PDA

View Full Version : Kennel/Dog Run Size?

gearjunkierob
11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Folks,

We've moved to a new, unfenced property and need to bring our Beagle home (currenly shacked up at in-law's place). We'll be moving from a 1/3 acre fenced property to a totally unfenced area backing onto parkland. Great opportunities for walks, but we are going to have to figure something out for kenneling the dog. He'll most likely be inside at night and while we are at home, but we want the ability to toss him outside whenever neccesarry. What size of kennel would you reccomend for a beagle? Is 10'x12' big enough or is he going to go batty if kenneled all day while we are at work?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jimsue
11-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I have 3 runs that are 5' x 12' for my labs, 4' x 10" is lots.

Jim

bopper
11-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree with Jimsue; 4' X 12' is a good size. Or for a beagle, even 3' X 12'. If you build a large square kennel, the dog usually just stays in one corner. If they have a long narrow run, they get exercise by going back & forth in it....
Bopper

West Coast Waterfowler
11-06-2009, 08:48 PM
We have an 8'x10' run for our dog to house him in when we're not home. He doesn't get any exercise in it, as the point of the kennel (in this case) is for him to have a secure place to be. There is an insulated dog house inside the kennel, and plenty of room for him to walk around in, but not enough room for him to get any exercise.

10x12 sounds big enough for a beagle, but I like the idea of a 4x12 run to get the dog moving a bit.

KB90
11-06-2009, 08:53 PM
just bring him to work :)

gearjunkierob
11-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys. Funny how a dog will get more exercise in a smaller kennel - but whatever works. I'll still probably get the 10x12 as the price is right and it will allow for room for another dog, should we have visitors or decide to get another one day. Definately plan to build a little shelter in the kennel on some concrete paving stones and spread pea gravel on the rest to keep the little bugger from digging his way out.

Worse comes to worse if he isn't getting any exercise with the bigger kennel, I can always modify it and make it smaller, or make two runs out of it.

Cheers!

gearjunkierob
11-07-2009, 10:31 PM
just bring him to work :)

I think that's every dog owner's dream....I wish!

gmcgilli66
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys. Funny how a dog will get more exercise in a smaller kennel - but whatever works. I'll still probably get the 10x12 as the price is right and it will allow for room for another dog, should we have visitors or decide to get another one day. Definately plan to build a little shelter in the kennel on some concrete paving stones and spread pea gravel on the rest to keep the little bugger from digging his way out.

Worse comes to worse if he isn't getting any exercise with the bigger kennel, I can always modify it and make it smaller, or make two runs out of it.

Cheers!
A couple of things to think about: pea gravel is not likely to keep a digger from digging out. A friend laid the bottom section of wire in an "L" shape buried about 10" down and extending inward about 2 feet.
He was also told to install a board up the inside of the wire so that the digging pup couldn't see the outside while it was digging.
In my own experience with springers, I had a 4x6 ft frame filled with straw for the dogs to lounge on beside the doghouse, It gave them an option for hot and cold days. They will choose an area away from the house to eliminate, make sure you use some cover that can be cleaned and deodorized. a winter's worth of dog urine isn't fun!!!
Snowy, hot or wet weather is no fun unless you cover in a portion of the run to protect your dog.
Good luck with your new "best buddy"
You have chosen a highly active, energetic breed that will require a lot of exercise daily outside of the cage :mrgreen:

Slime green cat
11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Have you considered an invisible fence ? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0005408&navCount=1&parentId=cat20871&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat603205-cat20871_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20871&rid=

My buddy has that exact model for his lab, and it works great . They learn the boundry real quick and wont ever cross it .... even chasing a cat :mrgreen:

My buddy's dog is so used to it now that the batterys can be dead in the collar for a month and he still doesn't try to leave :mrgreen:
I am sure it would be alot cheaper than building the kennel ? and its portable too .... take it to a cabin or friends house ?

gearjunkierob
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Have you considered an invisible fence ? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0005408&navCount=1&parentId=cat20871&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat603205-cat20871_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20871&rid=

I thought about the invisible fence option but my beagle tends to do what beagles do best - nose down and run. It was suggested to me that the fences probably wouldn't work on dogs that are really focused....I've never used one, so took the salesperson's advice as I'd hate to find out the hard way. The other thing is that we do have wildlife in the yard on a regular basis which whould also tempt him to break that perimeter. I'd love to use an invisible fence if I knew it was going to work as it would give him tons of room to "roam". Does anybody else here have experience with the electronic fences and scent dogs?

Slime green cat
11-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I cant tell you its fool proof cause every dog is different, but my buddy's chocolate lab is pretty nuts and isn't fixed so he has the need and the nose to roam .
He lives in Peachland and has bears and deer in the yard regularly and I dont think it's been a problem .
That dog never leaves the yard ... period .

Sure would be easier than the kennel ... but you know your dog best .

Good luck :)

kinderdoggin
11-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Invisible fence may keep your dog in, but it definitely WON'T keep anything else out. Deer wandering through the yard may not pose a threat but if there are cougars, bears, wolves or stray dogs around he would certainly be safer in a kennel.

~Erin