PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to shoot from boat?

kgriz
11-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I noticed this while doing some other "research" of the regs:

Question: Do you think its legal to shoot a moose from a boat that has a motor provided that you tilt the motor, anchor, etc. such that it no longer meets the " power-boat " definition as outlined in the hunting synopsis?

I will comment as soon as there are some replies.

BlacktailStalker
11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I think you only need to have that outboard tilted out of the water and not running.

d6dan
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I think you only need to have that outboard tilted out of the water and not running.

That is correct.

gitnadoix
11-07-2009, 10:58 PM
As long as the boat is no longer propelled by any type of motor your good to go. So it would not have to be tilted up, just the boat can no longer be recieving any enertia from the motor. So not even coasting from the motors push after shut down.

Gateholio
11-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Form what I understand, No power= good to shoot. Turn off the engine and you are good. Can't tilt up every engine.:tongue:

kgriz
11-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Actually upon close inspection I doubt that it is technically legal.....I posted this because I think that most people think its ok BUT here is the case and I know it splits hairs a little but I don't think that there is technically any room to interpret it otherwise when read CAREFULLY:

1. it states in the unlawful section that :" It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"
2. It also states right after that that it is also unlawful to hunt migratory game birds from a POWER BOAT etc.
3. the definition of powerboat then states that it is NOT considered a powerboat while motor tilted, anchored etc.

THE PROBLEM LIES IN THE FACT THAT "OTHER WILDLIFE" (IE. NOT MIGRATORY GAME BIRDS ) IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE POWERBOAT PROVISION....MEANING THAT A BOAT POWERED BY A MOTOR IS ( AS STATED IN THE FIRST UNLAWFUL)TECHNICALLY NOT THE SAME AS THE POWERBOAT DISIGNATION THAT COMES INTO PLAY WITH MIGRATORY GAMEBIRDS.

ALSO wtf??????
It is unlawful to HUNT migratory gamebirds from a powerboat?????
The defintion of hunting surely includes looking for birds on your way to your blind etc if you're in possesssion of a weapon....it sure does in other situations
Also.. this suggests that you can't shoot from in your boat for migratory birds either for that matter...I'm not sure how you will hunt them from your boat once you tilt the motor if you can't legally shoot.

d6dan
11-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Form what I understand, No power= good to shoot. Turn off the engine and you are good. Can't tilt up every engine.:tongue:

Page 18 in the hunting regs explains it well..

MuleyMadness
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I believe, though I can't recall for sure that you not only have to tilt the motor out of the water, but also have to secure it out of the water with the little kick stand thingy so that it cannot immediately be used again for propulsion. I know it's not a simple matter of just stopping the motor, it does for sure need to be tilted out of the water (in the case of an outboard anyways, obviously you couldnt do that with a jet boat).

kgriz
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Remember Hunting and shooting are not mutually inclusive as clearly shown by hunting with a bow in no shooting areas. Not to mention there is no way to tie in wildlife other than migratory game birds into the argument other than " assumption"

kgriz
11-07-2009, 11:18 PM
page 18 does not describe it well....only if you read it with assumption....it does not state anywhere that it is ok to shoot from a boat with a motor at wildlife other than migratory game birds and even then it says HUNT NOT SHOOT

gary murray
11-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I guess thats why they have a method of hunting called float hunting for those that like to hunt that way. Floating your boat down the river looking for game. Some people up north like to hunt moose that way.

kgriz
11-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm sure that's good but I doubt that those people figured this out and thats why they do it....I posted this because when I found it, I was amazed that the words are so clear yet most hunters I know even the ones that pride themselves on being in the know, have interpretted this to include big game but the language certainly suggests otherwise.

kgriz
11-07-2009, 11:29 PM
For the people that said its OK please take a moment and point out to me where it states IN PRINT that its OK for wildlife other than Migratory Game Birds. And while you're at it point out where it even states its OK to SHOOT not HUNT for them too.

gibblewabble
11-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I know guys in PG that drift the river in a boat for moose and have been checked by CO's with no problems. As for duck hunting as long as the boat motor is tilted and/or anchored your are not legally hunting from a power boat, its pretty straight forward and clear to me when I read it.

shoot2kill
11-07-2009, 11:43 PM
hunting regs, page 18, under restrictions:

#1- to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.
You wouldn't shoot from your truck just cause the motor is off would you?

#5- to discharge, carry or have in possesion a fire arm containing live ammunition in its breach or in its magazine attached to the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle, sliegh, aircraft, bicycle, or other conveyance.
I think #5 makes it very clear that it is NOT OK. Other conveyance would include a boat. If its illegal to even carry a loaded firearm or discharge a firearm from a pedal bike then how could it be legal to shoot from a boat?

The only excepton to this rule as I see it is under #2- It seems to allow for a hunter to hunt migratory birds from a boat that is beached, at anchor, or tied or fastened to a hunting blind.

If your ever not sure about the meaning of a rule you should find out from the CO in charge of the area you intend to hunt.

gibblewabble
11-07-2009, 11:44 PM
For the people that said its OK please take a moment and point out to me where it states IN PRINT that its OK for wildlife other than Migratory Game Birds. And while you're at it point out where it even states its OK to SHOOT not HUNT for them too.
Call the CO's and talk to them, I think you are over thinking this and have confused yourself. I personally have a friend that is a CO and have talked about going out and doing these things and he was up for it but too busy to come. If you are this worried about it talk to some one, as for me I think that it states quite clearly what you can and cant do in those situations (as everyone else seems to agree).

kgriz
11-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Shoot2kill I couldn't agree with you more........and as for the previous
" my friend the CO" comment, obviously they'll be the one who tries to act upon their interpretaion in the field, but i really doubt that CO's in general have better reading comprehension than me just because they are CO's. I really think that people are taking these specific rules for granted because of statements like yours...carefully read the words and put it together as it states....there is no way to make the connection to big game.

d6dan
11-07-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm sure that's good but I doubt that those people figured this out and thats why they do it....I posted this because when I found it, I was amazed that the words are so clear yet most hunters I know even the ones that pride themselves on being in the know, have interpretted this to include big game but the language certainly suggests otherwise.

My disabled permit allows me to hunt from all motorized vehicles, including boats. All have to be shut off and stationary.

Rock Doctor
11-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I debated this a few times with different guys, so I finally asked a CO. Wether I agree with it or not, the CO told me that you're good to go as long as your motor is "tilted out of the water", OR, "otherwise disengaged" (Key turned OFF).

shoot2kill
11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
My disabled permit allows me to hunt from all motorized vehicles, including boats. All have to be shut off and stationary.
For the disabled there are special permits available. A freind of a freind has a son who carrys a special permit to shoot from a vehicle or a quad because he is in a wheel chair.
And if i'm not mistaken there may be some special permits available for research (shooting from a chopper for tagging game or for other research reasons).

The rules are clear for the rest of us.

bow_tech_kaldan
11-08-2009, 12:16 AM
god sounds like my red seal exam when I did got my electrical ticket... I hated that "wheres Waldo" shit

d6dan
11-08-2009, 12:23 AM
For the disabled there are special permits available. A freind of a freind has a son who carrys a special permit to shoot from a vehicle or a quad because he is in a wheel chair.
And if i'm not mistaken there may be some special permits available for research (shooting from a chopper for tagging game or for other research reasons).

The rules are clear for the rest of us.

You don't think I know this?. I am In a chair..:icon_frow

shoot2kill
11-08-2009, 12:32 AM
You don't think I know this?. I am In a chair..:icon_frow
Sorry d6dan I did not mean to offend, the comment was for onfo only.

d6dan
11-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Sorry d6dan I did not mean to offend, the comment was for onfo only.

none taken..:)

chevy001
11-08-2009, 12:37 AM
My Cousin has an outfitter/guiding business up north and hunts regularly on a river with a small aluminum outboard jet. He basically said that as soon as the motor is killed, your allowed to shoot...NOT BEFORE!!! Plus keep in mind that you shouldn't have the rifle loaded until the power is killed as well. As I soon discovered the problem lies not in the loading but in shooting while the wake catches up to you. Not always that easily achieved. Success..yes....one shot.....no.

Drillbit
11-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Boats and other motor vehicles are a little different. In a truck for example, you must get out of the truck to shoot. In a boat, you're going to get wet with that hunting method. That is why as long as the boat isn't being propelled at the time of the shot, you are OK. Also, tough to tilt a sportjet. This is common practice for guiding and is considered acceptable by the CO's.

gibblewabble
11-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Shoot2kill I couldn't agree with you more........and as for the previous
" my friend the CO" comment, obviously they'll be the one who tries to act upon their interpretaion in the field, but i really doubt that CO's in general have better reading comprehension than me just because they are CO's. I really think that people are taking these specific rules for granted because of statements like yours...carefully read the words and put it together as it states....there is no way to make the connection to big game.

I have read the words and have to say that I think you are completely confused on teh subject, I have pulled out the regs and read it again as I do every year from cover to cover and I have to say I cant find where you are confused it makes complete sense to me. I am 100% sure I am fine to do said activities and if you question the CO`s read on it then go to a lawyer, do whatever you have to do to feel comfortable, as for me I feel I am following the regs. Seems to me everyone is of agreement except you.

kgriz
11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I guess I'm blind and stupid....please type out the portion from the regs that says its OK for big game animals...not mig. game birds.

kgriz
11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I can understand why everybody thinks I'm being stupid but let me put it this way....

It states: " It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"
It states: it is unlawful to HUNT migratory game birds from a POWER BOAT

My point is that everybody transfers the definition of POWERBOAT to the first situation and lifts the motor to be legal etc. BUT should you do this?

IF that was the case why not reference the very specific term POWERBOAT directly in the first statement?
Also why the shoot vs hunt statement for the two. Its very specific for the second statement that its HUNTING not shooting....this suggests to me that there was some sort of case/dispute involving hunting and or shooting and mig. game bird hunting that caused this very specific change in the regs.....This seems to be the general process for the changes in green in the regs every year. I'm suggesting that this prob. happenned and it may have been an oversight not to specifically include of other game species along with mig. game birds.

kgriz
11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Oh and even if you make the jump to follow the rules of POWERBOAT definition for big game...please explain how you would get around statement #5 on page 18...I don't see any reference to motor lifting etc. under " other conveyance" looks to me that they want to include every possible mechanized device here. I would suggest that the rules are so convaluted now that they need to be redone and simplified as they are becoming so twisted that they often contradict one another.

kgriz
11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Furthermore, the definition of conveyance under the dictionary( as I couldn't find it in the wildlife act) sites it as a means of transportation; granted its clear that you can legally shoot from a canoe, but how can you do this if you are not allowed to carry a loaded firearm on it as per #5 on page 18??? Does converyance not iclude non-motorized boats here? Looks like it intends to cover practically everything so that people can't "bend the rules".

So if I have this right according to everybody's logic....
You can't carry a loaded firearm in a canoe while under transportion mode but you can shoot from it...please explain at what point during the exercise this would change...is it when you stop paddling????? What if you're drifting down the river...surely thats transportation.
The further one investigates some of these things the less they seem to flow LOGICALLY from one to another.

Krico
11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Please will one of the naysayers show me in the regs where it states you can hunt anything other than migratory game birds from a "power boat" or a "boat propelled by a motor." It looks fairly black and white to me. OK for migratory game birds, if you follow the stipulations in 2. That's it.

You should also know it’s unlawful:
1. to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or
a boat propelled by a motor.

2. to hunt migratory birds from a power
boat, unless the boat is beached, resting
at anchor or fastened within or tied
immediately along side a fixed hunting
blind.

The exception is made only for migratory game birds.

kgriz
11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh and Gerich, I understand the process but please explain to me this:

Its commonly stated that the no shooting from a motor vehicle rule stems from a safety concern....I understand your logic of " getting wet" and the humor associated with it but please explain why the safety aspect is not carried through here? Surely its just as safe to shoot from a non-moving truck as it is from a boat with the motor tilted. Did you notice that it was stated at least a couple of times about how the guides use boats a lot...do you think that perhaps their political ties and/or whinning got somebody to over-ride this safety concern that seems soooo important for somebody in their truck.

Jhors
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Here is section 27 of the Wildlife Act.

Wildlife Act

RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 488

Use of conveyance
27 (1) A person who discharges a firearm or wounds or kills wildlife from a motor vehicle or from a boat that is propelled by a motor commits an offence.
(2) A person commits an offence if the person[/font]
(a) hunts wildlife from an aircraft, or[/font]
(b) uses a helicopter for the purposes of transporting hunters or game, or while on a hunting expedition,[/font]
except as authorized by regulation.[/font]
(3) A person who herds or harasses wildlife with the use of a motor vehicle, aircraft, boat or other mechanical device commits an offence.[/font]
(4) A person who hunts game within 6 hours after being airborne in an aircraft, other than a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft, commits an offence.[/font]

Rock Doctor
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
It states: " It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"

I agree that the wording could be confusing, and that's why I asked a CO for clarification.
Not only did I ask for clarification, I asked the CO if he wanted to go hunting with me..........He agreed to go.

He explained to me that I could not shoot from my boat as long as the engine was running, or engaged, or the boat was being PROPELLED by the motor in any way. As soon as the motor is disengaged, stopped, tilted, ect, you can "load and shoot" FROM THE BOAT. Not only did he explain it this way, he actually did take a shot from my boat.

Now, personally, I could see this conflicting with some other CO's interpretation of the wording, so I would check locally to see how your area CO feels about it.
What it really boils down to, is that nothing said by anyone on this forum will matter at all if you are confronted by a CO in the field.

RD

kgriz
11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Jhors I guess that I missed that, I'm trying to clean the house as I type such that I get an easy green light for hunting tonight. Seems to support some of my points.

I agree with you totally Rock Doctor but I would state that it shouldn't be OK just because the watch-dog says it is....it should be clearly stated so that I know what to do on my own by the law, not assumption...not everybody knows a CO personally. To be clear, I know what I would and have done, I'm just pointing out that a lot of the language in the regs stinks and needs revision and also pointing out that MANY people on here blast people that might not have followed the "letter of the law"; but realize that the law is often very unclear and assumptions are made. We often hear the CO's side when somebody gets busted but rarely the end product if a court case followed and the law was interpretted by a judge.

gary murray
11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks Jhors I guess that I missed that, I'm trying to clean the house as I type such that I get an easy green light for hunting tonight. Seems to support some of my points.

I agree with you totally Rock Doctor but I would state that it shouldn't be OK just because the watch-dog says it is....it should be clearly stated so that I know what to do on my own by the law, not assumption...not everybody knows a CO personally. To be clear, I know what I would and have done, I'm just pointing out that a lot of the language in the regs stinks and needs revision and also pointing out that MANY people on here blast people that might not have followed the "letter of the law"; but realize that the law is often very unclear and assumptions are made. We often hear the CO's side when somebody gets busted but rarely the end product if a court case followed and the law was interpretted by a judge.
I agree with you. More than once ive found my self reading a hunting regulation over and over trying to be 100% sure of what its trying to tell me. I find myself trying to read between the lines too in case im missing something. Nobody thinks youre being stupid. It was actually a good debate that needed to be figured out and made clear. Rock Doctor checked with a CO in his area and i think hes right that we should check locally with our own areas as we all know that within the government body that their left hands dont know what the right one is doing.

kgriz
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I find it odd that MANY people on here have stated that they have been stopped by the RCMP and questionned about their firearms and stated that the cops get the rules wrong often......It was even taken further to state that one should carry the rules with them for clarity if the cop is wrong. Somebody provided the paper to copy for carrting and EVERYBODY thought this was a great idea. Yet in this example the rule seems to be that its OK because a CO says so.....what happenned to the above great idea????!!!!! Is it that if a Cop disagrees with you and you have the paperwork to support you go with the paperwork but if a CO says its OK but the paperwork is unclear and actually suggests its not OK and assumptions have been made that you go with the CO? HMMMMM

Rock Doctor
11-08-2009, 02:00 PM

It's interesting how different people interpret the same thing so differently (I am agreeing with you here:))
HIS comment was that it IS clear:
"It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"
It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle.........That's pretty clear.
It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a boat propelled by a motor............That's pretty clear now as well (to me). It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a boat propelled by a motor. the boat is being propelled, it is being moved by the motor, it is under power.

If the motor is disengaged, the boat is not propelled.

Now, I don't know what to believe about this part, but I was told:
"The current wording is to prevent guys from roaring up to animals, with their boats, and blasting them from a few feet away. Witch would actually be quite easy to do.

It should be noted that I did not personally know this CO before I went and spoke with him, so I don't feel I have been given any special consideration.

I find it odd that MANY people on here have stated that they have been stopped by the RCMP and questionned about their firearms and stated that the cops get the rules wrong often......It was even taken further to state that one should carry the rules with them for clarity if the cop is wrong. Somebody provided the paper to copy for carrting and EVERYBODY thought this was a great idea. Yet in this example the rule seems to be that its OK because a CO says so.....what happenned to the above great idea????!!!!! Is it that if a Cop disagrees with you and you have the paperwork to support you go with the paperwork but if a CO says its OK but the paperwork is unclear and actually suggests its not OK and assumptions have been made that you go with the CO? HMMMMM

So, in the above example, just having a copy of the regs in your posession should clairify the rules to any officer that questions you.

If your boat is not propelled at the time of your shot, you were not in "a boat propelled by a motor"

This is all I have to go by...........Might be best to consult a CO, and a Lawyer as well on this one:-?.

RD

kgriz
11-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey good point....but it still begs the question then of why they had to use the term POWERBOAT for migratory game birds and then provide a specific definition.

Philcott
11-08-2009, 02:48 PM
"It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"

I interpret it this way.

If they had meant no shooting from a motor boat they would have said "or a motor boat" just like like they said, "from a motor vehicle" but they said "from a boat propelled by a motor" insinuating if it is no longer being propelled you would be good to go. It would be better worded "a boat being propelled by a motor".

I do see where confusion can come from the wording but that is not the only spot where the regs are confusing.

Rock Doctor
11-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey good point....but it still begs the question then of why they had to use the term POWERBOAT for migratory game birds and then provide a specific definition.

I don't hunt "Migratory Game Birds", and so did not ask specifically about that, but in our discussions he did mention how easy it would be to roar up to Animals with aboat Propelled by a motor. I would take it that he means all animals, wheather they are Big Game or Migratory Animals. This might be a reason why a Powerboat must be disengaged, anchored, beached, or tied while hunting Migratory Birds.

I have several boats, and in my experience, it is easy to get close to Ducks/Geese when they are swimming around a lake, or on the river. The birds can not get up and away from, or out of range of a couple guys in a powerboat. You would also be able to cover HUGE areas. I know that when I cruse the rivers in the fall, there are Geese/Ducks around every corner, and if I owned a Shotgun...................well, I don't think they would stand a chance, if I decided I wanted some.

So, like BIG GAME, I think they are trying to prevent guys from powerboating right up to the Migratory Birds before shooting them

Just thinking out loud:-?

RD

MuleyMadness
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Gawd, it's like disagreeing with my wife ffs....Anyways the key part of the sentence " It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"

is:
BOAT PROPELLED BY A MOTOR.

This sentence says, VERY CLEARLY that it is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle OR a boat propelled by a motor. That is an OR there my friend, which means the boat, in this instance, is not considered a motor vehicle, but, wait for it...A BOAT, and as a BOAT, it's unlawful to shoot wildlife from it if it's...whoa now...PROPELLED BY A MOTOR.

It's really not that difficult..just remember elementary school grammer and sentence structure.

I can understand why everybody thinks I'm being stupid but let me put it this way....

It states: it is unlawful to HUNT migratory game birds from a POWER BOAT

My point is that everybody transfers the definition of POWERBOAT to the first situation and lifts the motor to be legal etc. BUT should you do this?

IF that was the case why not reference the very specific term POWERBOAT directly in the first statement?
Also why the shoot vs hunt statement for the two. Its very specific for the second statement that its HUNTING not shooting....this suggests to me that there was some sort of case/dispute involving hunting and or shooting and mig. game bird hunting that caused this very specific change in the regs.....This seems to be the general process for the changes in green in the regs every year. I'm suggesting that this prob. happenned and it may have been an oversight not to specifically include of other game species along with mig. game birds.

shoot2kill
11-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Elementary school grammer!!! Uugggh! I failed grammer and hated school, except for the girls and partys!
If I wasn't sure about somthing in school I would ask the teacher in charge of my grades (didn't help much). -f in doubt ask the co in charge. Phone #s are in the regs. After all the discussion I think that the languge of the rules allows for shooting from a boat where the motor is off,

Gawd, it's like disagreeing with my wife ffs....Anyways the key part of the sentence " It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"

is:
BOAT PROPELLED BY A MOTOR.

This sentence says, VERY CLEARLY that it is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle OR a boat propelled by a motor. That is an OR there my friend, which means the boat, in this instance, is not considered a motor vehicle, but, wait for it...A BOAT, and as a BOAT, it's unlawful to shoot wildlife from it if it's...whoa now...PROPELLED BY A MOTOR.

It's really not that difficult..just remember elemetary school grammer and sentence structure.

IronNoggin
11-08-2009, 05:11 PM
We run jet rigs all the time both in BC and Alberta. As guides and outfitters we have been directly informed by both relevent ministries that once the power is down (as in boat no longer being "propelled") we are good to go - load then shoot. You can argue the semantics or the grammer until you are blue in the face, but that is the word DIRECTLY from the Horse's Mouth.

Cheers,
Nog - Running the rivers even now...

kgriz
11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I guess following the "propelled" as a verb argument ...its then Ok to shoot from my ATV as long as its not being propelled by mechanized means....check the def. of ATV, the wording is very similar...isn't an ATV if not being" propelled".I'm not disputing what happens and what most if not all COs say is OK I'm just pointing out that it seems weird to even bother with the migratory game bird part plus the definitions of Power Boat etc. if its as easy as everyone says.....why bother with the parts about anchoring, tying to a blind, being on shore etc. if its OBVIOUSLY covered off with the propelled wording of all wildlife????

Gateholio
11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I guess following the "propelled" as a verb argument ...its then Ok to shoot from my ATV as long as its not being propelled by mechanized means....check the def. of ATV, the wording is very similar...isn't an ATV if not being" propelled".I'm not disputing what happens and what most if not all COs say is OK I'm just pointing out that it seems weird to even bother with the migratory game bird part plus the definitions of Power Boat etc. if its as easy as everyone says.....why bother with the parts about anchoring, tying to a blind, being on shore etc. if its OBVIOUSLY covered off with the propelled wording of all wildlife????

It's like this:

It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat, propelled by a motor"

That means a boat or motor vehicle while under power.

The regs say:

It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor"

Which is probably easier to interpret if they put in periods:

It is unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle. Or a boat propelled by a motor"

My take on it, anyway..

kgriz
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Gatehouse I would totally agree with that IF there wasn't the whole next part about migratory game birds and powerboat defintions and the parts about anchoring, being on shore etc. what difference does any of that make if its OK as long as not being propelled....surely migratory game birds fall under the category of "wildlife".
I've got a friend digging up some really old regs from different years, I'm curious as to how the evolution of this came about...I suspect that it all started with something like " No shooting from boats",
then the duck guys complained and it got changed from there...and people just assumed that big game got lumped in when I'm not so sure the language suggests that....obviously if all CO's say go ahead you can do it as they're the one's that are going to bust you whether the original intent of the law is being followed or not; however this just caught my eye originally and got me wondering because of the extensive pain they went through to define things etc. when it came to migratory birds.....seems awfully reduntant if its as everybody suggests

Gateholio
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
seems like all the CO's accept it as legal to shoot form a boat with the engine turned off...

I don't own a boat, so I won't worry about it. I have a canoe, and I have shot from that. Best is when you stand up and shoot from broadside with a .375. Tie a life jacket to the triggerguard!:mrgreen:

kgriz
11-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Seems to be the final answer everybody gives....the way its written makes no sense especially the part about migratory game birds but hey the CO's say its OK...I'm curious what the old regs will show.