PDA

View Full Version : need info for school project

wildlife student
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Hello,

I'm working on a project for school about the pros and cons of allowing hunting in BC parks. Hoping someone here might know of a good source for info on this topic, or maybe you're read an article recently? Personal opinions are great too! We're trying to find more information about the economic value of allowing hunting, and the reasons behind why hunting is allowed in some parks but not others. Also effects on wildlife populations, non-target species, etc.

Thanks very much for any info provided.

moose hunter
01-16-2006, 10:46 PM
the government is stupid plain and simple but for sure its moslty because of the population of the species of certain parks if one species is gettin to large and causing demise of others then you will probaly be able to hunt them, why did you come to this site to get info im sure u will but still

hoochie
01-16-2006, 10:55 PM
off the top of my head....
hunting helps to balance the predator/ prey ratio, and it also helps to ensure a safer park ( removing cougars where MS. priss may take little feefee for a walk). It also helps to remove "pests" from eating and or spreading litter.. bears and coons getting into garbage and tearing the place up...
But to hunt or not to hunt is a matter of "political mindset" of the time... it may not be seen as being appropriate now as it used to be, and this may change so that in the near future a no hunting location may be open for hunting due to some specific animal issue.

i6s1
01-17-2006, 04:55 AM
I tend to think that we should all be able to use parks for recreation. Hunting is safe and ethical, so why exactly should we NOT be allowed to hunt in parks?

Wildlife populations are unchanged by hunting. In any given section of habitat, (for example, a park) there is something called "carrying capacity". That means that there is a maximum number of animals of each type that can survive.

Lets say that Park "X" has a carrying capacity of 10 000 deer. Each spring, most of the females will give birth to one or more fawns. Some won't survive the summer, so lets say that there are 13 000 deer by fall. During the winter, 3000 deer will have to die, because the habitat can't support more then that. Winter is when there is the least amount of food available, so its the winter food sources that have the greatest impact on carrying capacity.

Since 3000 deer will die over the winter anyway, hunters taking 100, 200, or even 2000 won't have any impact on how many deer there are come spring. Government biologists monitor the number of animals taken each year, and adjust the hunting regulations to protect animals from over-hunting.

There isn't much impact to non-target species. Hunters have to positively identify what they are shooting at, so there isn't much impact on anything that isn't hunted.

Hunting has a huge positive impact on BC's economy. In 2003, hunters spent $116 million in BC. The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund put $6.5 million towards preserving habitat in 2005 - pretty much all of it paid by hunters and fishers. Removing hunting from parks could have a negative impact on the number of hunters, which reduces hunting licence revenue for the Ministry of the Environment. Last year, the ministry sold 84000 licences at $32 each, plus whatever they sold for big game tags for deer, moose, bear, etc.

The obvious con that people will come up with is that parks are more dangerous with people hunting in them. But how many people are killed by hunters in parks every year? Not many. You could put every hunter in BC in a park, and it would still be far safer then a car on a highway, or a pedestrian on a Toronto street. People are attacked by animals in parks sometimes as well, hunters lessen that risk.

Hunting is not permitted in Banff National Park.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050829/banff_bearattackclosures_20050829?s_name=&no_ads=

Why is hunting allowed in some parks and not others? I would have to guess that it is because people generally don't mind hunting, but don't want it done nearby. Hunting isn't allowed in National Parks, but it is allowed in most Provincial Parks. Offhand, I only know Garibaldi and Manning parks are closed to hunting. Its likely due to thier popularity with urban folks who want to see nature unspoiled - except for the ski hill, the roads, the concession, the gift shop, the parking lots, the resorts....

CanuckShooter
01-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Not to mention that hunting 'pre conditions' predators to avoid humans, thus less contact with bears / cougars, and less chance of nasty encounters.

boxhitch
01-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Why is hunting allowed in some parks and not others
Not all parks are created equal. the reasons behind the creation of each individual park has its own. Some are for "special species" protection, some are about "habitat" protection, others are for "recreational" uses. If a BC Park is created for wildlife viewing oppurtunities because it contains elk/sheep/deer winter habitat, chances are that hunting will not be allowed.
Although, more recently, some parks land has been set aside, with less tangible reasons, just because the Prov Gov't decided we needed "X" number of acres of protected area (some % of land mass). Reasons ???????

Kirby
01-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Couple of questions, where are you in school? Whats your program?
Talk to a local Wildlife biologist, they will have names, and numbers and can likely lead you to studies conducted on this.

Kirby

tmarschall
01-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Not sure how long ago it was, but I think there was some massive die off in yellowstone because they did not allow hunting to control the populations. Might check into that one. Thats about all i remember about it. Good luck from a wildlife student graduate... Tom

Driftwood
01-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Thank you for your inquirery. What you have read so far is the tip of the ice berg. Share a bit of information on who and what you are and do and the wealth of knowledge you can gleen from the members on this site will far exceed any encyclopedia.