PDA

View Full Version : Princeton/Whipsaw

papaken
11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Took a run up to Princeton yesterday on the spur of the moment. Hoping to get a crack at the wild and elusive 4pt muley bucks and or a bear. Went in Sunday Summit and Whipsaw for some road hunting and hiking. Nothing up Sunday, no fresh sign on the road or back in the bush. There is a few inches of snow up in the Whipsaw. We did not see any game at all. What we did see was an amazing amount of tracks back in on the Lamont side. Deer, elk, moose and coyote. Most all the deer and elk seem to be headed generally towards Princeton. Ran into a couple of other hunters and they had not seen any game either. Just thought I would pass the info on.

weatherby_man
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks, I was thinking of taking a run up there next week for a day or 2.

rattle
11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Me and a buddy were up just outside of Colemount for a 4 day weekend. Saw 15 doe, numours grouse (got 7) and lots of tracks. No bucks or bears though.

PKernohan
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Took a run up to Princeton yesterday on the spur of the moment. Hoping to get a crack at the wild and elusive 4pt muley bucks and or a bear. Went in Sunday Summit and Whipsaw for some road hunting and hiking. Nothing up Sunday, no fresh sign on the road or back in the bush. There is a few inches of snow up in the Whipsaw. We did not see any game at all. What we did see was an amazing amount of tracks back in on the Lamont side. Deer, elk, moose and coyote. Most all the deer and elk seem to be headed generally towards Princeton. Ran into a couple of other hunters and they had not seen any game either. Just thought I would pass the info on.

Where abouts do you go in to get to the lamont side?

30-06
11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
2 k up whipsaw theres a split left for whipsaw right lamonte.
big yellow sign with Lamonte on it

papaken
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Go in the Whipsaw take the main road go to the right at the fork, always called it Lamont side. 32k or so and it joins with the other side (Whipsaw/Granite) go left and it's about 28k back to highway. There is probably a few hundred k of roads back in there, not to mention all the trails and bush that you can hike.

buckwild76
11-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I know what you are up to kernohan let's make a game plan this afternoon.

PKernohan
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
alright sounds good

PKernohan
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
call me whenever and we will get everything arranged.

mr.280
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
It looks like the deer population around Princeton is in a downturn.Not seeing as many as we use to.The high count years were early to mid 2000's. I remember in 2003 we drove into a cut up the Whip and ran into 8 nice bucks in a batchler group in mid Oct.

Manglinmike
11-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Well I spent a couple of days around the Princeton area this season and would say that the deer are doing just fine,I have seen about 15 differet bucks this season and didn't spend that much time at it.The moon is not in your favor right now so you can't jump to conclusions.

MikeH
11-05-2009, 04:08 PM
papaken:
What we did see was an amazing amount of tracks back in on the Lamont side. Deer, elk, moose and coyote. Most all the deer and elk seem to be headed generally towards Princeton.

That's where I'd start, movement is good.

Allen50
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
yea i got it, wink wink, all the tracks are on the other mountian,, good way to keep people out of your spot,, lol lol happy hunting,,

martyonthewater
11-06-2009, 08:35 AM
going to try up china creek area this weekend, got a buddy who has yet to make his first kill. What are the chances of seeing a bruin out there this late in the year? not trying to hijack, but it's a princeton area thread .

papaken
11-06-2009, 11:13 AM
going to try up china creek area this weekend, got a buddy who has yet to make his first kill. What are the chances of seeing a bruin out there this late in the year? not trying to hijack, but it's a princeton area thread .

Bears? That was another thing I was wondering about. We saw no sign of bear at all. Do they move down or have they holed up already?

Hunter22
08-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey guys, do you know anthing about the Colemount area. I have an invite to hunt up in there this year,but don't know the area at all.

papaken
08-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Sorry hunter22 but haven't hunted the Coalmont area. Been a long time since I posted this and for allen50, anytime I post info it is as accurate as I can be. Would not think of BS"ing. Besides Whipsaw ain't exactly a secret honeyhole lol :-)
papaken

fearnodeer
08-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Read the regs Dude GROUSE ARE NOT OPEN YET.

Me and a buddy were up just outside of Colemount for a 4 day weekend. Saw 15 doe, numours grouse (got 7) and lots of tracks. No bucks or bears though.

Trojans16
08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
thanks for the laugh

landphil
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Post was made November 5, 2009, so open season.

Brambles
08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
nothing like raising the dead here boys

Deer_Slayer
10-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Re: bears in wipsaw, lamont area. Was talking to a local hunter and asking about bears because I saw absolutely no sign anywhere of bears...no scat, tracks, NOTHING..and this guy informed me a local "rancher" drives this road every day keeping up on his cattle...and he figured also keeps an eye on the local bears. I hope this is not true what he implied but it is very strange to cover a vast area like this and see no sign whatsoever. I hunted a long time in the Kootenays in many locations and bear scat was always evident.