PDA

View Full Version : Empire Valley / Churn report

David Heitsman
11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Drove in last Monday and hunted till this morning (Sunday). Had horses so was able to cover virtually most of the protected area that wasn't heavy timbered. Rode to the the Little Churn twice and down to Sheep Point twice and once around Clyde Mtn. We were in a week sooner since they have initiated a 10 day closure mid season.

Saw a total of less than 200 head and only 5 bucks, none 4 pts. I have never seen it that poor in the dozen years I have been going in there. Don't know if if is the really warm weather, (12 - 13 degrees) every day, the fact that there is as of yet no snow pack on Black Dome or Red Mt., the recent doe harvest, or perhaps a tough winter, but the end result
was quite disapointing. We're used to seeing 200 deer per day.

There was no one camping at the calving barns for half the time we were there and we only saw 2 other hunting parties the whole time. If a CO had been out to check on us like most years he'd have been lonely like a Maytag repairman with nothing to do.

As to sheep, saw 5 ewes well back into Lone Cabin Creek and 5 rams on McGhee flats. Normally we see over 60 so not sure where they were this year.

For the jet set crowd, there is no ice in the river or on the banks yet.

I think this is the first skunk for us ever on horseback. Will re-look at it for later in the season if it gets colder and some precipitation.

A moment of comedy for us was when we were riding in the lower Churn and working our way from over-look to over-look glassing into their beds.
We almost stepped on two young hunters who were sound asleep in the warm sun using one of their day-packs for a pillow. They had walked at least 4 - 5 miles to that area and were exhausted I'm sure.

I was going to walk over and move one of their rifles about 10 yards away or maybe let off a shot right close to them and then say I had just missed a huge buck! We ended up skirting them to the south and they did eventually hear our horses and woke up and moved on to another ridge.

CooperSscat
11-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks again for your annual Empire Valley report!

Sorry to hear you didn't get a big guy too.

Is there any snow hanging around on North slopes or shaded areas at least??? My Dad and I may head out Tues to scout/hunt Wed, Thur and Friday but mainly in Zone A of 5-03.

Earlier this season 2 goofs were tailgating us hard up a spur as we were transiting between our morning hunt area and afternoon area. I was itching to fire drill it and let some lead fly-safely-just to get a rise out of em. Seems like hunter to hunter respect is on the decline. Good for you to not disturb or freak out the sleeping beauties!

Jeremy

tomahawk
11-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the report, well done. Hopefully things will change and this is just the calm before the storm!

BCrams
11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Pretty early yet.

I would have focussed on hunting the heavy timber right at the edge and below the alpine areas off Blackdome for the big boys.

PGK
11-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Hmmm, failure last year on the flats, and failure this year on the flats. Think you would learn :lol:

Jagermeister
11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Seems to me that you need to have a large amount of snow in the Chilcotins to move those big boys down into Gaspard/Churn Creek area.

David Heitsman
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Cooperscat,

There was no snow period. I think there may have been some a week earlier as for the first couple days there was a skiff in the crags or well shaded areas but none by mid week.

PGK,
I've taken 3 4pts in their beds and assisted with several others over the years at the same time period so I just think that they aren't coming in yet. Something has to come in and tend to the does when they cycle.

CooperSscat
11-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow no snow....dang. Looks like a skiff coming tomrrow and flurries the day after. Thanks David!

Jeremy

Stresd
11-09-2009, 08:22 PM
About an inch plus on the rd above 5300' Enough to see that there were lots of Mule's in the area last weekend.

Fisher-Dude
11-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Pretty early yet.

I would have focussed on hunting the heavy timber right at the edge and below the alpine areas off Blackdome for the big boys.

Shhhhh! Let him hire an outfitter to find a 145" deer for him. Those poor GOs need work since us residents screw up all the quality experiences for them. :wink:

David Heitsman
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Fisher Dude,

You are like a scratched old record that just keeps on rattling 'round and 'round spewing the same thing over and over till someone finally finds your "off" button or pulls the plug from the wall.

David Heitsman
11-11-2009, 11:29 PM
mpotzold,
Saw one small black bear on the steep breaks between the river and the Empire hayfields east of the ranch house. Saw a lot of bear scat, actually more than other years. They are really gleaning the rosehips now. The scat was red and full of seeds.
I'll see if I can post some pics as it one of the most ruggedly beautiful areas in our province.

As to cats, twice I've seen the tracks, once above the ranch house maybe a k or so and once on Clyde. I lost them both times as the cat descended out of the snow. Never seen a moose pellet ever and like I mentioned
I've called in wolves on Airport Mtn a few years back. Surprisingly, I've only seen two coyotes over the years. Must not be many mice in the benchlands for them.

tomahawk
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Mpotzold, Here's a couple of my favourites

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/HuntingChurn08016.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/DeerHunt06004.jpg