PDA

View Full Version : Tagged Out Today - with a good buddy

Bow Walker
11-03-2009, 10:42 PM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Can't seem to wipe this grin off my face. First time that I've tagged out using archery gear - ever.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Nov_03_2009_009.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16029)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Nov_03_2009_024.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16030)

Allen50
11-03-2009, 10:47 PM
cool some nice bucks, i got my only deer this year with a bow as well, congrats,,

mgnm300
11-03-2009, 10:47 PM
good job,,nice bucks too. .

Shooter
11-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice job. I guess they were moving down on your end of the rock today. Good for you. Quite a feat tagging out with archery gear. Nice looking bucks also. The one on the left sure looks like he has quite the "Barrell" to him.

Robinhood
11-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow, now that's impressive! Looks like your good buddy enjoyed it as much as you did -- well done.

Bow Walker
11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah, they were moving today for sure. Every time we spotted a doe or two, there was a buck or two right there sniffing the variety of "musn't touch's".

The one on the left looks big probably because of the little guy sitting on it. The one on the far right had the largest rack, but the one in the middle seemed to have the biggest body - just by a tad.

We've got our work lined up for us - gutting (done), skinning, and then I've got to cut them into "steaks, roasts, and chops..plus burger. Looking forward to it.

Caveman
11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Nice Job Boys! Some great eating there for sure.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Nice ....Congrats old buddy (I stress the word "Old" :) )

I however am still chasing ...Been after him since day one ....had a few shots at him if I had my rifle ... but where is the fun in that? ...managed to draw on him once but the shot never really felt right, so a let down was in order.

I have never spent a whole hunting season chasing one buck that I picked out in the summer ...I did once but got a shot at him opening day and cleanly harvested him.... This is the most fun I have had in a long time and If i do get him it would be my most cherished harvest ...if not then so be it

Looks like alot of Brown Smiles are on the island .... thats awesome BW

Shooter
11-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Last year we had a triple header (between 3 of us). It is definately a lot of work after the fact. Not like a moose but when you go moose hunting you are expecting the work. You don't really expect that much meat to deal with when you go out for deer here on the Island.

Bow Walker
11-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Lest I am unclear here - two of the critters belong to Steve, one (the middle one) is mine. I scored on a buck back in September.

Steve made a great shot on his second one - steep downward angle and yet a clean double lung kill where the animal only went approx. 60 to 70 yards before piling up.

The other two were also double lung kills and the animals were down within 8 - 10 seconds after being hit. Both went less than 50 yards. The cleanest, quickest kills that I've had the pleasure to be involved in.

Some BBQ roasts and some sausages (smoked and fresh) coming up!

shaner338
11-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice bucks! Congrats to you and your buddy!!

J_T
11-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow, looks like it was a great day. Those kind of days don't come along every year.

tomahawk
11-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Awesome................

huntwriter
11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Great! Congratulations to you first bowkill. Nothing like seeing a bunch of bucks piled up in a heap.

J_T
11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Bow Walker, Do I see the entry hole on the left most and middle deer? I'm curious, what range they were taken at, angle of the shot and how far the animal went.

Always looking for that perfect shot placement. Thanks.

bochunk2000
11-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Bow Walker, Do I see the entry hole on the left most and middle deer? I'm curious, what range they were taken at, angle of the shot and how far the animal went.

JT I can Answer those Questions for ya as two of them were mine. The first buck down was the one on the right. I spotted him and we moved towards where he was. I saw the doe and he was not leaving her although it looked like he thought about it before his "Johnson" told him not to. He was out at 38 yrds and looking at me over his rump. I moved off the the side to get a better angle and moved up to about 30 yrds. I gave him a grunt when he looked away and he turned broadside to look at me. I was at full draw with the grunt so I lined up and Aced him right in the crease. He started to run and about 30yrds in his back legs start to wobble. He went down shortly after and didn't get up. Wow went down in sight awesome. Well just then Another buck charges out of the bush and stands over the dead one. He was posturing and almost with a "F" you attitude. I asked Dan if he had his second tag as I was getting My range finder out. Ranged him at 35 yrds and again at 30 as I moved a bit closer. Dan let fly on a broadside shot. Admittedly a bit high and back for how he normally likes it but effective none the less. This buck looped around where were and died within sight also. Holy crap are you kidding me a double header and they both drop in sight. With archery tackle. We were pretty happy. Well off to the Hunting shop back in town. Get another tag and out again as they seem to be moving. Dan is done and its my turn again. We we spot another Doe and one feeding off behind it. A quick look with the binos puts antlers on his head and a plan in action. The wind isn't good so we pull out the radios and Dan keeps an eye on him while I set off around a hill to get him from the other side. Well during my trek the does moved off and Dan directed me to them. I came around the hill and I was quite a bit above them. Couldn't find the Buck. I waited watching the does for a while and he came out of the bushes heading towards them. I have the ARC system in my new range finder and I was happy to put it to the test. Ranged the buck at 39 yrds. The calculation it did said shoot 34. I never thought reading those shot placement articles about treestanding whitetails would come in handy but... I concentrated on the exit hole being right it the bottom of the far "crease." This put my entry way high but this is what I learned to do. I let the arrow fly. Wow what a jump. Musta scared the Pellets right out of him. He launched into a dead run after he landed.(scuse the pun). A short 15 min wait and I started the trail. With Dan and the kids right behind. Really good sign led me to skip the 30 min wait I normally give them. He was piled up about 80 yrds in give or take. Turns out the arrow took out the top of the near lung and the bottom of the far one. 3 bucks down to archery gear with 3 near textbook shots makes me proud of the practice we do. I am on cloud nine.
Sorry for the long story.
Steve

Bow Walker
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Great! Congratulations to you first bowkill. Nothing like seeing a bunch of bucks piled up in a heap.
Thanks - but it's not my first......

J_T - the deer on the far left is the one that was shot from above...and a helluva shot it was too. Lungs (both) and out the bottom. The deer went less than 70 yards before expiring.

The middle one is the exit hole. It was shot at under 35 yards and the arrow caught both lungs - it ran in a circle and died behind us, 20 yards away.

I'm always concious of the anatomy and where the bones of the animal are before I shoot. I've been a meatcutter for more than 35 years. It's just second nature now.

Ron.C
11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Steve/Dan

nice herd of bucks you got yourselves. Sure is one hell of a big smile on that boys face.

Great job

BowSitter
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Steve, that sounds like a great day, Congrats to you and Dan.
Dan next year you can try with that new "trad" bow you are getting.
Congrats again......Ron

Bow Walker
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
How many sleeps until next season?!?........

I just can't get this "schit-eatin-grin" off my face. This doesn't happen on a regular basis by any means. I'm glad to have experienced it with a good hunting buddy like Steve.

J_T
11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Great story. Thanks. I thought the buck on the left was shot from above and the centre buck was quartering slightly away. Couldn't tell on the right buck.

I also figured, they all must have gone down in sight, cause it didn't appear that you did much tracking. And that, is awesome in a bow kill. Recovery is everything in the archery kill.

Congrats again.

Bow Walker: You don't have to walk around on auto pilot until next year, you can head up to region 8 or 4 and enjoy the late season.

nomad
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Congrats to both of you! Nice Bucks! Thanks for posting the story details too! Can't wait to get back out with the recurve now!

huntwriter
11-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks - but it's not my first......

Sorry my bad. That first line "First time that I've tagged out using archery gear - ever." gave me the impression that it had been your first bow kill ever.:-D

Bow Walker
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Congrats to both of you! Nice Bucks! Thanks for posting the story details too! Can't wait to get back out with the recurve now!
Thanks.

I'm going to be practiucing with a longbow over the winter, spring and summer. Who knows what next year has in store, eh?:-D

Johnnybear
11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Congrats on the great bucks guys. BW you need to extend your stories to go along with the photo's dude:-D. Bochunk wrapped it up for ya:mrgreen:. Great hunt and great photos guys!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Awesome stuff for sure.

Nails
11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
great story and congratulations to both of you

Kudu
11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Great Pics - awesome hunting - what heads where you guys using as a matter of interest?

Bow Walker
11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Congrats on the great bucks guys. BW you need to extend your stories to go along with the photo's dude:-D. Bochunk wrapped it up for ya:mrgreen:. Great hunt and great photos guys!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Awesome stuff for sure.
I wanted Steve to post up the story - I just shot one of the three...

I won't be forgetting this for a long, long time. You can be sure of that!

Great Pics - awesome hunting - what heads where you guys using as a matter of interest?
Bochunk (he's gotta change his handle...he's lost a whole bunch of weight) uses Muzzy's and I use Slicktricks.

bowx4
11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Danny boy good shooting, i missed a monster the other day, an easy shot, just screwed up.....mass

pupper
11-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Wow, good job bowwalker, that is quite the feat.

MikeH
11-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Congrats on the deer it's awesome when it all comes together.:mrgreen:

Bearen 09
11-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Thats awesome. I wish i lived in a place were i could were a teeshirt and still have green grass everywere. Great job on the stick kills. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bow Walker
11-07-2009, 08:11 PM
It all seemed to come together that afternoon, for some reason, the weather - the rut - the doe sightings w/ the bucks right there - and, most of all, being able to get close enough to arrow them. If the skies were a bit clearer I'd be out there thanking my lucky stars.

Big Lew
11-08-2009, 10:02 AM
JT I can Answer those Questions for ya as two of them were mine. The first buck down was the one on the right. I spotted him and we moved towards where he was. I saw the doe and he was not leaving her although it looked like he thought about it before his "Johnson" told him not to. He was out at 38 yrds and looking at me over his rump. I moved off the the side to get a better angle and moved up to about 30 yrds. I gave him a grunt when he looked away and he turned broadside to look at me. I was at full draw with the grunt so I lined up and Aced him right in the crease. He started to run and about 30yrds in his back legs start to wobble. He went down shortly after and didn't get up. Wow went down in sight awesome. Well just then Another buck charges out of the bush and stands over the dead one. He was posturing and almost with a "F" you attitude. I asked Dan if he had his second tag as I was getting My range finder out. Ranged him at 35 yrds and again at 30 as I moved a bit closer. Dan let fly on a broadside shot. Admittedly a bit high and back for how he normally likes it but effective none the less. This buck looped around where were and died within sight also. Holy crap are you kidding me a double header and they both drop in sight. With archery tackle. We were pretty happy. Well off to the Hunting shop back in town. Get another tag and out again as they seem to be moving. Dan is done and its my turn again. We we spot another Doe and one feeding off behind it. A quick look with the binos puts antlers on his head and a plan in action. The wind isn't good so we pull out the radios and Dan keeps an eye on him while I set off around a hill to get him from the other side. Well during my trek the does moved off and Dan directed me to them. I came around the hill and I was quite a bit above them. Couldn't find the Buck. I waited watching the does for a while and he came out of the bushes heading towards them. I have the ARC system in my new range finder and I was happy to put it to the test. Ranged the buck at 39 yrds. The calculation it did said shoot 34. I never thought reading those shot placement articles about treestanding whitetails would come in handy but... I concentrated on the exit hole being right it the bottom of the far "crease." This put my entry way high but this is what I learned to do. I let the arrow fly. Wow what a jump. Musta scared the Pellets right out of him. He launched into a dead run after he landed.(scuse the pun). A short 15 min wait and I started the trail. With Dan and the kids right behind. Really good sign led me to skip the 30 min wait I normally give them. He was piled up about 80 yrds in give or take. Turns out the arrow took out the top of the near lung and the bottom of the far one. 3 bucks down to archery gear with 3 near textbook shots makes me proud of the practice we do. I am on cloud nine.
Sorry for the long story.
Steve
Sorry? What for? It's a great story! Congratulations to both you and Dan, you'll remember this sequence of events together forever!

Bow Walker
11-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry? What for? It's a great story! Congratulations to both you and Dan, you'll remember this sequence of events together forever!
Together?!? Together!?! :eek:

Well, OK......but in a brotherly sort of way.:tongue::mrgreen::tongue:

Hard to find hunting buddy(s) like him, that's true.

Big Lew
11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Together?!? Together!?! :eek:

Well, OK......but in a brotherly sort of way.:tongue::mrgreen::tongue:

Hard to find hunting buddy(s) like him, that's true.
Opps! should have said...You'll both remember this hunt forever!

The Hermit
11-12-2009, 10:56 PM
How did I miss this thread??? Steve and Dan way to go boys!!!! Thats awesome! I haven't been dong the Sooke/JR thing for a few years maybe its time I got out there again! Haven't seen anything other than does and glimpses at a spike or two this year... well I did chase a couple last weekend and Trevor got them!

Buck_virgin
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
nice bucks....congrats!!!