PDA

View Full Version : A story worth telling

bc7mm
11-06-2009, 12:18 PM
My son and his friend went out in region 7 Nov 4 for a deer hunt. I'd drawn him a map of an area I'd seen a few deer in, it was an area he'd not been before. A late start and getting lost they felt the morning was a wash. Sitting at a cross roads with a map they turned up a short logging road to try to get back to the main road and hopefully a better hunting opportunity.

A couple KM's along they saw a lone moose, then a cow and calf. A small logged area surrounded by fields showed some promise so they parked and walked quietly down the rough road.

200 yds in my son spotted a mule deer buck walking thru the scrub at about 80 yds, he quickly found an opening and shot it in the neck, it dropped in it's tracks. At the shot several deer and a cow moose stood up, at least 5 of the deer were bucks. His friend fired at the closest and it dropped with a shot thru the spine.

My son saw a moose lying behind the second downed deer and thought it had been hit as his friends bullet passed thru the deer. Not the case, bedded with the deer it finally stood up looked at the two hunters then walked off. With all the excitement niether had noticed the moose was a 2 point bull . By the time they realized, it had stretched the distance from 40 yds to 150, his friend snapped a quick shot that shook the bull, but it started trotting for the tree line. The next two shoots thru the thick growth of new poplars did nothing to slow the bull. They ran after the moose and before either were able to get off another shot it toppled into the brush. The time from the first shot at the deer to the moose falling into the brush, about a minute and a half.

They were stopped by the RCMP on the way home and spent a 1/2 hour explaining and then relaying their story again to the CO on the phone. Tags were carefully checked along with their firearms, truck etc. and finally they were sent on their way.

11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
that is funny good on em

FLHTCUI
11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
To bad the Police Officer wasn't there to help when the work started !
These guys are spoiled for a very long time, lucks SoBs'
Yeah I am jealous, in a good way.
Rob

Chuck
11-06-2009, 12:34 PM
WOW! What on earth could make this place such a popular gathering spot?

I'd definitely keep the coordinates a closely guarded secret.

rifleman
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Thats cool. they sure had alot of work to do. they must of got home pretty late.

11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
You know i dident even think of that (like i dont when i pull the trigger)
how long did they spend guttin,skinnin and quarterin? must have been a haul!

Steeleco
11-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Horse shoes were in a warm dark place that morning!! Lucky SOB's is right.
Good for them.

One Shot
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the story and picture. I am sure that they will be telling this for years to come.

BiG Boar
11-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Truly awe inspiring! Makes me want to see that one day!!!

Bowtime
11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Ada Boys. way to wackem and stackem!! That has to be the smallest bodied moose i've ever seen. Can't say id ever pass it down though!! Good eats.

brewski
11-06-2009, 01:21 PM
My son and his friend went out in region 7 Nov 4 for a deer hunt. I'd drawn him a map of an area I'd seen a few deer in, it was an area he'd not been before. A late start and getting lost they felt the morning was a wash. Sitting at a cross roads with a map they turned up a short logging road to try to get back to the main road and hopefully a better hunting opportunity.

A couple KM's along they saw a lone moose, then a cow and calf. A small logged area surrounded by fields showed some promise so they parked and walked quietly down the rough road.

200 yds in my son spotted a mule deer buck walking thru the scrub at about 80 yds, he quickly found an opening and shot it in the neck, it dropped in it's tracks. At the shot several deer and a cow moose stood up, at least 5 of the deer were bucks. His friend fired at the closest and it dropped with a shot thru the spine.

My son saw a moose lying behind the second downed deer and thought it had been hit as his friends bullet passed thru the deer. Not the case, bedded with the deer it finally stood up looked at the two hunters then walked off. With all the excitement niether had noticed the moose was a 2 point bull . By the time they realized, it had stretched the distance from 40 yds to 150, his friend snapped a quick shot that shook the bull, but it started trotting for the tree line. The next two shoots thru the thick growth of new poplars did nothing to slow the bull. They ran after the moose and before either were able to get off another shot it toppled into the brush. The time from the first shot at the deer to the moose falling into the brush, about a minute and a half.

They were stopped by the RCMP on the way home and spent a 1/2 hour explaining and then relaying their story again to the CO on the phone. Tags were carefully checked along with their firearms, truck etc. and finally they were sent on their way.
I thought moose closed Oct 31

11-06-2009, 01:24 PM
not in 7a nov 5

brewski
11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
not in 7a nov 5
My mistake Im more familiar with 7b. hell of a day for the boys

hunter1947
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Once in a while everyone will have some luck on there side in this case they did ,,good for you boys ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

1/2 slam
11-06-2009, 02:28 PM
They should buy a lottery ticket:rolleyes: Well done.

hunterofthedeer
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Well that was a sucessful trip! I love that picture too!

sparkymacker
11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I thought moose closed Oct 31

There always has to be one.......:neutral:

beeker
11-06-2009, 05:58 PM
stories like this are why i hunt. i dream of having a day like that. so sweeeet:mrgreen:

gameslayer
11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Great story lucky fellow's they are. Thanks for sharing

BearSniper
11-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow:wink:

Great story and good shooting.

Would they be interested in renting out their lucky charm for a weekend ?

I'm sure a few of us would pay some good coin, might even thorugh in a bottle of Golden Liquid from Scotland or something.

mbariesheff
11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
enough is enough where is the spot :P hahaha

5 spike
11-07-2009, 04:28 AM
congrats to all. a fine hunt and some good eating to come.

sawmill
11-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Like I`ve said.......Rather be lucky than good.Being both is even better:mrgreen:
Way to go guys!

TIKA 300
11-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Thats awesome,what are the chances,congrats to them both.

doubled
11-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Ummmm, think you need another freezer now. Lots of work there. Good job.

Paulyman
11-07-2009, 10:31 AM
You have got to be joking! this story is probably the best success story i have ever heard. Congrats guys!

ALPINE
11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Now That is the way it should be done. lol To bad about the bs with the police. Great job guys. lol

ydouask
11-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Wow, what aday! Congrats guys. As far as the Police being suspecious and doing the grilling, well , Bad, and Good, actually mostly good. A pickup truck full of legs and feet(like a DOZEN sticking out !) should draw attention and be checked out... trust they were civil. Try to repeat that episode again !!!

whitespringer
11-12-2009, 07:46 AM
What a day! It will be a long time before they have a story to top this one. Congrats.:mrgreen:

Squamch
11-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Wow, what aday! Congrats guys. As far as the Police being suspecious and doing the grilling, well , Bad, and Good, actually mostly good. A pickup truck full of legs and feet(like a DOZEN sticking out !) should draw attention and be checked out... trust they were civil. Try to repeat that episode again !!!

Yep, can't argue with that...
And well done to the boys, that's a hell of a hunt!

KodiakHntr
11-12-2009, 07:58 AM
They were stopped by the RCMP on the way home and spent a 1/2 hour explaining and then relaying their story again to the CO on the phone. .

Relaying what on the phone? Why did they have to call the CO? And what did they have to explain to the RCMP? Properly cancelled tags, legal animals, thats all there is to it. No need to explain SFA.

budismyhorse
11-12-2009, 10:01 AM
follow up like this is common.....simply just to make sure the stories line up.

from a CO buddy of mine, MANY MANY poachers are caught this way.....we should be glad they are doing things like this!

awesome story congrats on the heckofanight!

dunbartr
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
They should buy a lottery ticket:rolleyes: Well done.

indeed - next time it's at 50mil

6 K
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Good heavens man!
Post some more pics!
Good for them! Wish I could have been there to help pack, sounds like my kinda work.

#1fishslayer
11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Could you please draw me a map?

Shermdog
11-12-2009, 11:25 AM
nice work boys, what a great haul!!! Good to see the RCMP are helping out the CO's in cracking down on potential poaching.

bc7mm
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
The buck and moose my sons friend shot that morning were his first. Talk about spoiling him. One happy guy.

There are more pics but I don't have permission to use them. I think the RCMP checks are OK as long as it stops when things check out, after that it starts to seem more like harrassment. If I was a cop I'd have checked them to, it wasn't noon yet and they had a truckload.

To their credit, it is the first year they can legally hunt by themselves, they were checked and passed, nice to see.

I was out at the secret spot on the 10th. Didn't see a deer but I've never seen that many moose anywhere, in fact I saw more there than I sometimes do in an entire season scattered around in the feilds surrounding it. 11 to be exact. The slash they were in was no more than 15 acres. Saw the patches left where the three animals were cleaned. Easy to see now why they were there, I don't expect anyone has been in there all year, small rolling brushy hills that offer concealment from the road hunters, so small no one but the newbies would bother to check it out. Thanks for the responses my son is enjoying reading them.

Angel a
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow! good job guys! Must of been your lucky day:)

islandboy
11-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Good for them!! :mrgreen:

I'd drawn him a map of an area I'd seen a few deer in

So when does this little map hit e-bay? :wink:

riflebuilder
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
congrats to the boys. Why did the cops stop them?

bc7mm
11-13-2009, 07:49 AM
They stopped in a small town gas station to get cleaned up, and take care of other urgent business, RCMP officer was checking out the haul when they came out.