Wrong. I have seen whitetail bucks come running from over a km away when rattling agressively in Saskatchewan. Not once but a few times.

This is not "Texas" or should I have said Saskatchewan where:
The country is wide open, where you can see on Saturday whose coming to visit you on Monday. In wide open country bucks often travel over a long distance because they have no other choice. Here, with a few exceptions, do not have these wide open spaces. Most of our deer habitat is overgrown with forests, brush country, wetlands and woodlots. Such habitat does not require for a buck to have a huge territory.
Texas and Saskatchewan, among others are managed for trophy bucks. Meaning fewer does and smaller bucks. So yes aggressive rattling can work. Here on the other hand with fewer really large bucks around and a majority being smaller to good sized bucks aggressive rattling scares the smaller bucks away.
I Disagree. Had that happen to me while rattling, keeping my eyes open on a couple trails which converged to my rattling location. Imagine my surprise when the buck that showed up came enroute through the thickest patch of bush where only at 15 yards all I could see was its head. Needless to say, I was busted.

Want to bet!! Whiteys and even mule deer bucks will go out of their way to investigate rattling or a call. I've seen this countless times. Even from half a mile a way. Its amazing really.Whitetail bucks cover many trails in a given area not just one particular tail. So yes they do can come from different trails/directions. Maybe I should have mentioned that the best place to rattle is next to the scenario I described on buck an doe trail intersections.

I do not know about mule deer but as I said under "Saskatchewan" how far a buck will travel depends on how open it is. Here we have good and lots of cover. There's no need for a buck to travel much more than a mile or even less. While in wide open country he might travel two maybe even three miles to investigate a call because he has no choice when woodlots are a mile apart from each other.

Deer calling and especially rattling success is dependent on four major factors:
Terrain, structure and cover. As outlined above. If a buck loves in wide open country he has to cover more ground. If, like here, an area has of cover, a buck has a much smaller territory and no need to travel far.
Buck to doe ratio. The more equal the buck to doe ratio is the better antler rattling works. In areas where a bock has access to 20 or more does rattling may not work at all because bucks simply have NO need to fight for breeding rights. In this case aggressive rattling scares deer simply because they have no need to engage in all out battle. Sparring in this case is the ticket.
Hunting pressure. The more hunters are in an area the less rattling, calling and scent work, because deer have seen, smelled and heard it all.
Time of year. Rattling only works after the bucks have shed their velvet and begin to wrestle with each other. After that is does not work again until the rut just kicks in and a short time into it but that, as I said, depends heavily on the buck to doe ratio.I've been guiding whitetail deer hunters for 15 years until I came to Canada, and I still get thank you notes from my clients.
I've been a hunting strategy & hunting property evaluation consultant for 20 years and have been very successful at it. Here (http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.com/2009/11/wisconsin-browhunter-shoot-big-ten.html) are just the two most recent clients that benefited from my advice. Doing what I do for so long I can't afford to make many mistakes. This business is very unforgiving. :wink:

Having said that. Everything we do in hunting depends on many different factors of which I only outlined a few here, barely scratching the surface. What works in one area might not work at all in a different area. That is why it is important to scout and keep in tune with deer movement throughout the hunting season.

eastkoot
11-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Been made an ass of the last week.. No nice bucks, passed up half a dozen spikers, 2 and 3 points. Mind you anything can make an ass out of me !!:)Lots of elk, a few 6 points made it thru the season..Mulies have necks like balloons. Some whitey scrapes and rubs but not like other years, YET !!!!

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Some whitey scrapes and rubs but not like other years, YET !!!!

Every report I get from Florida to BC indicates that the rut is a bit late this year.

bridger
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
don't know about the ek but the white tails in the peace are going.

pete_k
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll wiegh in here at risk of looking like a complete idiot.
I ask, cuz I dont know.
How do you know when the Whitetail are in rut?

I heard the bucks get stupid and start risky behavior.
Do the does act differently. Buddy just out of town says
he seen 17 whitetail does all packed together. Does this mean
they are in estrous?

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I'll wiegh in here at risk of looking like a complete idiot.
I ask, cuz I dont know.
How do you know when the Whitetail are in rut?
Just because you don't know does not make you stupid. :wink:

First lets clarify that the rut is an ongoing process that starts when the bucks shed the velvet off their antlers and then goes on for several months with varying intensity.

The bucks are ready to breed the moment the velvet is shed but the does are not. What hunters refer to as rut is when the first does enter the estrus cycle.

How do you know when the rut starts? Observation!
Despite what some may think the rut does not happen on a given date every year.

In the early fall bucks still travel together in bachelor groups. As their testosterone levels rise bucks become increasingly intolerant of each other. That is the time when you see the larger bucks leaving the bachelor groups to led a life in solitude. This is also the time when you see smaller bucks engaging in mock fights where they push each other around.

When you see big bucks in the company of does start to pay attention it could get interesting any day now. As soon you observe bucks trailing does, following them around like a horny teenager follows girls, the "rut" is about to start.

What hunters refer to as the "rut" is when, as you say, the bucks get stupid and actively chase does. During that time you will see bucks all day long at any hour of the day, either running does or searching for them. This is a good time to be out all day from day break to dusk. Do as the bucks do and cover as much ground as you can. Sit for an hour and if nothing happens move on to the next location but be always ready for a buck to appear.

I heard the bucks get stupid and start risky behavior.
Do the does act differently. Buddy just out of town says
he seen 17 whitetail does all packed together. Does this mean
they are in estrous?No it does not mean that the does are in estrus. Bucks already start to join the does and that makes them a bit paranoid. Does also bunch together when the food becomes less. If you see a doe standing off to the side of the others acting a bit alert for no apparent reason while all others remain calm and pees often then she is in heat. Often a doe in estrus can be quite aggressive toward other does as soon they try to approach her.

ufishifish2
11-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Holy crap Huntwriter, you're like a book of knowledge. Appreciated.

brock77
11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Well looks like there is lots to be said about the rut,when and why. just got back from hunting and mayhave answerd my own question. Didnt bring home a buck, but seen 5 does together and herd one of them bleating,and acting all weird first time ive heard this, but after seeing and listing to them for over an hour, i was grunting, just alittle not to aggresive. Didn't try the rattle bag:confused:. still no bucks. A buddy of mine was down southcountry and samething lots of does but no bucks maybe they are just getting started,i dont know!
One question though, will bucks bed down with the does in the same location? or will the bucks bed the does down and then bed some were else close but down wind?

pete_k
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
This is a good time to be out all day from day break to dusk. Do as the bucks do and cover as much ground as you can. Sit for an hour and if nothing happens move on to the next location but be always ready for a buck to appear.

No it does not mean that the does are in estrus. Bucks already start to join the does and that makes them a bit paranoid. Does also bunch together when the food becomes less. If you see a doe standing off to the side of the others acting a bit alert for no apparent reason while all others remain calm and pees often then she is in heat. Often a doe in estrus can be quite aggressive toward other does as soon they try to approach her.

Thanks Huntwriter. I'll be observing alot closer and more often this year.

bozzdrywall
11-09-2009, 07:33 PM
I have been out every morning and night and all i can seem to find is does and fawns. Seen a couple of spike bucks but not what iam after. I was wondering do the buck shoe away the fawns during the rut? If so i just seen 2 lonly fawns with no doe i sat for awhile and seen no buck or no doe so maby they are doing the nasty somewere. Is this a true fact? Thanks hunter writer iam now going to try the calling and rattle thing let you guys no if it works out for me.

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Didnt bring home a buck, but seen 5 does together and herd one of them bleating,and acting all weird first time ive heard this, but after seeing and listing to them for over an hour, i was grunting, just alittle not to aggresive. Didn't try the rattle bag:confused:. still no bucks.
At least now you know how a doe in hear acts. If she was bleating, sounding a bit like a sheep, then she is almost desperate to get laid. Watch her for the next 24 hours she is likely to attract a buck.

I do not know where you hunt. But one aspect you have to consider is the weather. If it is warm most of the rutting activity will take place at night. If it is clod, below zero, the rutting activity will take place during the day.

If the does outnumber the bucks by a lot, which is common in most areas, rattling will not be as effective. As I wrote earlier. When does outnumber bucks there is no need for bucks to be aggressive. In these situations all a buck has to do is hang out near the does and breed them as they come in heat. No competition because there's plenty of girls to go around for everybody.

A buddy of mine was down southcountry and samething lots of does but no bucks maybe they are just getting started,i dont know! Probably the does are not in heat yet. Remember the rut does not start everywhere at the same time. From the south of Florida to the North of Canada the rut dates can vary as much as by two months.

One question though, will bucks bed down with the does in the same location? or will the bucks bed the does down and then bed some were else close but down wind?Bucks do not bed with the does but they are never far and always on the downwind side of doe bedding areas. How close to the does a buck will be is dicated by the terrain and available cover. It can be as little as a few yards or in another woodlot a hundred yards away.

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I have been out every morning and night and all i can seem to find is does and fawns. Seen a couple of spike bucks but not what iam after. I was wondering do the buck shoe away the fawns during the rut? If so i just seen 2 lonly fawns with no doe i sat for awhile and seen no buck or no doe so maby they are doing the nasty somewere. Is this a true fact? Thanks hunter writer iam now going to try the calling and rattle thing let you guys no if it works out for me.

The doe will chase the fawn away when she enters her estrus cycle. However they will remain a family. So if you see a fawn that looks lost it could be lost - mother got killed by a predator - or the fawn is just gone to town while moma has a visitor. Usually the buck stays with the doe for 24 hours. That's how long the doe will be in estrus. The bucks couldn't care less if a fawn stays close by but the doe is not to keen about it.

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Holy crap Huntwriter, you're like a book of knowledge. Appreciated.

Actually I am writing a book about whitetail deer hunting. Been at it for the last three years, work keeps interfering with it.:mrgreen: I study and hunt whitetails for almost 30 years. After that many years something is bound to stick.:mrgreen: However, I still feel that I know very little about them. It seems each time I find an answer a 100 new questions come up.

brock77
11-09-2009, 08:52 PM
huntwriter do you have the same wealth of knowledge for elk as whitetail? cuase damn do you have alot of info on these critters

huntwriter
11-09-2009, 09:34 PM
huntwriter do you have the same wealth of knowledge for elk as whitetail? cuase damn do you have alot of info on these critters

I am sorry but other than whitetail deer and turkey I don't know much about hunting other critters. I would love to go elk hunting too but I definitely would need to go with someone who knows how to hunt them.:)

shoot2kill
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
We were in the EK up the bull river last week of oct and freinds just came back from the flat head valley. LOTS and LOTS of wt does out in the open during the day. Spotted a few bucks during the day with does. Most bucks were spotted at dawn and dusk. Snow is pushing them down now. Find narrow valleys and benches close to the valley bottems and as long as there is lots af snow up high you will find the WT's coming down. We found game trails that were 3 feet wide in the snow! Almost all bucks were spikers or 2 spike bucks, saw 1 real nice 4 pointer across the river.
Watch out for grizzlys. If you shoot its like a dinner bell to them.
Good luck. The bucks are very wary. find a spot, get in early, stay late, you will see bucks.

GoatGuy
11-10-2009, 05:42 AM
watched a 130 5x chasing does a couple weeks ago over there.

sawmill
11-10-2009, 06:29 AM

Same boat for me too pal,the rut here seems to kick in near the end of the season .Going out tommorow with the wife and try a few rattles and calls,we`ll see what happens.Good luck to you.

hunter1947
11-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I am sorry but other than whitetail deer and turkey I don't know much about hunting other critters. I would love to go elk hunting too but I definitely would need to go with someone who knows how to hunt them.:)

Huntwriter elk hunting is easy if your in an area that carries lots ,a person will see more in the slash then that of black timber I found this out as the years go by.

The hardest part for me when it comes to elk hunting is trying to find a bull with 6 on one side.

Head up to where there is a GOS for elk in region 7a ,7b or the EK and you will find elk.
Do some home work on where the hi percentage of elk have come from in these regions and go from there http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

huntwriter
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Huntwriter elk hunting is easy if your in an area that carries lots ,a person will see more in the slash then that of black timber I found this out as the years go by.

The hardest part for me when it comes to elk hunting is trying to find a bull with 6 on one side.

Head up to where there is a GOS for elk in region 7a ,7b or the EK and you will find elk.
Do some home work on where the hi percentage of elk have come from in these regions and go from there http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

That's easy to say for you.:mrgreen: Last time I tried elk all I heard is bugling. As I advanced (quietly) the bugling got further and further away until it finally quit. Not knowing what tactics to use is like hunting the elusive Sasquatch.:mrgreen:

palmer
11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I was out yesterday and located 8 bucks ..all small...but they were fully in the rut...chasing the does hard...

huntwriter
11-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I was out yesterday and located 8 bucks ..all small...but they were fully in the rut...chasing the does hard...

Yes they do and eventually the does will get tired of it and run the little bucks off. The big bucks still holding back waiting for the real show to begin.