PDA

View Full Version : Lying treehuggers

Centerfire
11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Thought I would pass on this story:

After getting my PAL and hunting licence inthe spring of this year, I eagerly headed out into the Squamish/Elaho valley for some spring bear hunting. My buddy (who's been hunting for 15 years) and I were driving around up near the 53 mile mark checking out some of the side roads when we came across a couple of youngish folks in their jeep. We stopped and made small talk and they seemed really nice. They could tell we were hunters as I was wearing a blaze orange hat. We could tell they were not hunters. After talking for a number of minutes we went on our way. We saw them again one more time in passing before we headed out at the end of the day and they smiled and waved.

Two days later I get a phone call from the Squamish RCMP. The constable stated that someone reported that my buddy and I had been shooting from within our truck. TOTALLY UNTRUE!! We are both people with a high moral code and strictly abide by the ethics of hunting. In fact, we both have jobs that require us to carry badges.
So I answer all of the constable's questions and explain to him that we had our rifles in the vehicle but with the clips out and that they were lying. He says that I sound like I know what I'm talking about and that he will close the file.

I explain all of this to my buddy and he remembers that the jeep that the people were driving had a "Bear Watch BC" decal in the window.

I guess they felt it was ok to break the law by making a false statement to the police to save a bear during the spring bear season.

Now that complaint will always be on my file. :evil:

Steeleco
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
To bad the LEO likely has too much to do that go arrest those A-holes for waiting his time and yours. I'm sure if you see them again, you can tell them how you really feel!!

solanderdog
11-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I can't find anything to do with "Bear Watch BC" on the web. Is this something new?

Centerfire
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I can't find anything to do with "Bear Watch BC" on the web. Is this something new?

Sorry, I'm not sure if that name is correct. I'm simply going by what my hunting buddy said. You're right, I couldn't find anything under that name either.

However, check out the antihunting tone of this article:
http://www.bearmatters.com/archives/783

Jagermeister
11-04-2009, 11:07 AM
IMO, making a false statement about hunters would constitute a form of harrassment. Contact the officer and ask for the name of the complaintant, then turn the tables on them. Contact the CO and give him the information.

Centerfire
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I contacted the RCMP officer a few days later and told him that I was upset that someone had made a false statement, and he simply said that it was their word against mine and that he had closed the file and would not look into the matter any further. But, like I said, that will always be on file connected to my name. That sucks.

islandboy
11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
IMO, making a false statement about hunters would constitute a form of harrassment. Contact the officer and ask for the name of the complaintant, then turn the tables on them. Contact the CO and give him the information.

Agreed! Good idea to teach them a lesson.

KB90
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
However, check out the antihunting tone of this article:
http://www.bearmatters.com/archives/783

Wow that article actually made me mad.

FLHTCUI
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM

What do you mean this complaint will always be on "my file" ??
Maybe I am missing something from the story, but really you ahve nothing to worry about.
If you where detained by the police for investigation, them maybe you might have a lil black mark on your file as you put it.
Your being a lil bit paranoid if you ask me.
If I where worried about "being known to the police" I wouldnt call 9-11
when I see a drunk driver ( That guy tried to run me off the road cause he was so drunk ) Ooops, I mean allegedly as he hasnt had a court date yet.
Dont worry about it.
It could have been any number of people who filled a false report.
And from my experience in the past , if someone files a complaint and it waarants a phone call from the police the ones on the receiving end of that phone call generally are asked to report to that office for a further question and answer period.
Relax, it aint a big deal.
Now after reading my long winded rant someone from your vehicle was shooting from within your vehicle that my freind is a totaly differant story.
Rob

Centerfire
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
You're probably right. Maybe I am being paronoid.

I never have had any problems with the law and never plan to.

I just find it frustrating when you make sure you are doing everything right and some d@#khead tries to make you out like you're one of the bad guys.

Ciskman
11-04-2009, 12:04 PM
That sucks and is frustruating to hear.

If you havent been charged with anything then I don't believe there should be any"black mark" Why dont you call the police and ask?

abbyfireguy
11-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I would go into the detachment and ask for the officer, if he's not in, ask for the watch commander and explain your concerns and the fact that you are concerned about having any questionable activitey linked to your name. It depends how the officer who was dealing with the file closed it and what details he included from the complainant. If you tell him you can ID the complainant you may get some response.
It really bugs the crap out of me about people like this who waste the police time,it is an offence. Some officers follow up with these false reports, others are just too busy to spend time on these cases as they have other criminal cases piling up waiting for attention.
Its within your rights to ask questions regarding your file .
If you have any problems PM me and I'll ask some questions for you.

seanps
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM

After getting my PAL and hunting licence inthe spring of this year, I eagerly headed out into the Squamish/Elaho valley for some spring bear hunting. My buddy (who's been hunting for 15 years) and I were driving around up near the 53 mile mark checking out some of the side roads when we came across a couple of youngish folks in their jeep. We stopped and made small talk and they seemed really nice. They could tell we were hunters as I was wearing a blaze orange hat. We could tell they were not hunters. After talking for a number of minutes we went on our way. We saw them again one more time in passing before we headed out at the end of the day and they smiled and waved.

I guess they felt it was ok to break the law by making a false statement to the police to save a bear during the spring bear season.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with this.

But, I don't see any reason to think why the young folks you talked to were the ones that reported you. Sounds like you had some nice encounters with them, which is fortunate when you're dealing with the hunter/non-hunter dynamic.

I bump into a lot of cars out there. Maybe you were scoping out another hunter's favourite spot, or mistakenly blocked someone when you were parking, and they submitted a fake report in the hopes that you wouldn't come back.

Centerfire
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
You are absolutely right. I don't have any proof that the two mentioned were the ones that falsly reported, just a strong hunch. I can recall only seeing a couple of other people up there that day. I guess I could ask the police who filed the complaint.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Your hunch is probably right.
They should have the name and contact number of the person who filed the complaint. Get the RCMP to follow up and make sure they ask some hard questions to that person.....more specifically to ask if they are aware that it is a serious offence to make a false statement to a CO or RCMP.

Bear Watch used to exist but disappeared and popped back up as another group.

SSS

pete_k
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM

I totaly agree. File an official complaint against them. Then the police will have to do something.

knockturnal
11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
About 10 years ago, Bear Watch was a huge thing around kelowna. I remember going out hunting with my dad and being stopped in a road block on one of the local logging roads. Road block was set up by the bear watch people and they tried to stop us from going any further up the road. With little to say to them, we drove through the blockade and proceded to shoot a bear a few miles down the road. They were a little pissed when we returned with a nice color phase Winnie the pooh in the box.

hunter1947
11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
When you see the same trehuggers again you should call the RCMP and tell them that the tree huggers are chasing bears all over the place with bear spray :mrgreen:.

KB90
11-04-2009, 04:02 PM
They were a little pissed when we returned with a nice color phase Winnie the pooh in the box.

hahaha thats great

1/2 slam
11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

No it's worse. It's a criminal offence called "Public Mischief". File a complaint. Talk to the watch comander and demand it be followed up.

One Shot
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
No it's worse. It's a criminal offence called "Public Mischief". File a complaint. Talk to the watch comander and demand it be followed up.

Also file a complaint with the Police Complaint Commisioner's office.

huntwriter
11-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Two days later I get a phone call from the Squamish RCMP. The constable stated that someone reported that my buddy and I had been shooting from within our truck. TOTALLY UNTRUE!! We are both people with a high moral code and strictly abide by the ethics of hunting. In fact, we both have jobs that require us to carry badges.
So I answer all of the constable's questions and explain to him that we had our rifles in the vehicle but with the clips out and that they were lying. He says that I sound like I know what I'm talking about and that he will close the file.

I explain all of this to my buddy and he remembers that the jeep that the people were driving had a "Bear Watch BC" decal in the window.

I am not very knowledgeable about the law, but can't you make counter complaint for false accusation or character defamation or something like that to force the police to do something about the lying poss. I wouldn't take that laying down and talk to a legal guy.:evil:

BTW -It's a common tactic of animal rights to get law abiding people into legal trouble. Like reporting farmers for cruelty to animals even if they have to legal grounds. Also something that will stay on record. The tactic is to make life difficult for those that the antis don't like. Time to turn the gobbler around and do the same to them.:evil:

seanps
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Also file a complaint with the Police Complaint
Commisioner's office.

I understand people are upset, but it's probably best to let it go.

Even if you go through the trouble of filing a complaint (this happened more than six months ago, right?) or alleging public mischief, it will eventually come down to your word versus theirs. You can't prove you weren't shooting from your truck, and they can't prove you were. No one will win.

In your case, the police received a complaint, found it to be baseless, and dropped it. I think that by taking any action you'd be committing yourself to a lot of hassle and wouldn't see any reward whatsoever.

Better to use the hours and hours of paperwork, phone calls, in-person meetings, etc., to get out in the woods!

huntwriter
11-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I understand people are upset, but it's probably best to let it go.

Even if you go through the trouble of filing a complaint (this happened more than six months ago, right?) or alleging public mischief, it will eventually come down to your word versus theirs. You can't prove you weren't shooting from your truck, and they can't prove you were. No one will win.

But at least you show the bully that you're not going to take that kind of shit laying down. No you stand up to them. Bullying, that is what this essentially is.

gibblewabble
11-04-2009, 05:55 PM
If we keep letting them pull these stunts we will never be free from it, animal rights activists do this all the time just look at Ontario and their spring bear hunt, gone. We have to stand up for our rights or they are going to disappear.

Jelvis
11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking since the coming world festival in 2010, has some secret undercoverz, checking for sniper's and engaging in talk to see what the people are up to in the province, besides what looks obvious to many uninterested, untrained eyes, and ears. No bodies fault tho it's real.
In the Vancouver north area there will be security already roaming around with gps and sattilite phones and mapping overlays to recognize in an emergency situmickation -- big brother -- lol -- with heat -- wink
Seriously the security started long ago and will be coming out in forces soon in a place between Van and up the corridoors.
Traffic down there will be a matrix of confusion lol -- no thanks
Jel country bumpkin -- too many one way streets for me -- too much HEAT

huntwriter
11-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking since the coming world festival in 2010, has some secret undercoverz, checking for sniper's and engaging in talk to see what the people are up to in the province, besides what looks obvious to many uninterested, untrained eyes, and ears. No bodies fault tho it's real.
In the Vancouver north area there will be security already roaming around with gps and sattilite phones and mapping overlays to recognize in an emergency situmickation -- big brother -- lol -- with heat -- wink
Seriously the security started long ago and will be coming out in forces soon in a place between Van and up the corridoors.
Traffic down there will be a matrix of confusion lol -- no thanks
Jel country bumpkin -- too many one way streets for me -- too much HEAT
...and what has that gibberish of yours to do with been bullied by animal tights. :mrgreen: