PDA

View Full Version : White Tail Advice??

Gunner Staal
11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey Gents,

2009 has been a great year. Mulie, Bear and moose all down so far. This is my first big game season out here and Im gonna try for the quad with a whitetail to end the year. Anyone have any tips or suggestions they are willing to share for the Okanagan area. Vernon, Faulkland, Westwold, Kelowna, Lumby, Lavington. Anywhere in that area. Ive never hunted Whiteys around here and dont even know when/where to start. I hate asking and I know some guys dont like to share but I know ive helped alot of fellas out this year and im hoping someone will be willing to return the favour.

Thanks guys. Happy hunting!

sawmill
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
No advice for you.You have got your share and part of mine.:mrgreen:

pete_k
11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Those areas you mentioned are fine. Dont leave your quad un-attended.
All those spots are well illustrated in the Backroad Mapbooks.

Darksith
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
find a field and hang a white towel in the tree then come back the next morning and sit and watch

rocksteady
11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
No pictures and no stories = No advice....

Islandeer
11-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Go to any of the spots you mentioned, and chasem down with the quad.

Gunner Staal
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Wow guys.....thanks for the sarcastic responses and the useless info. Didnt realize that because a fella had some good luck this year that this was a reason to NOT help a fellow hunter out. I personally like to see everyone have success. I guess maybe im crazy? Thanks for the pm's to the guys who actually want to help. There are some good guys on this website and I appreciate the HUNTERS who like to see others have success.

Buckmeister
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I hunt a little further north than those areas. Most whitetail territory is closer to the valley bottoms in the areas you mention. See if you can get permission to hunt a farm (i.e. alfalpha fields) that borders a mountain side and/or crown land. If you are on FSR's, try to not get too high in elevation. P.M also sent.

PGK
11-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Sit in a tree.

sawmill
11-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Wow guys.....thanks for the sarcastic responses and the useless info. Didnt realize that because a fella had some good luck this year that this was a reason to NOT help a fellow hunter out. I personally like to see everyone have success. I guess maybe im crazy? Thanks for the pm's to the guys who actually want to help. There are some good guys on this website and I appreciate the HUNTERS who like to see others have success.

Aw c`mon,we`re just funning you.:mrgreen:I know nothing about that country there but if you ever make it to my neck of the woods I`d be glad to show you around.

Wrayzer
11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Guys think it may still be a bit too early to try a bit of rattling?

ufishifish2
11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I live and hunt the Falkland/Westwold area. Yes, there are small numbers of white-tails in the valley bottoms on private land. Maybe try Yankee Flats FSR, there are some up there. I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.
Mule deer hunting is fine around here, but I go elsewhere for white-tails. Try Cherryville, you can't go wrong there!

rocksteady
11-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Too bad you took it the wrong way...Just funnin you !!!

Saw the picture of your bear but would like to see pics and story of the muley and Moose...

Those areas you mentioned are all good......

Make sure you have good binos and go slow....Whiteys tend to be alot more flighty than mules...

gary murray
11-06-2009, 11:25 PM
They're just playing with you Aaron. Sounds like you had a great season. Are you sure you have enough room in your freezer for a whitetail now? :-D

gary murray
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Guys think it may still be a bit too early to try a bit of rattling?
I agree. They were rutting like crazy in the Christian Valley this time last year. I got back today from there with a small whitetail. Tried rattling with no success. Saw a few does with no bucks in tow and the buck i did get was all by his lonesome.

sawmill
11-07-2009, 05:32 AM
The mulies here are rutting but the whities are usually end of Nov.Just about when the season ends.:cry:

huntwriter
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't understand all the sarcasm. Isn't this site all about helping a novice hunter?

Gunner Staal - This time of year rattling works great for whitetail deer. To make it work set up and how you rattle is crucial to success. Do it right and you'll see bucks. Do it wrong and you'll scare all the deer out of the woods. It would take up to much space here to explain everything pertinent to whitetail deer hunting success so I leave you with a link (http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.com/) to everything you need to know.

If you still have questions after reading the information feel free to ask me.

BTW - Congratulations on your success.