PDA

View Full Version : How to Hunt the Rut, Rattling, Glassing

snareman1234
11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
This year I would like to try my luck at a 4pt, up to this point I have only hunted "bucks" season

So my question is how do you guys go about approaching the 4pt season. I like to hike, and get into bush with open meadows,

I have a pair of rattling antlers I made, and I have a grunt tube
anyone use these?

how about scents? like tinks 69 or other do urine type scent.

Thanks

300H&H
11-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Give it all a try.
I like Tinks 69 myself and have had some success with it.
Rattling does work, AT THE RIGHT TIME.
I rely on my voice as a grunt call. Ive not had alot of luck with the grunt tubes. They can freeze up.

d6dan
11-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Get yourself a doe bleat call. such as a Primos estrus bleat call. works good on these blacktails. use your rattle antlers to scrape trees, rip up brush etc. most importantly, conceal yourself and watch the wind...

sarnold
11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
i grunted in a monster last weekend
grunting worked great

ufishifish2
11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I went for a hike yeterday. I found a cool pair of sheds lying together in a pile. I thought that was pretty lucky to find them lying together like that, and they were really palmated (looked more like a moose). Anyways, I picked them up, and within 50m I spooked up a descent 4X5 muley. He was leaving fast so I grabbed the antlers and started rattling them. That stopped him. About 1 minute later I started scraping a small Pine with the sheds I had just picked up. Over the next 10 minutes, I scraped the Pine tree once in a while. He came in from about 250m to about 50m. It is the first time I have used antlers on a Mule Deer. I don't claim to know much about it, but it sure seemed to work this time. He's now hanging in my shed. Happy times!!!
Ufish

BuriedByTheDead
11-04-2009, 03:46 PM
i would watch over an area where you know theres deer cuz hte big ones get stupid and dont think...it was about 15 years ago my dad shot a 194 scored buck it was walking with its head down and its tongue out in the middle of a field

knockturnal
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Find the does.