PDA

View Full Version : How to pick a pup?

mstewart
11-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi,
After being without a dog for 2 years, I finally got the ok from my wife. I've got 2nd pick of a litter of Vizslas. I want a male. #1 priority is a good family dog. (I have 2 girls, 8 and 10). I may aslo try some upland game hunting. I've heard a lot of suggestions. ie "let the pup pick you" or "don't pick the first one that runs up to you" I do want the largest and strongest but I also want one that will be easier to train. I appreciate any ideas on what has been successful for others in choosing pups. Also, what is the ideal age to choose my pup, 2,3 or 4 weeks of age? I'm geting pretty excited it's going to be a great surprise for my kids.
Thank in advance,
Mike

dutchie
11-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi,
After being without a dog for 2 years, I finally got the ok from my wife. I've got 2nd pick of a litter of Vizslas. I want a male. #1 priority is a good family dog. (I have 2 girls, 8 and 10). I may aslo try some upland game hunting. I've heard a lot of suggestions. ie "let the pup pick you" or "don't pick the first one that runs up to you" I do want the largest and strongest but I also want one that will be easier to train. I appreciate any ideas on what has been successful for others in choosing pups. Also, what is the ideal age to choose my pup, 2,3 or 4 weeks of age? I'm geting pretty excited it's going to be a great surprise for my kids.
Thank in advance,
Mike

First off congrats on convincing the wife! and buy some new running shoes cuz you will be running ALOT!!!

if you want to pick a pup for upland bring a dead bird (pigoen, pheasent, quail), and one that is the most interested/no scared of it is going to have the most instinctive prey drive.

Second. Vizslas are all good looking dogs, so don't cloud your judgment by looks.

third, try to go just before feeding time and paly with the pus for a bit, the family dog will usually stop eating and come over to see the breeder when it is eating.

fourth, a theory for the reason that alot of dogs get seperation anxiety is they leave the mom too soon. I waited for 9 weeks for my dog, but the mojority of breeders start to let them go around 6-7 weeks. IMO this is too early, 8 weeks is a minium. Make sure you go over there a few times and see the dog, because you will get to know the dogs better

Last I was all about the males when I got my dog, becasue inorder to test in the hunting tests you have to have the dog intact. and females can be a bit messy for a few weeks of the year so I went for a male. If you are going to neuter or spay right away, then the female will be a little more temperate. this is not 100% fact for all dogs tho, each dog is different.

good luck with your decission and now because you have talked about it, you need to post pictures when you get your pup!

Dutchie

Clint_S
11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I look for an outgoing friendly pup and just really test for shyness.
Try to make a loud startling noise and watch the pups. They will all react but the pup you want should get over it quick.
I second the "go over a few times" because a pup that may appear to be a dud may in reality just be waking up or worn out. You may want to take some different coloured yarn over because keeping your eye on a particular pup or two can be difficult in a large litter.

mstewart
11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for your input. All good points. I never thought about making a loud noise but I guess even a loud clap of the hands may work. I used to have a female and I was very happy with her. I guess I just want a male this time. I think I'll head down next week and pick him out. They'll be 3 weeks old then. I won't be taking her home till at least 8 weeks. I totally agree 6-7 weeks is too early. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever pup I choose.
Thanks again
Mike

MooseMauler
11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Mike - great choice on the breed. I have two male cousins to the Vizsla, Weimaraners. They are fantastic bird dogs. Loyal, hard working and energetic. I have a two year old son and another baby due in March. They have been great family dogs too.

When I was looking at the litters, the first thing I looked for was how attentive each puppy was. I made a point of bringing a tennis ball with a grouse wing attached to it with me. I threw the ball around and watched which puppies elected to chase after it. This helped narrow the selection down almost by half. The rest you can easily train once you get them home.

A good family dog are character traits that you and your family instill in the dog itself. How you train it, discipline, routine and structure.

Good luck. The puppy stage is a bugger but you realize how worth it is when you shoot your first duck and your Vizsla takes off after it and brings it back in one piece.

Rod

Angel
11-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I would definitely spend some quality time with the pup and dont feel rushed. Spend as much time as you need and go and see them at different times of the day. 8 weeks is definitely the earliest i would recommend for a pup. Good luck and post pics

Kasomor
11-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for your input. All good points. I never thought about making a loud noise but I guess even a loud clap of the hands may work. I used to have a female and I was very happy with her. I guess I just want a male this time. I think I'll head down next week and pick him out. They'll be 3 weeks old then. I won't be taking her home till at least 8 weeks. I totally agree 6-7 weeks is too early. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever pup I choose.
Thanks again
Mike

Pups at three weeks old are barely out of the whelping box, way to early to pick one for a family dog or a potential hunting partner. Is the breeder in a hurry for you to pick? I don't pick who my pups go to until they are in the seven to eight week range. I pick the pup for the family, after all who has spent more time with the pup? Breeder or puppy buyer? Yes people want to know which one they are getting but are thrilled that I take picking the right pup for them so seriously. There is tons of discussion going on while this process is going on to. Visits at least once a week once the pups are over three weeks old, etc..

They go home between 8 and 9 weeks old. This is standard practice for many breeders who are trying to pick the right pup for the right owner.

Pups at 21 days old have only had their eyes and ears open for a week. They have not been started on solid food or if they have it's only been a couple of days. They are just starting to learn what their legs are for. They have usually had very little experience with people outside of their own family. At three weeks old they sleep, eat, and poop.

They don't have a personality because they have not been alive long enough to develop one.

Come to my house at three weeks and do a startle/ recovery test and pup will not be going home with that person ever.

Volhard Temperament test has been around for years and will give you a greater idea of what each pup will turn out to be. It is done at 49 days old http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php

But at 5 weeks you can get a good idea of what a pup will be. Personality, temperament, activity level, structure, desire to please, desire to be with people, birdiness with dead and live pigeons, courage, noise and pain sensitivity, etc... can BEGIN to be evaluated.

At 6 weeks it's better

At 7 weeks it's even better.

At 8 we are rocking!

Take your girls with you each time you go and the wife too. Do you really want that pup that hangs on to your 8 year olds pant leg, you can't get the pup off, and your daughter no longer wants a pup? Maybe you do may be you don't.

Getting a new pup is really exciting for everyone but there is a lot that goes into choosing the right pup for you. :-D

Have fun and best of luck with the new kid,

Kasomor

kinderdoggin
11-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Ditto to all that Kasomor said.

Lots'oLabs
11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I agree with tempermant testing at 49 days, however, I also believe that the pup should go home with the owner at 7 weeks in order for the bonding process to begin with the new owner/handler. If the transfer to owner is made correctly there shouldn't be any seperation anxiety.

I have chosen all my dogs with temperment testing.
The process I use to aquaint a new pup to new surrounding is simple and I've never had anxiety issues.
I begin by lining a wire puppy crate with a flannel blanket that I've slept on for a couple of weeks. Then I put the wire crate next to my bed raised to the same level as my mattress. He goes to bed when both of us are good and tired. If the puppy gets fussy in the night I either take him outside for a piddle or if I think he is just being fussy, I'll slide my hand through the wire and stroke him. Be prepared to take him outside at least a couple of times each night.
After 2 or 3 nights I move him to floor level.
After 7 or 8 nights his crate is moved to the permanent place where he will sleep.
At this point he is crate trained, bonded to me, and has a sense of his new routine.
Your puppy's crate should be the place where he feels secure and content. Give him a treat each time you put him there and he'll soon learn that he gets to go there because he is good.

I also strongly agree with Kasomor. A good breeder will help you choose the appropriate puppy for your situation.
Spend as much time with the litter as you can and with the whole family present.

Have fun! It's such an exciting time for you:mrgreen:

Kasomor
11-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Last I was all about the males when I got my dog, becasue inorder to test in the hunting tests you have to have the dog intact.
Dutchie

Going off topic a bit sorry :mrgreen: but what hunting tests does a dog have to be intact for?

Retriever Hunt Tests the dog can be altered. Is it different in the other sporting breed HT?

Kasomor

mstewart
11-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Wow, great points. I'll hold off to selecting the pup till at least 6-7 weeks. The pup is in Wash state so it's a little hard visiting often. I'll head down at 3 weeks and maybe one more time before I select one. I'll bring a pen and paper and keep notes every time. I appreciate all your advice. It's given me some ideas that I never thought about. Thanks to Lotsalabs and Kasomor for your points too. The plan is to surprise my kids on Dec 23rd. Then take him home on Jan 2. Maybe I can make my selection on Dec 23rd when my kids are present. That'll be 7 weeks. Sounds like that would be best.

BowHunter England
11-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Not sure if this has been posted and it may seem supersticious but i heard the darker the gums the better mind you i heard this bout border collies tho

dutchie
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Going off topic a bit sorry :mrgreen: but what hunting tests does a dog have to be intact for?

Retriever Hunt Tests the dog can be altered. Is it different in the other sporting breed HT?

Kasomor

German Hunting Tests... They are actually Breeding tests. The Derby and Solms. A German Reg'd dog can not be paper'd untill they have sucessfully pasted the Derby and Solms (VJP and HZP for DD's I belive).

They do this because in Germany they only want dogs to be bred that have been feild proven as well as conformation tests, hips, eyes, etc. to keep the breed standard high and not deviate from the original use of the dog.

Its a German thing.

Kasomor
11-09-2009, 12:25 AM
I agree with tempermant testing at 49 days, however, I also believe that the pup should go home with the owner at 7 weeks in order for the bonding process to begin with the new owner/handler. If the transfer to owner is made correctly there shouldn't be any seperation anxiety.

Take a look at this article which was printed in Gun Dog Magazine regarding taking pup home on the 49th day (seven weeks)

Another Look at the 49th Day

by Dr. Ed Bailey, Professor Emeritus, Animal Behavior, University of Guelph

http://www.calibertollers.com/49daymyth.htm

Cheers,
Kasomor

bopper
11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
49th day is the optimum time for a pup to be taken.Good luck with yours!

11-09-2009, 11:39 AM
This might not be the best way to pick the "perfect pup"
let your kids do it, tell them to pick a boy or pick a girl which ever you settle on.
i let my wife pick our lab. She had never in her life got to pick a pup.
if you have picked a good litter then all the dogs should be pretty good.
unless you are a big field trial guy with the right amount of time spent training you will never think of it if there was another "better" pup in the litter.
My lab was picked soly by my wife. I had no input.I spend alot of time with my dog and he is every bit a grouse/duck dog i would ever want.

Lots'oLabs
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Interesting article from Gun Dog Magazine. Thanks for the link.
I understand how 49 days could be disasterous for a pup being moved to unprepared 1st time owners or into a home where he/she is overstimulated.
However, I can only speak for myself and the success I've had adding a new member to the household.
My training programme begins on the day the pup comes home with me. It begins gently and positively and really begins to pick up spped at 16 weeks.
I'm not out to set any field trial records, but the earlier we begin to bond, the sooner we've created a trust in each other to start basic obedience and field work.
At this point we've got 2 3 yr. olds running sucessfully in Open. The best part is that they are happy, healthy and loved!

mstewart
11-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Kasomor thanks for sharing that article. It sure lets us understand the whole process better. I'm sure every pup would be an excellant pick. The pup is a surprise for my kids. We're going down to show them and surprise them on Dec 23rd. Unless there is a particular pup that stands out or impresses me, mayble I'll let my wife and kids pick. Either way I'm sure he'll be a great dog. My parents told my brother and I that we were going to Wash state to visit some relatives when they surprised us with a Chesapeake Bay retriever pup. It was my idea to do the same with my kids. I can't wait. We're going to video tape their expressions.
Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions when we start training.
Mike

11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
the training is just a bit harder than the picking!

mstewart
11-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Re: Training. I plan on setting some rules. I've learned from the past. No people food. No sleeping on beds. I hopefully will be a better trainer and master than before. I plan on putting in a lot of time and effort, especially if I get into Upland game training.
M

11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
It can be alot of fun. Keep all the bird wings you can get, they are great for training. I walk down a trail and throw one on one side then the other on the other side, alternating for a little while. Keep track of where you threw them. This will get the dog going back and forth as you walk down the trail and "finding " birds. the one he misses you can point in the bush and say "find the bird" this will get him trustin that you are right that there is a bird in the bush.

dogs are fun. When you get'em good its great. My buddie shot a grouse on the road this year driving and couldnt find it, he called me on the radio for my dog. It took 5-10 min to arrive on site and he explained the bird was hit and it ran. Got the dog marked him and hollered "DEAD BIRD FIND IT!" chase blasted in the bush, Larry said "i wonder if he will find it?"
as Chase arrived with bird in mouth and i says "you mean that one?"
time spent is worth it!

mstewart
11-11-2009, 09:32 PM
835 thanks for the story. I'm going whitetail hunting next week. Maybe I'll get a grouse or 2 and save some of the feathers for training.