PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh

Crazy_Farmer
11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Never had this happen to me yet.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/nov8th2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/nov8th3.jpg

We were just finishing up hunting this morning when one last flock of mallards came right in, only picking out drakes this morning so both mine and Matts first shots hit two drakes down they went. Searching for another one, find one, fire my 2nd shot, nothing(clean miss) and then I hit the trigger for my third shot.

Thats when I dont feel the shot go off, missfire first comes to mind so out of instinct I pull the gun away from my head, just as I do, it fires. It could of been worse but I get a small amount of blowback in my face. A very wierd noise totally different from a normal shot, Matt looks over and noticed the sound and says "that was wierd"

I look down the shell is all crumpled up like the picture, the bolt is closed but its sandwiched the shells half in the chamber.

Who knows, my Winchester SX2 is fine though, I cleaned it and checked it and everythings fine so I'm happy about that. I'll just count it towards a shitty shell. The firing pin definitely hit good, its like the shell inside didnt fire right away, but once it did fire it only forced the bolt back halfway so when it closed again it squished the shell.

Wierd. I emailed winchester ammo just to show the pictures but we'll see what they say.

Marc
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I guess you're bound to get a dud sooner or later. Earlier this fall I was loaded with 3 1/2 inch BB 1 3/8 oz and my second shot was more like a poof and you could see black stuff coming out of the barrel, I don't think it ejected the shell either. It's the only one so far that's messed up so I"m not going to write off the shells.

Crazy_Farmer
11-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I have a case of these xperts, never had a problem with them. Ive shoot myabe 3-4 boxes of this stuff so far with no problems, in fact its been straight up crushing the ducks, not alot of winged ones, lots stone dead.

I'll keep shooting them, just figured this hasnt happened to me in years of shooting xperts.

buckguy
11-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Good to hear you and the gun are fine. Going to be interesting to see what Winchester has to say. Definately could have been worse.

PGK
11-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Crazy. I'm shooting xperts too, no problems yet. I'm down four boxes since I started with them. Let us know what winchester says

huntwriter
11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Never had this happen to me yet.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/nov8th2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/nov8th3.jpg

We were just finishing up hunting this morning when one last flock of mallards came right in, only picking out drakes this morning so both mine and Matts first shots hit two drakes down they went. Searching for another one, find one, fire my 2nd shot, nothing(clean miss) and then I hit the trigger for my third shot.

Thats when I dont feel the shot go off, missfire first comes to mind so out of instinct I pull the gun away from my head, just as I do, it fires. It could of been worse but I get a small amount of blowback in my face. A very wierd noise totally different from a normal shot, Matt looks over and noticed the sound and says "that was wierd"

I look down the shell is all crumpled up like the picture, the bolt is closed but its sandwiched the shells half in the chamber.

Who knows, my Winchester SX2 is fine though, I cleaned it and checked it and everythings fine so I'm happy about that. I'll just count it towards a shitty shell. The firing pin definitely hit good, its like the shell inside didnt fire right away, but once it did fire it only forced the bolt back halfway so when it closed again it squished the shell.

Wierd. I emailed winchester ammo just to show the pictures but we'll see what they say.

Happened to me too last season with Win. Xpert 3" shells. I went right back to Federal Premium ammunition, which I use for all my hunting needs from shotgun to rifle and bolt action slug gun. I changed to Winchester for waterfowl on a friends recommendation. Purchased three boxes and it happened within those three. Should have stayed with what I trust, Federal Premium.

Hope you get an answer from Winchester. I still wait for my answer but have given up hope to ever get one.

303Brit
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
HHHmmm interesting, was the casing stovepiped? or was it still semi parallel to the barrel?

Crazy_Farmer
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
It was still pointed exactly in parallel with the barrel but squished right up.

303Brit
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
HHmmm even more interesting, makes me think your extractor was working properly. Are you a clean after you shoot weapon owner? or are you a clean when performance is affected kind of guy?
Sounds to me more like the bolt did make all the and the extractor didn't spit the casing out.
Typically speaking the stopages we see in Semi or automatic weapons that are caused by lack of gas pressure or dirty gas return systems leads to a stove piped casing sticking out perpendicular to the barrel. Where as mashed casings or double feeds are usually caused by dirty extraction systems.
That being said I don't have an intimate knowledge of the gas return system of this particular shotgun.

one last question, the split side was facing out of the ejection port?

Crazy_Farmer
11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Cant be 100% sure now but I'm almost positive it was facing out. You can actually see in the 2nd picture where it grabbed the brass theres a notch taken out of the rim.

My brother was thinking that after the shell fired, the plastic would be pretty hot from the charge going through, and so since it didnt have all the gas to cycle the load completely back the bolt slammed back forward onto the shell, and since the plastic was warm it deformed.

That makes sense to me becuase on the third shot the bolt should go all the way back and hold there not slam closed again.

303Brit
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Ok after reading the original again, I missed the misfire portion. So bad cartridge makes more sense with that bit of info, I would suspect the bad powder charge delayed the shell for the hangfire, and thus not giving you a full ignition. This makes for a low gas pressure not giving you the full blow back on the bolt. So yes bad cartridge, prolly gummed up powder. curious to see what Win says. So I shall head for another drink. Nice haul the other day too btw

303Brit
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
On the lighter side, thats what you get for having a Semi :tongue::tongue:

I can't afford one right now so I won't have this problem with my pump gun, on box 6 or 7 of the Xpert's and I enjoy them. Great knock down and nicely priced:mrgreen::mrgreen:

heyblast
11-08-2009, 10:53 PM
It'll be interesting what Winchester has to say or if they even reply. I use Federal or Remington in my Browning BPS and I've never had a factory load miss fire not to say it couldn't happen. I assume the shot and wad ejected out the muzzle and since it was a semi auto it didn't matter wether it was the last shell or the first, the gun jammed. If it had been a pump and the missfire happened say the second shell, you could easily rack the last shell in with out even realizing what you've done and fire, maybe the missfire pushed the wad out maybe it didn't. Bulge in the barrel, burst barrel? I prefer pumps but this is a senario were the semi would be the better choice. And how would you not know you had a bad shell, easy, geese over your head, your picking out yours birds every things a motor reflects, your just shooting, you aren't even thinking about the gun firing three shot's two geese, the second shell missfired the barrel has a bulge. I was using reloads at the time, went back to factory loads and now I wondering how many have had missfires like yours Crazy Farmer. Let us know if you get a reply.

shotgunjohn
11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I used to get them fairly regularly toward the end of the season with my reloads. I didn't have a pile of casings so sometimes would reuse them before they were totally dry. Damp powder would lead to a hangfire. Any chance you dropped this load in the water at sometime before it was fired?