PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack Goats

Brew
11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Well i headed out to chillibush to find a blacktail today. I drove to the end of a logging road and hiked up into a good looking valley. Well I did not see any deer but as I got close to the snow line I spotted 3 goats. I watched them for a while and then glassed the rest of the valley. All together I spotted 17 goats. I glassed them for three hours. I knew there was goats out that way but I wasnt expecting to see what I saw today. If there was an opening or LEH it woulda been a gimme hunt for sure and back at home for dinner. I sure was pissed off when I didn't have a camera today after a scumbag broke into my truck and stole it. Those goats sure had nice coats on them. The loner goats off in the secluded areas where monsters as well. I think it was my best lower mainland hunt yet, and I didnt have to gut or pack a single pound. When was the last time there was a LEH for goats or a open season?

Brew
11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
How often do you chilliwack regulars run into goats?

Dirty
11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Many hikers frequently see goats in the mountains around Chilliwack. However, I highly doubt they have seen 17 in one outing! They are seen quite frequently around Mount Cheam.

Brew
11-01-2009, 09:30 PM
I was by Lady peak

Steeleco
11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
One time while camera shopping, the sales guy showed me some sample pictures of his. He's climbed a trail above the lake. In one shot you could see the Vedder canal, in the other there were white dots all over the peaks.

I don't recall how many, but they were plentiful.

TIKA 300
11-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Many hikers frequently see goats in the mountains around Chilliwack. However, I highly doubt they have seen 17 in one outing! They are seen quite frequently around Mount Cheam.

Seen a loner standing on a rock outcropping up there,plus found white hair on the trail up many moons ago.....:eek:

greybark
11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Late 60`s the Bio`s and Chwk F%G members conducted goat counts by being deposited by helicopter for day long sentry duty around the Cheam / Lady and Chipmonk range .
I do not recall numbers but for several years the tally was in the 60 to 70 range .
Cheers

EvanG
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I believe it was around 88' when they had the last draw, i remember talking to one of the last guys to have the leh.

madtrapper85
11-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Ya theres lots of goats up there, it would be nice for them to open the season up for a year or even an leh.

Brew what side of the valley where you on? or mountain? I live there and go out alot, ive seen them cheam, tamahi and a couplee other spots around the valley.

hunter1947
11-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Its to bad that a thief had stoled your camera would have been nice for to have taken some pic and post them up on the forum.

There will be a next time you will have a new camera by then ,at least there in your mind of what you had seen.

FLHTCUI
11-02-2009, 07:43 AM
IIRC when speaking with the CO's from the Wack about Goats I seen up Silver Creek the guy said there used to be an LEH about 20 years ago now.
I was in hunting late in November on the road into Ross Lk. When it started to rian at the road and snow flying up higher.
I noticed these white snow patches ... the they started to move, counted about 15 or so.
The CO said many years ago they would come even as low down as the Silver Challice Pub ...
Anyways, I digress.. It is a great day when you get to see them shaggy critters in the Lower Mainland Region.
There are some elk up that way too, not that I have seen them, but ahve seen the tracks ...
Rob

bforce750
11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Seen Lots Up Airplane creek .