PDA

View Full Version : heading tothe gang ranch!

husky30-06
11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
My buddy I and I are heading up to the gang ranch to hunt in Nov 20 - 24. :-D:-D
Should be an interesting trip as I have not been there before. I am not shy to a good hike in hunt, but I have been told to expect some big boys. I will post the story when we get back and any/all pics that I take.

CooperSscat
11-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Good luck to you husky30-06!

A group of us will be there Nov 21-23 for 4 pointers too. We've never hunted in Zone A either, only Zone B. Good times for us if the rut is still going on!

Jeremy

Angel
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
make sure you take extra gas:mrgreen:.... lots of does in that area this year and a few smaller bucks...... oct.30-31

tomahawk
11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Good luck to you husky30-06!

A group of us will be there Nov 21-23 for 4 pointers too. We've never hunted in Zone A either, only Zone B. Good times for us if the rut is still going on!

Jeremy

Hunted that area lots in the last week of Nov, its prime time for sure!!

Brew
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Good luck! The rut will be getting heavy then.

CooperSscat
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Good tips on hunting North of the Gang Mpotzold!

I saw my 1st wolf in last year in Region 3. Their numbers over the last few years seem to be creeping up!

Jeremy

FLHTCUI
11-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Take your camera and Binos, iirc before the bridge that cross the Fraser you may get lucky and see some sheep to your right looking up them draws.
Try BlackDome and the surrounding area too.
Tight Groups.
Rob

Islandeer
11-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Steep and thick timber. Get in there!! Smack a big one.

stixnstones
11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
might wanna bring chains n gas forsure.

BCBigGame
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Just spent a week in the area, saw one legal four point and was too small for the effort required. The deer sign in the area is the lowest in 10 years. I talked to several people including rancher, grater operator, and CO's and the deer are not there (yet hopefully). The rancher typically see 1500 deer on his fields this time of year and is now seeing 150-200. Co's have seen very few four-points in road checks. I drove through the Gang Ranch and saw 4 does, typically see more than I chose to count. Hopefully the weather is the main factor and not some more long term reason. Good luck and hope you see lots of deer.

garyt
11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
i hunted in the sheriden lake area last week its like the deer have been vacumned out of there do they actually migrate from there there was snow with hardly any to no tracks in most areas we put on a lotof miles and same everywhere we were thinking wolves also

deer nut
11-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I (foolishly?) passed on a 2 point the first evening and later saw (very briefly) a nice buck on the Fraser breaks but he never gave me a shot.

On the way home, wouldn't you know it, I saw a nice 4 point bedded on the hillside within shooting distance of the road - unfortunately he was just inside the Gang Ranch & I didn't have permission!

Lots of hunters in the area this year so I don't think you can blame it on the wolves!! One camp took 7 bucks in any buck season & they were tag-trading on antlerless for sure by the way the were talking.

Nice country but didn't connect with the big buck I was hoping for.....

frenchbar
11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Hunt deep into the confines of the gang and you will be rewarded..

burger
11-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I (foolishly?) passed on a 2 point the first evening and later saw (very briefly) a nice buck on the Fraser breaks but he never gave me a shot.

On the way home, wouldn't you know it, I saw a nice 4 point bedded on the hillside within shooting distance of the road - unfortunately he was just inside the Gang Ranch & I didn't have permission!

Lots of hunters in the area this year so I don't think you can blame it on the wolves!! One camp took 7 bucks in any buck season & they were tag-trading on antlerless for sure by the way the were talking.

Nice country but didn't connect with the big buck I was hoping for.....

What us tag trading. I'm sure its illegal but whats it mean??

srupp
11-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I was just there overnight....and not much moving YET..not enough snow, and still isnt really cold..two HUGE factors that affect deer movement in that area, by spring some small areas will have 3,500 deer in them..

I have hunted Gang for 30 years...and the secret is indeed getting back into the steep HEAVY growth...thats the plaace the big boyz like what Mark harvested in Kelowna...it takes 30 " of snow to push those big bucks down..

I was in there scouting out Cal rams...pretty sparse....however did find 2 rams of the 3 I knew were in there..both rams would make 165 and 170...so they ARE still there guys.. soem decent cold and some snow and so will the bucks pour into CERTAIN AREAS..

and yes the WOLVES have moved into the cariboo BIG TIME..:evil:

cheeers

Steven

David Heitsman
11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I've seen wolves (5) within walking distance of the calving barns about four years ago. Called one in and got a shot away but didn't connect.

deer nut
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
What us tag trading. I'm sure its illegal but whats it mean??

Tag-trading is shooting an animal and cancelling somebody else's tag. In this case, saying that the camp has 3 doe LEH tags as opposed to 3 specific hunters have tags. This is pretty common - but the penalties are severe - including prohibition on hunting for at least a year. Legally, you cannot hunt for s/t you don't have a tag for.

David Heitsman
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Are you guys getting permission to hunt the Gang Ranch or just calling the areas around it 'the Gang'?

Their signage clearly states no hunting on their land and the manager reminded me of that when I brought a friend in with a plane in there a few seasons ago and had it land on their ranch strip.

olharley guy
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Howdy, Just picked up a free copy of the RV Times at our local Save-on Foods store.

The last copy had a story about some northern BC'RS going into the Gang Ranch with their motorhomes towing 4 wheelers-not hunting.

This copy has an article by Larry Ramstad the manager of the Gang Ranch. he sounded like a pretty good guy but he was not impressed by the original article where the group was going in closed areas and visiting some of the ranch's cabins without permission.

He stated that there were signs all over the place re the ATV restricted areas but the first author probaly didn't see them.

There seems to be quite a few areas closed to ATV'S, best to check things out first and he sort of made it sound like if a person asked permission to go to some areas,it may be granted.

It was actually a good article by him. Later

David Heitsman
11-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I just got my RV times in the mail but haven't opened it up yet.

husky30-06
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks guys... our "GUIDE" says we are going into an area that is on the border of the gang ranch.... yes access is limited for quads and our respect of thier property is huge. should be quite an experience. I will take plenty of pics for you guys and hopefuly some game pics too.

CooperSscat
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
My Dad and I bumped into 2 guys yesterday above the Gang Ranch. They said there used to be hunting allowed on the Gang-by permission-up to a few years ago. The pit lamping and people shooting at deer near the ranch buildings(even discharging towards the buildings) was enough though. It's sad to think there are people out there like that with no common sense etc.

Jeremy

hunter1947
11-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Good luck on your hunt ,looking forward to the pic of your hunt when you get back.