PDA

View Full Version : Penticton whitetail advice needed

Centerfire
11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm heading up to Penticton on monday to try to fill my LEH Antlerless Whitetail tag for the 8-9 area. I'm a new hunter as of this year and thus could definately use some advice on hunting these animals up there.

Any tips would be appreciated regarding whitetails and/or good areas to check out in 8-9. I'm not asking for anybody to give up their sweet spots, just some help getting pointed in a good general direction.

Thanks,
dbuhler

BigfishCanada
11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Go up Carmi (Way up behind the Penticton Speedway) youll see a whack of whitie does, dont try an go past the watershed, i saw 100's of does on the road and side roads before the water shed just before dark last year in October.

youll tag it no problem up there!

Good luck

jonz
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I have been through that same area many times this year including just before dark but have seen only a couple whitetail. But it's worth a try, good luck.

gary murray
11-07-2009, 11:35 PM
PM sent to your inbox. I may be able to help you out.

OldNewbie
11-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Am looking for some similar advice, have a Novice LEH for White Tail doe in 8-14.

Will be travelling from Kamloops next week. My maps indicate there are a couple of options; access the north end of the MU via Highway #6 near Monashee Pass (via 8-13) or the west side of the MU via Highway #33 (thru 8-12).

I would be grateful for thoughts any of you might share (forestry road conditions, private property concerns) regarding my options for getting into some white tail action. Am happy to walk/hike once I get there.

Many thanks in advance,

- OldNewbie

pete_k
11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't know 8-9 that well. But 8-12 (middle and south) can be pretty good for Whitetail.
Maybe try to get close to 8-12?

gary murray
11-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Am looking for some similar advice, have a Novice LEH for White Tail doe in 8-14.

Will be travelling from Kamloops next week. My maps indicate there are a couple of options; access the north end of the MU via Highway #6 near Monashee Pass (via 8-13) or the west side of the MU via Highway #33 (thru 8-12).

I would be grateful for thoughts any of you might share (forestry road conditions, private property concerns) regarding my options for getting into some white tail action. Am happy to walk/hike once I get there.

Many thanks in advance,

- OldNewbie
Christian Valley in 8-14. You should have no problem getting your whitetail doe tag filled there. I just came back from there on Friday with a small buck and i did see lots of does.

pete_k
11-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Many thanks in advance,

- OldNewbie

Access either way is great. You should definately get your doe.
There are more forestry sites if you come in from the south via Hwy 33.

Not trying to scare you off here, but there has been reports on this site about a sow Griz and two cubs takin' meat from someones camp a few days ago. So keep your eyes open and be bear safe. Especially if your soft camping.

The area you are going into is awsome. Its the type of area you can go in to and just "wing it" without knowing too much about the area and still have a really great time. Bring spare gas if you plan on road hunting.

OldNewbie
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the warning regarding the sow/cubs!