PDA

View Full Version : Mallards eating salmon eggs

Marc
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey guys, I remember last fall there was people complaining about hunting mallards over salt water and rivers that were feeding on salmon eggs. Well we werejust recently hunting a corn field and we shot some mallards. Guess what? I found one with it's crop full of salmon eggs. So unless you hunt 50 km away from any spawning river there is a chance at getting a salmon egg eating mallard. Salmon eggs, Sewage lagoon, who knows where he was two hours ago:lol:

longshot
11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I always chop there crop open and smell the meat. We have got pretty much all mallards this year for ducks and all have passed inspection so far. :mrgreen:

Hopefully in December they don't start eating the dead salmon like the pintails did last year!

Longshot jr.

303Brit
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Well seems to me, that those of us who enjoy recreational fishing should assist in preventing them from depleting salmon stocks before they start!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Wild Duck AND caviar in one shot...YUMMY!!:-?

SSS

rbduck
11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
About five years ago I shot a Mallard that had four Leopard Frogs in it, all in various stages of being digested. This is as close as I could get. No salmon eggs in the middle of the prairies:wink:.

Ron:mrgreen:

longshot
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
About five years ago I shot a Mallard that had four Leopard Frogs in it, all in various stages of being digested. This is as close as I could get. No salmon eggs in the middle of the prairies:wink:.

FROGS!?!?

Now that to me is crazy. Out all those fields of corn, grain, every other ducky food....Frogs?? What are duck mothers teaching their young these days. :-D

303Brit
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Ya
Seen that in Ont, not 4 in one bird though

zaconb
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Ok not a mallard story but a few years back I pulled a small garter snake out of a cock pheasant!