PDA

View Full Version : CANAM 800 ATV scams

recon
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
So I've got my eys peeled for a CANAM 800. What's with the Buy&Sell ads offering them up for $2,900 $2,800 $3,200 etc. There must be three or four of them advertised with no phone number.

Someone contacts you via email when you enquire, gives a story of why they are selling it, explains that they want to do a eBay transaction and ship it to you... bla bla bla.

What a pathetic attempt at a scam!

SLIK
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104987

It's a bit of a read, too funny. You gotta read the whole thing to understand the end.
There's actually a few websites out there dedicated to screwing with these scammers. I've tried it a few times during the cold winter months, it's entertaining.

Vanman1985
11-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Did you think about letting the RCMP check it out???? Alot of people actually buy into "pathetic scams" It might not be me or you, but pathetic or not, they need to be dealt with.

pete_k
11-06-2009, 01:11 AM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104987

It's a bit of a read, too funny. You gotta read the whole thing to understand the end.
There's actually a few websites out there dedicated to screwing with these scammers. I've tried it a few times during the cold winter months, it's entertaining.

That just took an hour. Well worth it. That guy is good.

SLIK
11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
That just took an hour. Well worth it. That guy is good.

did you call the phone number? I'd lose my mind if I went through that.

SLIK
11-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Did you think about letting the RCMP check it out???? Alot of people actually buy into "pathetic scams" It might not be me or you, but pathetic or not, they need to be dealt with.

Most of the scammers are from overseas. If you get to read the link I posted it shows how they figure that particular scammer was from africa somewhere.
There's too many of them out there and they're too hard to track. The RCMP wouldn't bother with those. There posts on cragslist are pretty easy to recognize. Whenever I'm browsing I ussually just flag em when I see them.
For kicks send them an email. They ussually respond with some sort of re-located overseas story. They always want some sort of money transfer deal.

recon
11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes at some point a money transfer is required, paypal, or escrow transfer, pending your approval of a quad that doesn't exist. If all goes to plan, you would have sent them money awaiting your CANAM 800. When it doesnt arrive, you contact them via the payment service or eBay etc. They will be nowhere to be found I'm sure.

The funny thing is, these A-holes don't keep track of their own lies. If you contact the same guy again a few days later, you get a different lie about why its priced so cheap and their reason for selling it.

boyd050
11-06-2009, 08:03 PM
it's not just atvs, it's trailers cars etc.....one of the excuses is a divorce, needing to sell, the usual BS stories... Alot of times when you get an email from these people you can pretty much tell by the broken poor english in their emails that they certainly are not who they say they are, I've seen quite a few of these scams lately, their kind of fun to waste some time on just to see how far they go!!...putz's!!!

BushPig
11-06-2009, 11:47 PM
I just spent 2 days emailing back and forth with one of these ATV so called deals. 2007 CanAm 650 with everything $2000. The guys are very fast to reply to your emails. This particular fellow stated in his emails to me, that he had moved to ENGLAND, just lost his job and recently went through knee surgery so he can not ride the quad anymore, and needs to sell the quad fast to pay his bills. That why the price is so low. They have a email address that also contains there supposed name. They answer every question you ask them except whether there is any money owed on the quad. This guy was going to ship the Quad via some UK shipping company who has a website, (I checked) for nothing (included in the price). When I get a call from the shipping company that the quad was ready to be picked up I was too go and pick it up. At that time I had to pay the shipping company via, western union, through my bank account information or paypal, half the money ($1000) and also pay a fee to the shipping company since I had never used them before. After that I would be able to view the quad. The guy said I had 5 days to view/inspect the quad and then make a decision to keep and not. If I kept it I would have to pay the remainder. If I did not like it I would just contact the shipping agency and they would pick up the quad, return my money that was put down, and the quad would be returned to the seller, BACK in ENGLAND at the sellers cost, not mine.
He mentioned to me in a few emails that the quad was purchaced in Canada, registered in Canada, and has Canadian plates??.
Since I wrote my last email to the fellow he has not replied. Apparently I am not a serious buy as he stated in his last email.
Sorry for the long story, but I thought that I should share.

I new it was to good to be true

Tyler

steyr06
11-11-2009, 10:08 PM
kinda pisses me off everytime i used to search buy n sell it would be flooded with theese scams. good choice on the can am 800 by the way i wouldn't take any other quad over it. Just make sure u find a XT package machine.