PDA

View Full Version : Storing Pepperoni/smokies/sausage??

Freshtracks
11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Ok so you have gotten your pepperoni/ect back from the meat cutter. How does everyone like to store it? Well ... that which doesn't get eaten right away. lol

I've got a Food Saver vacuum packer and thought to make portioned packages and freeze it.

11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I've got a Food Saver vacuum packer and thought to make portioned packages and freeze it.

That's what we have done for the last few years, works good. Just be careful not to puncture any of your packages handling them rough once they are froze.

Steeleco
11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
That's what I do now that I'm making my own. When I do have sausage made, the store offers commercial vac sealing for $.50 a pack, far better than my machine. Does your guy not offer that?

Freshtracks
11-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Well here's the finished product ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Freshtracks/Pepperoni.jpg

at least it won't all get eaten right away. Did the smokies the same way.

416 ... I mainly use the Food Saver for vacuuming smoked salmon and find the bags are pretty durable after frozen.

Steeleco ... lol ... actually I didn't ask ... got it made at Sumas Meats ... not sure if you have used them. If you could pm me the particulars where you have yours done up ... always good to have alternatives.

Steeleco
11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I have used Kirk a few times in the old days, he does make great sausage but the reason I stopped is another thread!!

I use Ennis for my sausage that is too big for me to make myself, but I'm destined to use Beltrame after Xmas

tomahawk
11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I use the vaccuum sealer for the cured and smoked sausage ( in smaller quantities for convience) and keep them fresh in the fridge for up to 2 months if they last that long. Fresh sausage I wrap in saran wrap, then freezer paper and in the freezer.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Sausage019-1-1.jpg

huntcoop
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
How long would vacuum sealed pepperoni last in the freezer?

Squirrelnuts
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
How long would vacuum sealed pepperoni last in the freezer?

Ages. I found a pack of deer pepperoni from last year in the freezer a week or so ago and it was as good as the day it was vacuum sealed. It wouldn't surprise me if it lasted a couple years. (Like that would ever happen). :)

Rock Doctor
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Ok so you have gotten your pepperoni/ect back from the meat cutter. How does everyone like to store it? Well ... that which doesn't get eaten right away. lol

I just double wrap, similar to tomahawk, first into plastic bags then into freezer paper. You can easily get 2-3 yrs storage out of it.

Just made up a whole pile of sausage last weekend, and came across a package of Elk from 2004, in the bottom of my freezer. It had a slight odour to it, so I gave it to the dog, but most people probably would not have noticed.

I like the vaccum sealer idea, but it takes a lot longer, and the bags can be expensive.

RD

300H&H
11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
A few years ago I always took my deer to the same butcher (he has since closed). He always did a good job. But the peperoni went moldy after a few days. I think it had too much moisture in it.

I now take my deer & turkey to James at Springfield Meats on Gordon Dr. in Kelowna.
James does a great job.
The peperoni he makes is awsome. I have no problems with it turning moldy. I cut it up and put it in zip-lock bags in the fridge. Stays good for ever (I eat it in a couple of months).
I asked James why the difference. His reply...he double drys/smokes it.

If you need a good butcher give James a call.