PDA

View Full Version : Deer at 20 yards with a 20-gauge slug: Yes or No?

seanps
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey all. Was out in one of my favourite grouse hunting spots this weekend, following some fresh, new rubbings from what must be a pretty tall buck. The dog and I were hiking through a pretty tough thicket, when we rounded a corner and saw a huge doe just standing in the open.

She was about 20 yards away -- standing broadside, and close enough that I could have hit her with a rock (and I'm a bad throw!). Our presence didn't seem to bother her; even with the dog acting skittish (he could smell her, but didn't see her) and me reaching into my pocket for the binos, she didn't move much. Even gave a big, full-body shake right in front of us.

Anyway, after having a bit of a "forest moment" with the deer, I thought, "Hey, it could fill my freezer."

I don't have any tags and know I can't hunt deer with a dog in my company, so eventually we wandered away. She kept going about her business as we hiked off.

I don't have the money to invest in a rifle right now, but keep a few slugs with me in case of trouble. My question is: Could I have dropped the deer at 20 yards with a 20-gauge slug?

P.S. It was a good day all around: There's another game trail with lots of fresh deer sign that I had stumbled on to in another area. It crosses the main road, and while driving in yesterday I saw the ass end of a massive deer entering the path from the road!

johnes50
11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
A 20 gauge is the minimum legal size slug for deer and twenty yards is plenty close. I think you would be fine. I'd wait 15 yards from the game trail if I was you.:grin:

Slime green cat
11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
You can hunt deer with your dog, but the dog must be leashed .

seanps
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
You can hunt deer with your dog, but the dog must be leashed .

Oh, great: I didn't realize that. No problem because I usually keep him on a leash while grouse hunting. He gets a little overexcited and is prone to trying to retrieve the birds *before* I shoot them.

6 K
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Flaten it

But as with anything I would suggest some practice at the range first. To be positive where those slugs are hitting at different ranges.

hunter1947
11-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes at 20 yards with a slug or 000 buck shot ,no prob.

ratherbefishin
11-02-2009, 01:32 PM
thats precisely why I hunt grouse with a 20 guage rather then a .410-because you can carry a couple of slugs in your pocket in case you see a deer

silvicon
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes to 20 GA and deer.
the 20 is good enough for a 100 yard shot on deer.

.300WSMImpact!
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
you could kill a moose, if you wanted to!

PGK
11-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd take that shot without hesitating, provided I knew where that slug was going to hit @ 20y. Buy two boxes, shoot one at the range to check POI out to 50y, and pack the other box with you. Right behind the should, I'd bet you'll see a nice bang flop!

BlacktailStalker
11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Hammer down, good luck !

seanps
11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys!

Two last questions:

1) I have two types of slugs: a Remington Hollow Point and a Federal. Is one better?

2) Let's say I bag a deer near end of day. It'd be 6 or 7 p.m. before I made it back to the Vancouver area, and I don't have anywhere to keep it cool overnight (live in apartment). Are butchers, like North Surrey Quality Meats, open that late -- or do they have a "drop off" service? I think having a dead deer sit in my little car overnight would be a bad idea. :)

11-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Try phoning them, some butchers will be fine with a late drop. I have been given home numbers befor. Just give a call

Blainer
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys!

Two last questions:

1) I have two types of slugs: a Remington Hollow Point and a Federal. Is one better?

2) Let's say I bag a deer near end of day. It'd be 6 or 7 p.m. before I made it back to the Vancouver area, and I don't have anywhere to keep it cool overnight (live in apartment). Are butchers, like North Surrey Quality Meats, open that late -- or do they have a "drop off" service? I think having a dead deer sit in my little car overnight would be a bad idea. :)
Worst case scenario,meat it out and put in your own freezer.
Bigger concern was no deer tag and the fact that it was a doe.
Did you receive an leh?or is there a season?

Gateholio
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM
20 yards, broadside with a 20 guage slug? BOOM!

seanps
11-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Bigger concern was no deer tag and the fact that it was a doe.
Did you receive an leh?or is there a season?

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding: I haven't shot anything yet.

I picked up a deer tag today, and no, I'm not after does (no season here).

Plincker
11-06-2009, 07:51 PM
My buddy and I are heading out tomorrow. If we see your Prius on the side of the logging road we'll stop and give yah a hand.

Good luck Sean!

seanps
11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Haha. Good luck to you too!

kloosterboer
11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Like others have said 20 gauge if more than enough at 20 yards. I have dropped a deer on the spot at 45-50 yards before with a 20 gauge. Good luck!!!