PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Fish??

Angel
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Just thought I would start a thread to help inform local anglers to share advice with eachother. Today I went out on the Vedder just off No.3 and Boundry, there were a few coho kicking around but it was pretty dead. Decided to switch up and head up over by Norrish Cr and the Hawkins Pickle Rd river, it was decent fishing alot of people out trying to catch the big one but not much bitting. Got some helpful advice from a local CO in the area saying to head up high on the Norrish and that the Coho and Chum are plentiful there.

Anyone else heard anything good or have any nice Chum, Coho or Spring spots to share with the local HBCer's?

Good Luck and Have fun!

britman101
11-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Too bad you did not try Nicomen Slough as that stretch can be good for Coho sometimes. It is getting late in the season for Salmon so you won't see the numbers that were there in September or October. Sounds like you were fishing the Lower Vedder in the waters in and around the canal. Next time you might want to try the middle or upper sections of the Vedder and with any luck you might get into a reasonably bright coho. Chum in my opinion are pretty much done in that river system even for the smoker :tongue:, but they can still put up a decent fight.

Angel
11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Ya the Vedder is not what it was a month ago thats for sure. Yes we were around the Nicomen Slough and we did a few km hike up the river. There was better fishing there but nothing was biting really.

Any thoughts on a spot with decent Chum numbers? What about around the Chehalis River?

recoil
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Me and my old man used to fish the slough above and below the highway bridge and had some good luck on 2" crocs, brass with the red stripe. Could be hit or miss but the coho that did bite were straight from the salt and chrome as can be. Vary the retrieve by letting the spoon drop as it seems to temp them into striking. Some fatty cutthroat in their too if you are using bait or flies.

NaStY
11-08-2009, 05:16 PM
The Vedder will still have some coho left in it but will be a tough fishery..

The north side of the Fraser should now be on. Try the slough, suicide and the chehalis....

We would start our day on the chehalis then move down to the slough and fish the incoming tide.....

You can also try under the bridge over the Harrison river or Harrison bay.

Kudu
11-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Just thought I would start a thread to help inform local anglers to share advice with eachother. Today I went out on the Vedder just off No.3 and Boundry, there were a few coho kicking around but it was pretty dead. Decided to switch up and head up over by Norrish Cr and the Hawkins Pickle Rd river, it was decent fishing alot of people out trying to catch the big one but not much bitting. Got some helpful advice from a local CO in the area saying to head up high on the Norrish and that the Coho and Chum are plentiful there.

Anyone else heard anything good or have any nice Chum, Coho or Spring spots to share with the local HBCer's?

Good Luck and Have fun!

Head up to the hatchery five hundred meters below works well, get there while its dark and fish the dawn - dont go near the place on the weekend - otherwise pass the hatchery and fish 10k's upstream.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/Island2006.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/BC2006-10-1.jpg

Jimr
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
chehalis is good right now from what i hear, Vedder you might get some coho and some later Springs, and the stave is holding quite a few CHUM and some coho coming out of there also....headin there today to get some more COHO

M@B
11-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Took the dog for a walk along the Cap yesturday and watched a couple guys pull 5 Coho's out in about half hour. not bad shape either.
I'm heading up sometime this week to giver a shot.

M@B
11-10-2009, 10:20 AM
By the way Kudu, beauty spey set up!

Angel
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
where abouts on the Capilano were you? It must be running really fast right now.

Kudu
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Took the dog for a walk along the Cap yesturday and watched a couple guys pull 5 Coho's out in about half hour. not bad shape either.
I'm heading up sometime this week to giver a shot.

Thanks for the compiment mate - the only way I fish nowdays.

M@B
11-12-2009, 11:44 AM
where abouts on the Capilano were you? It must be running really fast right now.
Yeah it's big right now. even bigger yesterday(went back up) fished for about an hour and got into one smaller guy that spit the hooks at me.
But I was right up by the hatchery, under the bridge and down river 50 yards. I was going to hike further down but it was pissing rain and the river was huge.