PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region Proposed Hunting regulation changes

PeaceRegionInfo
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Hunters have an opportunity to review and provide input toward changes in the hunting regulations and access managment areas for the Peace Region. Changes currently under consideration, if approved, will be effective and appear in the 2010-2011 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis. Your comments are welcomed and will be carefully considered as we finalize the regulations. Proposals for regulation changes result from requests by Rod and Gun Clubs, other non-government organizations, and the public at large. Others are developed by Ministry of Environment staff from technical studies of trends in wildlife populations and hunter use and success in the region.
The document Peace Region Wildlife Regulations Proposed Changes for Comment (2010-2011) includes some background to assist you in understanding the rationale for each regulation change proposal.
Please follow the link below to review the proposed changes and submit comments:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/peace/wld/proposed_changes.html

KB90
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
The link is no good

BCrams
11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Link does not work.

I hope removing the whitetailed deer point restriction is among the proposed changes.

leadpillproductions
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
i hope they extend the elk season up north stupid 10 day season sucks

BCrams
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
i hope they extend the elk season up north stupid 10 day season sucks

In particular the Kechika / Turnagain / Gataga area.

KB90
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
The link is now working

leadpillproductions
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
still dont work for me . what the hell

PeaceRegionInfo
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Standby. We're experiencing some technical difficulties.

gameslayer
11-02-2009, 01:17 PM
just tried link it did not work for me yet ???

ThinAir
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
too bad this wasn't available a few years back.

leadpillproductions
11-02-2009, 01:26 PM
is the link working for you guys not just meeeeeeeeee

RiverBoatFantasy
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Patience Grasshopper.

Creeker
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
There is a d after the www?? In the link, I wonder if this was the problem. After removed It seemed to link to their server but still wouldnt show info.

ape
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Lots of stuff they are doing. Opening a lot of no hunting areas from before. Removing the no shooting areas around the mines at Tumbler etc. Remove the d in the link. It comes up as WWWD.blalblah. The link will then work.

hillclimber
11-02-2009, 04:10 PM
this link worked for me

leadpillproductions
11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
this link worked for me

man thanks alot it worked

lunatic
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I like the idea of opening up the hunting in the community pastures and around the closed minesites. Lots of good elk hunting in those areas.

leadpillproductions
11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
what about the west toad rd where is that from the cafe ????

PGK
11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Nothing wrong there!

bridger
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
this link is now working

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/peace/wld/proposed_changes.html (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/peace/wld/proposed_changes.html)

pappy
11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I think all the changes are going to help us so I'm for them.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
sounds good to me better chances to get elk in 7-44!!! and more hunt dates for bison!!! all good:p

willy442
11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
what about the west toad rd where is that from the cafe ????

The route they are talking about is North of the cafe. It is funny they are opening this as it really is a route to no where. There was a mining trail cut here many years ago and it has really grown up with willows to the point of pretty much being impassable other than to horses. The trail as they have it will dead end at the West Toad River crossing which is where the native band is. Probably just something to show the resident they are giving more access out. If you've been there you'll see its pretty much a nothing.

bridger
11-02-2009, 11:36 PM
the hunt changes for bison are very positive but would like to see a bison gos season in the nevis creek and besa river drainages to keep the bison out of this area. also would like to see changes to the toad river elk season ie longer than 10 days. the increased opportunities to harvest elk in the ag zones needs to be looked at serioulsy from a conservation point of view. pressure from the ranching community is forcing the moe to extend seasons that are designed to drastically reduce the elk numbers to a bare minimum like they did in the kootenay's a few years ago and are not sustainable. this is going to lead to leh or drastically reduced opportunities in the near future.

BCrams
11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Bridger -

What about the Kechika / Turnagain / Gataga / Liard elk season?

What about the point restriction on Whitetailed deer?

I agree with the open season on Bison for the Nevis / Besa. Perhaps they should set up a GOS zone surrounding the LEH area.

PGK
11-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Bridger -

What about the Kechika / Turnagain / Gataga / Liard elk season?

I agree with the open season on Bison for the Nevis / Besa. Perhaps they should set up a GOS zone surrounding the LEH area.

Not enough informed hunters complaining. Everyone I talk to is of the mentality that more elk up there are good. They can't understand sheep elk competition.

I can't figure why the WT change hasn't been made either

Glassman
11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Open up deer on Sept 1 for youth and Sept 10 for everyone else in the ag land like 7-20 Zone A and start the antlerless elk on Sept 1 like they did with the 3 point bull elk.
That might encourage more hunters to travel north and support the busineses up there, rather than going to the kootneys. In other words "Spread the wealth", so to speak.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2009, 04:37 AM

IMO-that whitetail reg has to be THEE dumbest reg in the entire province:-?.

Are there any antler restrictions on whitetails anywhere else in N America????

SSS

bridger
11-03-2009, 07:48 AM
tie the can to my tail for the 4 pt whitetail season which I am hoping will come off in 2010. several years ago when the moe changed the mule deer bag limit in 7b to one 4 point buck every two years (which turned out to be the dumbest reg every imo) the whitetail population was just getting well established. the regional committee felt that the reduced bag limit for mule deer would put a lot of pressure on the young whitetail bucks and suggested the 4pt whitetail season. the wt's are well enough estabished now to take that reg out and I believe it is in the works for 2010 across the province. will know more in a couple of weeks and will post.

lunatic
11-03-2009, 08:19 AM
the hunt changes for bison are very positive but would like to see a bison gos season in the nevis creek and besa river drainages to keep the bison out of this area. also would like to see changes to the toad river elk season ie longer than 10 days. the increased opportunities to harvest elk in the ag zones needs to be looked at serioulsy from a conservation point of view. pressure from the ranching community is forcing the moe to extend seasons that are designed to drastically reduce the elk numbers to a bare minimum like they did in the kootenay's a few years ago and are not sustainable. this is going to lead to leh or drastically reduced opportunities in the near future.

Couldn't agree more about the elk. If they have another season for 3 pt and antlerless in the ag zone, I think it will have a huge impact on elk numbers. Three years in a row and a long seaon is too much. If the number of elk i've seen and heard about coming out of the ag zone is any indication, they will be taking drastic measures again in a couple of years......and I don't mean ones that we will like! I can see a strictly 6pt only season in the near future again. I really don't understand why they didn't open the 3 pt + season for say the first 2 weeks, then go to 6 pt for the remainder of the season the way it used to be.

RiverBoatFantasy
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
I have never been a supporter of the long ag zone seasons. I agree it will lead to a serious population decline. I know of many, many persons that have been shooting cow elk during the Dec - Feb seasons.

BCrams
11-03-2009, 10:06 AM
SSS -

Indeed that whitetailed deer point restriction is the dumbest thing ever implemented in the Peace.

The very nature of whitetailed deer habits and habitat makes it nearly impossible to over hunt or over harvest them.

leadpillproductions
11-03-2009, 10:09 AM
I really dont see a problem with the antler restriction for whitetail who wants to shoot a little 3 point i like the rule it has to be a 4 point i wish they would have left the 4 point mulie rule too

J_T
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Hate to sound ignorant, but I can't get the link to come up on IE 8 or Firefox. WTF?

BCrams
11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I really dont see a problem with the antler restriction for whitetail who wants to shoot a little 3 point i like the rule it has to be a 4 point i wish they would have left the 4 point mulie rule too

This is the kind of mentality which will be the downfall of hunters (shooting themselves in the foot so to speak).

You do not need the point restriction to hunt and get a big whitetailed buck in the Peace. A good friend of mine took a 185 net whitey from the Peace and you did not have the point restriction in place for that buck to get big.

You should know you can hold out for a big whitetailed buck without the need for point restrictions on them. (the Peace is pretty much the only jurisdiction in North America with a point restriction on whiteys and the ones that have experimented with it have found to have detrimental effects of point restrictions versus no point restrictions).

If point restrictions were all that great for whiteys, you would have seen places like Saskatchewan, Alberta and some southern States like Kansas having those point restrictions on whitetailed deer.

The point is, the habitat preference, and behaviour of whitetailed deer makes having point restrictions quite moot.

leadpillproductions
11-03-2009, 10:43 AM
This is the kind of mentality which will be the downfall of hunters (shooting themselves in the foot so to speak).

You do not need the point restriction to hunt and get a big whitetailed buck in the Peace. A good friend of mine took a 185 net whitey from the Peace and you did not have the point restriction in place for that buck to get big.

You should know you can hold out for a big whitetailed buck without the need for point restrictions on them. (the Peace is pretty much the only jurisdiction in North America with a point restriction on whiteys and the ones that have experimented with it have found to have detrimental effects of point restrictions versus no point restrictions).

If point restrictions were all that great for whiteys, you would have seen places like Saskatchewan, Alberta and some southern States like Kansas having those point restrictions on whitetailed deer.

The point is, the habitat preference, and behaviour of whitetailed deer makes having point restrictions quite moot.

I personaly think it just gives the deer a chance to grow up thats all
also i guess you have a problem with all the other antler restrictions elk ,moose hmmmmm

BCrams
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
[quote=leadpillproductions;543900]I personaly think it just gives the deer a chance to grow up thats all

I'm guessing you really don't know much about whitetailed deer habits and habitat. More mature record class whitetailed bucks die of old age than get shot. They get plenty of opportunity to grow.

[quote]also i guess you have a problem with all the other antler restrictions elk ,moose hmmmmm

Yes, I do have a problem with antler restrictions where they are not warranted nor required.

Don't get me wrong, after filling my freezer with venision, I like to hunt for large deer and I can safely say, you do not need point restrictions to find big bucks. It is known point restrictions do not create more or bigger bucks / bulls.

While I like to hunt and put forth an effort for large deer, I also realize and know the majority of hunters are not like that and I do not want to put my 'trophy hunting' ideals ahead of those interests.

I know I can still hunt for and be selective for larger bucks should I choose to do so but I do not want to limit / nor diminish another hunters opportunity to harvest a smaller buck because he has to hold out for a 4 point whitetailed deer.

bridger
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
see my earlier post on this subject on this thread and you will know why the 4 pt whitetail season was put in place. right or wrong.

SSS -

Indeed that whitetailed deer point restriction is the dumbest thing ever implemented in the Peace.

The very nature of whitetailed deer habits and habitat makes it nearly impossible to over hunt or over harvest them.

BCrams
11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
the regional committee felt that the reduced bag limit for mule deer would put a lot of pressure on the young whitetail bucks and suggested the 4pt whitetail season. the wt's are well enough estabished now to take that reg out and I believe it is in the works for 2010 across the province.

I did see it and knew about it from the get go, but I still felt it was not necessary to put the point restriction on whitetailed deer.

Given the very nature of 'why' the point restriction was put in, do the Guide Outfitters agree with the removal given the population is well established as you put it???

PGK
11-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I have never been a supporter of the long ag zone seasons. I agree it will lead to a serious population decline. I know of many, many persons that have been shooting cow elk during the Dec - Feb seasons.

That's what the peace needs 8) Less elk.

PeaceHunter
11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Open up deer on Sept 1 for youth and Sept 10 for everyone else in the ag land like 7-20 Zone A and start the antlerless elk on Sept 1 like they did with the 3 point bull elk.
That might encourage more hunters to travel north and support the busineses up there, rather than going to the kootneys. In other words "Spread the wealth", so to speak.

Thanks, but we have enough of the "wealth" up here already during moose and elk season, many locals don't even go out any more because there are just too many people in the bush. It gets down right dangerous out there !

I am in favour of opening up the community pastures, I have been hoping for that for a long time. Extending the boundaries of the 7-20A zone is good too, these two measures should spread the hunters around a bit more and make some areas less congested.

I would suggest changing the regulations for moose, the two week GOS at the end of August is rediculous, more inexperienced hunters have thier animal spoil on them than I care to think about, and has anybody ever really tried to count ten points on a moose antler? Whoever thought that one up has obviously never hunted!

leadpillproductions
11-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks, but we have enough of the "wealth" up here already during moose and elk season, many locals don't even go out any more because there are just too many people in the bush. It gets down right dangerous out there !

I am in favour of opening up the community pastures, I have been hoping for that for a long time. Extending the boundaries of the 7-20A zone is good too, these two measures should spread the hunters around a bit more and make some areas less congested.

I would suggest changing the regulations for moose, the two week GOS at the end of August is rediculous, more inexperienced hunters have thier animal spoil on them than I care to think about, and has anybody ever really tried to count ten points on a moose antler? Whoever thought that one up has obviously never hunted!

I agree with you 100% its sickning when you cant go out and not seeing a ton of people, just look at del rio i wont even attempt to go out there .
I dont have a promblem with all the out of region people hunting up here , the two week any bull not a great idea . people loose the meat ect

Sawbuck
11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Interesting that they want to change the access on the West Toad Trail - if they make the change as proposed then the poor resident will not be able to camp past the outfitters camp with a pick-up as it will be over the weight restriction. A nice touch if you are the outfitter. I wonder whom proposed this change?

I will be saying no to this one.

BCrams
11-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree with you 100% its sickning when you cant go out and not seeing a ton of people, just look at del rio i wont even attempt to go out there .
I dont have a promblem with all the out of region people hunting up here , the two week any bull not a great idea . people loose the meat ect

The any bull season is a great season. Meat spoilage? Thats painting a broad stroke with the brush there.

Meat spoilage can happen in September, October and November if the person does not know how to look after their meat.

Perhaps you would be happier if they moved the any bull to the first two weeks of September so there's "less meat spoilage" :-D

bridger
11-03-2009, 09:57 PM
if you have meat spoil at the end of august or any other time its because you are inexperienced and doing something wrong. there is absolutely no evidence of whole sale meat spoilage due to the august season. the august season provides the best meat of the entire year and gives young hunters an opportunity to go hunting before school. as for counting 10 points on a moose a lot better than going to leh and not getting a tag more than once every four or five years.

bigwhiteys
11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Interesting that they want to change the access on the West Toad Trail - if they make the change as proposed then the poor resident will not be able to camp past the outfitters camp with a pick-up as it will be over the weight restriction. A nice touch if you are the outfitter. I wonder whom proposed this change?You CAN'T drive a pickup down the WT access corridor (passed G/O camp)... And haven't been able to for DECADES. They should have changed this many years ago. You are still welcome to ATV, Hike or Horseback on it.

Carl

Gateholio
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
One of the members of our group shot a moose about Aug20 or so..Might be off a few days, but it's not important. What is important is that we spent 7 days more hunting in the blazing sun while the meat kept cool, cached in the plastic panniers in creeks.

That is just one example, I've killed quite a few animals in early seasons when the weather has been hot and never had issues.

To cancel a season because of some unfounded belief about meat spoilage is simply ridiculous.

bridger
11-04-2009, 03:35 AM
good post x2

pitbell
11-04-2009, 07:55 AM
too bad this wasn't available a few years back.

I agree ThinAir. Too late now:cry:

luckynuts
11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
I would say I agree with most of it, some I still need to chew on. Like said in an earlier post the 10 point moose antler was not a good idea. We have found countless moose that have been dropped only to have 9 points. Especially in the first 2 years that it came out. all of our moose that we have shot over the years that had 10 points, had 3 on at least one brow. Not to say there isn't any 10 pointers out there. And yes I'm aware of the genetics factor. As our areas of hunting have lots of 8x8 2 on the brow lately:(

One thing mentioned that I strongly support is a GOS on buffalo they totally destroy the winter ranges for sheep and goats.

L.

BCrams
11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
One thing mentioned that I strongly support is a GOS on buffalo they totally destroy the winter ranges for sheep and goats.

L.

Lets also talk about the competition factor elk have with Stone's sheep :wink:

luckynuts
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree with the elk, last sept We were calling bulls out 200 meters below 11 goats on the mountain top. But it's the buffalo that use the winter range for dust beds in the summer and completely destroy it. Never mind what they do to the moose country in the valley's:wink:. It's a hard balance and the ministry will always have lots of work to do to please everyone:mrgreen:

L.

PGK
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Hard balanc my ass. They introduced the wrong damn species of bison. There ought to be an open season 365 days a year on the suckers with no bag limit

BCrams
11-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Hard balanc my ass. They introduced the wrong damn species of bison. There ought to be an open season 365 days a year on the suckers with no bag limit

They weren't "introduced" on purpose. Thats the problem.

bridger
11-04-2009, 10:34 AM

the moe did not transplant the bison. they were transplanted by the guide outfitter in the area on a semi legal basis.

d6dan
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
the moe did not transplant the bison. they were transplanted by the guide outfitter in the area on a semi legal basis.

Could you elaborate some more on this topic?

bridger
11-04-2009, 12:39 PM
In the late 60's early 70,s can't remember which but a long time ago and outfitter who had a ranch on the edge of the mountains bought 37 buffalo in alberta (I believe Elk Island park) and brought them to his ranch without a permit. when local moe officials heard about it they gave him a permit. sort of like asking for permission after you are caught trespassing. He turned the buffalo out on his ranch that has no fences and the bison took off into the mountains where for several years he conducted hunts for his non resident clients. a long legal battle ensued as the moe tried to either get them turned over to the crown or force the outfitter to get them back on his own land (mission impossible) as the court battle carried on the bison multiplied steadily. Finally the case was settled in court. the outfitter was awarded 200 bison and the rest were turned over to the crown. the outfitter baited the bison into round corral traps with hay during a cold winter with lots of snow. He took the 200 bison out of the area and sold them to a rancher in alberta. After a couple of years moe began leh hunts. the downside of having a bison herd in 7b is that they are fierce competitors for range and have serious impact on sheep, elk, and moose populations. until recently they ahve stayed in the halfway and sikanni valleys but have recently been showing up in nevis creek and besa river drainages. in my opinion their should be gos on bison outside the leh zones to prevent them from establishing on more sheep winter ranges.

boxhitch
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Would be interesting to hear why MOE now manages them as a game species instead of a pest.

There is high demand for the LEH opportunities, there should be no trouble finding hunters enough to reduce the herd sizes, yet the permit numbers are still limited. Is someone worried about too much traffic ?

It seems it would be easier to have the bison harvested than it would to have cow elk taken out.

BCrams
11-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Would be interesting to hear why MOE now manages them as a game species instead of a pest.

Good point.

Why not more tags, more opportunity to harvest these bison? Especially with the impact they have on Stone's sheep, moose and elk?

PGK
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM

There is high demand for the LEH opportunities, there should be no trouble finding hunters enough to reduce the herd sizes, yet the permit numbers are still limited. Is someone worried about too much traffic ?

It seems it would be easier to have the bison harvested than it would to have cow elk taken out.

The point is the ministry of the day let them do it. Arguably, we are no better at wildlife management now, although I'd like to think we are.

Reason being is that 'bison' (boreal subspecies) are native to the area...just not 'plains' bison. The subspecies causes havoc because it's designed to live in open areas like....whoops....alpine. So, since they *are* a game species, and bison are *technically* native to the ecosystem (formerly). That's why it's a slippery slope to wage all out war on them.

Personally, I think they need to go to war with them. There's enough problems with elk right now....and bison are infinitely more difficult to manage. Trying to get enough hunters to shoot them seems to be the problem....hunting opportunity has been increasing....population level and dispersal is still increasing. I think I need to invest in a 7mag...

bridger
11-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Good point.

Why not more tags, more opportunity to harvest these bison? Especially with the impact they have on Stone's sheep, moose and elk?

I think if enough guys from around the province contacted the moe biologist it might help to get a general open season outside the traditional leh zones. the previous regional manager supported it up retired before it could be implemented.

boxhitch
11-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Reason being is that 'bison' (boreal subspecies) are native to the area...just not 'plains' bison. .I'd like to read the info on that point.

I think I need to invest in a 7mag...
and then apply til you die, good luck
Or go on a rampage......

boxhitch
11-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I think if enough guys from around the province contacted the moe biologist it might help to get a general open season outside the traditional leh zones. the previous regional manager supported it up retired before it could be implemented.Sounds like the basis for another study.
Has the 'interaction between species' been done yet ? :tongue:

bridger
11-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Plains Bison may be indigenous to the peace by that was eons ago. they are now a real pain in backside. They have made a really severe environmental impact on the halfway and sikanni vallies and the elk and sheep populations ther and are now spreading into other sheep ranges. that is the issue. In the 1970's Don Robinson was the director of the fish and wildlife branch and he told us at a bcwf convention that the bison should be removed entirely before the present scenario play out. no one listened at the time, but he was right. hopefully we will pay attention this time.

[

d6dan
11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for that Info Bridger. I've heard other stories about the bison. All different of course.:roll:.

hunter1947
11-05-2009, 05:07 AM
I like some of the changes and I don't like some ,I am 50,50 on the proposed changes.

PeaceHunter
11-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Interesting that they want to change the access on the West Toad Trail - if they make the change as proposed then the poor resident will not be able to camp past the outfitters camp with a pick-up as it will be over the weight restriction. A nice touch if you are the outfitter. I wonder whom proposed this change?

I will be saying no to this one.

I will as well, I hate access restrictions, espetially the ones for the Muskwa Kechika as there is no real reason to have them for most of the trails (Most of the Sikanni Trail is a road you could drive a pickup down) and the 500kg weight restrictions for ATV's is sadly out of date. Many new side by side ATV's such as Polaris Rangers and Yamaha Rhino's are over this limit, can easily go down these trails and don't do any more damage than quads. I think they need to take a good look at all the access restrictions for the Muskwa Kechika.

PeaceHunter
11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
if you have meat spoil at the end of august or any other time its because you are inexperienced and doing something wrong. there is absolutely no evidence of whole sale meat spoilage due to the august season. the august season provides the best meat of the entire year and gives young hunters an opportunity to go hunting before school. as for counting 10 points on a moose a lot better than going to leh and not getting a tag more than once every four or five years.

I don't know about that Bridger, after the huge moose die off over the winter of 06/07 I am really dissapointed that MoE didn't take another look at the moose hunt. I hate to say it but they probably should have gone to an leh for a couple of years until the populations came back up. I just find the 3 brow tine/ 10 point rule really annoying and frustrating because all I seem to see is large bulls with 2 brow tines and 7or 8 points total. I have also seen a lot of nice animals left in the bush because people miscounted.

As for the discussion on Bison competing with elk, I was up there on a hunt in 2003 and then again in 2007 and we were counting hundreds of eld all over the hillsides. Didn't seem like there was a competition problem to me.

daycort
11-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I hate to say it but they probably should have gone to an leh for a couple of years until the populations came back up.

PeaceHunter if it would of went to a leh zone it would of stayed leh. I think the moose have come back pretty good from 2 years ago.

lunatic
11-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't know about that Bridger, after the huge moose die off over the winter of 06/07 I am really dissapointed that MoE didn't take another look at the moose hunt. I hate to say it but they probably should have gone to an leh for a couple of years until the populations came back up. I just find the 3 brow tine/ 10 point rule really annoying and frustrating because all I seem to see is large bulls with 2 brow tines and 7or 8 points total. I have also seen a lot of nice animals left in the bush because people miscounted.

As for the discussion on Bison competing with elk, I was up there on a hunt in 2003 and then again in 2007 and we were counting hundreds of eld all over the hillsides. Didn't seem like there was a competition problem to me.

Geezus man, don't even think like that ( LEH ) ! If they would have done that, then you can bet it would have been all of 7B, and some areas weren't hit at all. Around Tumbler I found "0" dead moose that spring and I do lots of scouting. If the area you hunt was hit hard, you could always limit yourself and not hunt that year :wink:.

PeaceRegionInfo
11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
To date we have received 10 replies from the public regarding the proposed changes to the Peace hunting regulations. We strongly encourage you to read the proposed changes and reply (via fax, email, or regular mail) whether you agree or disagree, and add additional comments if there are other seasons/regulations that you feel need to be changed in the Peace Region. Your input will be considered when determining if these seasons will be implemented or not.

http://wwwd.env.gov.bc.ca/peace/wld/proposed_changes.html

BCrams
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
It might be a big help to have the format set up in a way that when a person clicks on the proposed changes, they can enter everything right on the BC Government Website.

Get proactive and simplify it for people to submit comments.

The BC MOE should have an interactive website to which, you could provide the link to. Then all a person has to do is enter their information and answer the questions quickly and close out.

Right now, with the .pdf format, a person clicks on it and they cannot enter anything unless:

1- they copy each piece into a word format, then save and e-mail, or
2- print and fill it out and fax it (but how many people have fax machines) and
3- snail mail????? Get with the times!!!

Set up an interactive central website or page within the MOE area which is accessible for all anglers and hunters in British Columbia to be able to provide input to all these proposed changes between regions.

Simplify it and you will get participation.

Even I rolled my eyes and shook my head when clicking on it and saw it was a .pdf format I couldn't immediatly enter and fire off.

BCrams
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
PeaceRegionInfo:

I support all the proposed changes.

Extra comments:

the 4 point whitetail deer point restriction should be removed.
the 6 pt elk season in the MU encompassing Kechika, Turnagain, Gataga Rivers etc needs to be extended and more opportunities opened up.
Consider a large GOS bubble area surrounding the current bison LEH area.
Re-examine the packer issues and accessibility for resident hunters.You have my permission to cut and paste and copy this onto your .pdf forms for submission (don't forget to copy and paste into word format first :wink:) .

pm me for any extra info you need

Simple!