PDA

View Full Version : Meat question

d_k
11-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a quarter deer in the freezer. problem is, its hole.
Can I safely thaw it, cut, wrap and re-freez?
or is it time to invite every one over for a bbq?

BCKID
11-01-2009, 06:27 PM
BBQ sounds great!! Not recommended to refreeze meat. Get yourself a meat saw or take it to a meat cutter and have him saw it up for you. BCKID

Caveman
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Allow it to thaw just to the point where you can just stand to work it. Your hands will be frozen, but no bacteria or other nasty's to concern yourself with.

hunter1947
11-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I have a quarter deer in the freezer. problem is, its hole.
Can I safely thaw it, cut, wrap and re-freez?
or is it time to invite every one over for a bbq?

No prob with thawing it out and then cutting it up and wrapping it ,I taked to a butcher many years ago and he said no prob.

When you do unthaw this deer just make sure it is cut up when it is still cold.

ElectricDyck
11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Thaw it in a fridge, I've done this before with no bad effect on flavor.

Gauge
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
this can be done. only reason they say not to re freeze store bought meat is because its been frozen and thawed multiple times already. every year i have to thaw my deer so my butcher can cut it.

Steeleco
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Just don't let it reach room temp and you'll be fine. I semi thaw cubed meat to make burger patties all the time. It's hard on the hands, but you get through it.

lori7523
11-02-2009, 06:44 AM
spammer...............

hunter1947
11-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Just think about how many hunters get there animals in Nov then let them hang in there hunting camp for several days and the meat freezes up on them.

They take it home to un thaw it or take it to a butcher to get it butchered ,this happens every year to game animals.

This year I was in -19 temp at night and the hi was -4 for 4 days my deer froze like a rock ,I come home with it still froze up ,I got it into the butcher shop to be un thawed in a cooler and then butchered up ,I have had this happen to me many of times over my hunting carrier and I am still here to tell the story about frozen meat.

As long as you don't get the meat warm when you unthawing it and you keep it cold so bacteria does not get into the meat you will be fine ,if bacteria does set in it will be there in the meat even when it is in the freezer frozen for months ,that why it is important to cut the meat in a cold area and when the meat is unfrozen enough and able to be cut.

Butcherman79
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
As a butcher I can tell you it is ok to freeze and re-freeze meat without hurting it.. What will hurt it is the amount of time it sits out thawed...

For example if it is thawed out for 1 or 2 day for you to cut it then you re- freeze it take it out and thawe it out again make sure you cook it with in t 1 or 2 days of being thawed....

Most meat after being cut has a shelf life of 3-5 days but that also depends on how well it is looked after and the temp. as well.....

Jagermeister
11-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Or you can just hack off what you think that you need at that time from the frozen slab with a meat saw and knife.
Or you can thaw the whole thing, debone, cut up and brown it in a frying pan. Then can it. Just remember that you will need a pressure canner for the canning process