PDA

View Full Version : if hunting for the day.... what is the average amount of time from walk to walk

husky30-06
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey guys and gals..... I do a lot of walking during a day hunt but do return to my truck for lunch and to meet up with the others. what is your average time/miledge for each hunt? and how many trips during the day?
JUST CURIOUS;);)

twoSevenO
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
umm just to add to this. If you're walking through the woods, how often do you sit and wait, then continue walking, then sit again etc. And how long do you sit for before moving on, if you see no animals.... 30 min? 1hr? 1.5hrs?

gibblewabble
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I usually walk five minutes and glass for a while when in a block or clearing, when on a road I walk for a minute or so then glass or look around for a minute. If I find an area with lots of traffic I move off 50 yards or so and watch or rattle or break branches. I am always on the move between 10 and 2 (October and November), I believe deer pattern hunters and take a snack with the majority of hunters taking a break in the middle of the day. I have shot over half of my deer between 11 and 1, when the bush is empty of hunters. If I can only get out for a few hours I do it around lunch.
But most importantly what I do depends on what I see when I am out because it changes from day to day, especially later in the season when weather really starts to play a role. Always hunt the sign and it takes years to be able to put the puzzle together regularly.

gibblewabble
11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
umm just to add to this. If you're walking through the woods, how often do you sit and wait, then continue walking, then sit again etc. And how long do you sit for before moving on, if you see no animals.... 30 min? 1hr? 1.5hrs?
If I see lots of animals I wait it out and sit lots, if I dont see much I start to move cause chances are the deer arent. If they are bedded down and you are sitting you arent going to see much.

Jelvis
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I just walk in slow cuz the hill is steep and snow it's slippery, when I get to the first rim, I slow and look for fresh big tracks and follow til I see some action - all depends on conditions also and timing with who ever you hunt with - and luck is good to have also- I like fresh snow from yesterday evening and then read the trails the deer make and go after -
Walk to the edges look over on the ledges below. Just enjoy following a big track to see where he likes to walk -
Jel - good luck hunter - I go two hours or 3 first in morning and if energy and time two and a half in afternoon with a small break at the truck meeting place between those -

gamer
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
My average hike is three hours. Longer if I sit and wait at a clearing.

mark
11-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Ive been out hiking all day long, lots of rests and glassing time.
Why return to the truck????
I pack a lunch and just go all day long!
Paying off, seeing tons of game, lots of nice bucks every day!
They are out there folks!

husky30-06
11-02-2009, 09:54 PM
NICE..... good to hear that others like the long hikes. my best and longest is about 4 hours and 16 kms.... many times when I come on a good track and fairly fresh I will walk it and see where it might go. if a VERY fresh track....... no stops, moving all the time. I hate to sit to long, very boring, I like to get them moving!!!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

dime
11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
On the first 3-4 days of a week long hunt I am hiking most of the time. For the last couple of days I am doing more road hunting as I am just too tired to keep up the activity for the entire trip. It also depends on if I get a deer early I tend to road hunt more after I am tagged out, looking more for grouse.

hunter1947
11-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Mine is about 6k a day when hunting for elk.

john-brennan
11-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Ive been out hiking all day long, lots of rests and glassing time.
Why return to the truck????
I pack a lunch and just go all day long!
Paying off, seeing tons of game, lots of nice bucks every day!
They are out there folks!

X2 I move 20-30 feet sometimes then glass till I have checked out every nook and cranny, it all depends on the country you are hunting. Take a lunch.

proguide66
11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Last 3 weeks of Nov I hunt from dark to dark......truck or quad doesnt see my ass in between. As far as distance goes , N/A ( everyones spots are different). The deer are moving 24-7....I try and do what the bucks do all day long- look for does and stay with them when I find em...the days are shorter , less hunting time. Key to lasting all day with enthusiasm is snacks and water spread out over the day....two large gatoraids and about 10 ' bars' seems to work for me.

Akula
11-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Still hunt at first light, then hike and glass the general area depending on weather. Snack and quick breaks throughout the hike, look for a good spot to still hunt at dusk.

Squamch
11-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I'll walk until my partner starts whining usually.
I like to drive in early, walk in so I'm sitting at a predetermined spot at first light, sit there for an hour or two, then go for a good hike, 3-4 hours. Sometimes I bring lunch, sometimes it's back to the truck for lunch...then hike again until I find a good spot for the evening sit.

Wild one
11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
It all depends if the area holds good sign odds are I will not be back to my truck till dark. If the area looks like a waste of time maybe a 1/2 hour I never know.

GoatGuy
11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
How long does it take to get out of the truck and get rid of the coffee that's been pushed through the kidneys a couple times/day?

Cup of timmy ho's, window down, heater on full blast.

Jelvis
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I know as the snow comes and stays on the ground down low and starts to get a foot deep the deer are down -- a foot deep just off the valley --
That's when I can hunt all day, hey the days are short, up at 6, and back at 6, including driving, and stopping for coffee to go.
When my legs get tired, I walk on my hands, and carry my Husqvarna from my boot straps. It's all good my arms get a good work out that way.
Good luck and use all of your abilities to get that buck.
Jel -- walking on my hands -- pretty quiet and closer view of the buck tracks - get strong leather glove$ 4 that --

cainer
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Depends on the weather for me-I'm usually a first light til last light guy, but if the wool gets soaked-I head back early.
I like to know where I'm going at first and last light, and glass a lot in the edges of cut blocks. I start to put on the miles in the afternoon exploring new area or having a nap under a tree.
You'd be surprised how many deer i've woken up to and seen within a few hundred yards of where I've been napping.
I usually rub some branches with the antlers while I'm having lunch to cover the sounds of eating. Water, food and something water proof to sit on and I'm usually good for the day.

RiverOtter
11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I generally pack for the day, as I hate walking back to the truck midday if I'm in a good area or want to go further and check out new ground. If I don't like the area I'm in, I'll walk back to the truck/quad and head into another area and do the same thing.