PDA

View Full Version : hunting with a sled

dino
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Anyone out there ever hunted deer with a sled because snow was to deep for a 4x4? Im not hunting off the sled just thinking about using it for access reasons . Winter has come early to some areas .

killman
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
illegal to use a snowmobile for anything to do with hunting. Theres a post from a few days ago if you scroll back. It should give you the info.

Wrong:confused:

squamishmiles
11-03-2009, 10:47 PM
if u use a quad, u can use a sled

MuleyMadness
11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
illegal to use a snowmobile for anything to do with hunting. Theres a post from a few days ago if you scroll back. It should give you the info.

This is flat out wrong...there are access restrictions on certain areas for sleds, just as there are for ATVs and regular vehicles. You just need to check the regs for your area and they will lay out any area specific restrictions for snowmobile use. Read them carefully, one of my friends, who is a very ethical hunter, got snagged by these last year because he misunderstood them...cost him his cougar and $400 bucks, and didn't cost more only because the CO believed, rightfully so, that he believed he was operating within the law, and the reg for the area in question wasn't as specific as possible...otherwise it was gonna be no hunting for a couple of years.

Pioneerman
11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I use my atv with tracks they go anywhere you would take a sled and more, plus you can pack a lot more too, and quieter also. i have been out in a couple feet of snow and rode up high to the timber where there is over 3 feet of snow and seen tons of tracks inside the timber where there is less than a foot of snow, some big ones don't come down until they absolutely have to

Laurence_Erickson
11-03-2009, 11:43 PM
This is flat out wrong...there are access restrictions on certain areas for sleds, just as there are for ATVs and regular vehicles. You just need to check the regs for your area and they will lay out any area specific restrictions for snowmobile use. Read them carefully, one of my friends, who is a very ethical hunter, got snagged by these last year because he misunderstood them...cost him his cougar and $400 bucks, and didn't cost more only because the CO believed, rightfully so, that he believed he was operating within the law, and the reg for the area in question wasn't as specific as possible...otherwise it was gonna be no hunting for a couple of years.
was he in 3-28 by any chance??

KB90
11-04-2009, 01:25 AM
my mistake. :) I jumped to conclusions from Killmans post in the other thread.

Quote:

Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed

Areas:
The operation of snowmobiles

for the purpose of hunting, to transport
wildlife, to transport firearms or equipment
and supplies which are intended
for or in support of hunting, or to transport
hunters to and from the location
of wildlife is prohibited in these areas.
MUs 7-2 to 7-18, 7-23 to 7-30,
7-37 to 7-39

▼ from Mar. 31 to Nov. 30.

dino
11-04-2009, 07:09 AM
so is there anyone out there that uses a sled?

Dirty
11-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I have heard of lots of guys using sleds for late season high elevation Muley bucks. I believe it is a gamble though. The animals have better instincts than us. Some seasons they are still up high, other seasons they have already boogied out of there. During freak snowstorms, with +20" of snow, it would be nice to have a sled in the arsenal. Cut some fresh tracks and then hoof it on 'shoes.

dino
11-04-2009, 07:19 AM
sorry guys I just found the other thread. It doesnt seem that to many guys have used them for deer.

MadCat
11-04-2009, 07:24 AM
make sure that your not using one in region 4 for hunting between april to nov 30. You will be getting in big trouble for that. That means quads with tracks too.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
make sure that your not using one in region 4 for hunting between april to nov 30. You will be getting in big trouble for that. That means quads with tracks too.

Never used to ..unless things have changed in the last yr.

See definition of a snowmobile.

Needs one or more skis.
From pg 5 of the hunting regs........

"Snowmobile

- means a vehicle designed

primarily for travel on snow or ice, having one
or more steering skis, self propelled and using
one or more endless belts or tracks driven in
contact with the ground"

And here's the region-wide restriction....

(3) Region-wide Snowmobiles for Hunting
Closed Area: The use of snowmobiles to hunt,
to transport wildlife, or to transport hunters
to or from the location of wildlife is prohibited
in the entire Kootenay Region during the
period Apr. 1-Nov. 30. An authorized trapper is
exempt from this prohibition with respect to
the trapping of furbearing animals.

SSS