PDA

View Full Version : snowmobiles

lb_billy
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
why can't you use sleds for hunting? from what I understand in the regs, you can't, but I don't see why you can use quads then...

Bighorn hunter
11-01-2009, 09:52 AM
your able to use them for the buffalo hunt.Should be able to use them the same as a quad

Foxtail
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not too sure if you can or can't but I have never seen any game while sleddin and I go a lot and all over the place. Probably the sound of the big 2 stroke.

killman
11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Around PG most of the area's are only closed part of the year.

Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed

Areas:

The operation of snowmobiles

for the purpose of hunting, to transport

wildlife, to transport firearms or equipment
and supplies which are intended
for or in support of hunting, or to transport
hunters to and from the location
of wildlife is prohibited in these areas.

MUs 7-2 to 7-18, 7-23 to 7-30,
7-37 to 7-39

▼ from Mar. 31 to Nov. 30.

Fenton Quagmire
11-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Snowmobiles give a hunter an extremely unfair advantage as the sled will stay on top of the snow while the deer break through it and will wear out. It would essentially be a "persistance hunt" where you could just run the animal to exhaustion then shoot it. Seems a little unfair to me. A quad does not give the hunter the same advantage as it can't go as many places as a sled and can't stay on top of the snow the same (unless you have the tracks on it). This is just what I was told as a kid but it makes sense to me.

Krico
11-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Good luck chasing anything on a sled...the only place you could possibly do it is on a frozen lake-not too many of those around during big game seasons.

It's a stupid rule and like many seems to favor those who use horses.

The part of the year closed to the use of sleds around here is, of course, pretty much the start of spring bear until the end of deer season.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Depends on the Region and/or time of yr.
Not all regions have the same restrictions.

SSS

RiverBoatFantasy
11-01-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd suggest you go back and actually read the hunting regulations - region by region. Amazing what little tidbits of information one can acquire by careful and thorough reading.

Fenton Quagmire
11-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Good luck chasing anything on a sled...the only place you could possibly do it is on a frozen lake-not too many of those around during big game seasons.

It's a stupid rule and like many seems to favor those who use horses.

The part of the year closed to the use of sleds around here is, of course, pretty much the start of spring bear until the end of deer season.

You really think that in the West Kootenays there is not enough snow in some areas to sled during the season? It doesn't happen every year but it does happen.

It is at the very least a better reasoning than "It's a stupid rule".

PGK
11-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Mostly because an animal's metabolic rate skyrockets when it's even walking in knee deep snow, let alone running from a snowmobile. Hunting from one would be ridiculously unfair.

Krico
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
You really think that in the West Kootenays there is not enough snow in some areas to sled during the season? It doesn't happen every year but it does happen.

It is at the very least a better reasoning than "It's a stupid rule".

You are missing the point, which is that up here the only time you can use a sled for hunting, the majority of big game seasons are closed. Snowmobiles could increase harvest rates for resident hunters on spring bear hunts in many areas-not because guys could chase the bears down, but because they could actually access their draw areas before the last week of May.

Where are you guys hunting deer that you can chase them down with sleds? Unless you were running one down a road or across an open lake, I really don't see how a sled gives you any unfair advantage. It is simply another method of transportation, no different from a quad, horse, truck, whatever.

I stand by my opinion that it is a stupid rule.

And by the way, I don't even own a snowmobile.

Riverratz
11-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Aside from the ethics or morality of using a snowmobile for hunting, here is something to ponder: following taken from the '09 Hunting Regs - Definitions:

Snowmobile - means a vehicle designed
primarily for travel on snow or ice, having one
or more steering skis, self propelled and using
one or more endless belts or tracks driven in
contact with the ground.

Therefore, if a quad is equipped with tracks, would it be considered a "snowmobile" ? Considering that a quad does not have "one or more steering skis", (at least none that I have ever seen), by pure definition, it probably shouldn't be considered a snowmobile ?????

I don't own a snowmobile, and do not have tracks for the quad.

RiverBoatFantasy
11-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Mostly because an animal's metabolic rate skyrockets when it's even walking in knee deep snow, let alone running from a snowmobile. Hunting from one would be ridiculously unfair.

No different than a pickup, car, boat, atv, motorcycle, horse or walking. It is a form of human transport.

Chasing an animal in deep snow is a different issue.

bcyukonair
11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
in dease lake people use sleds from now untill spring moose hunting & the game warden doesn't seem to mind. [cows & calves too.]

PGK
11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
No different than a pickup, car, boat, atv, motorcycle, horse or walking. It is a form of human transport.

Chasing an animal in deep snow is a different issue.

Gee, I wonder why we can't shoot animals from powered boats, trucks, cars, atvs motorcycles or horses!?

The fact remains, and you're agreeing with me, an animal's metabolic rate skyrockets when it's moving through snow, even knee deep snow. There need be no designation of 'deep snow.'

Fair chase? Shit no.

Every one of your posts is arrogant and annoying. Tone it down.

RiverBoatFantasy
11-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Gee, I wonder why we can't shoot animals from powered boats, trucks, cars, atvs motorcycles or horses!?

The fact remains, and you're agreeing with me, an animal's metabolic rate skyrockets when it's moving through snow, even knee deep snow. There need be no designation of 'deep snow.'

Fair chase? Shit no.

Every one of your posts is arrogant and annoying. Tone it down.

PGKGFY (repeat often)

gitnadoix
11-01-2009, 06:05 PM
It seems that the main point point buddy is after is more access to areas, not easily accessed with out a snow machine. The flip side of that is more access will mean more harvest success, thus less draws or open seasons. Its a vicious circle, make it too easy on side and they will probably have to reduce it some where else. Get a pair of touring skis or snow shoes and have the place all to yourself, as not many others will. You might find a world of rewarding hunting you never dreamed existed...

lb_billy
11-04-2009, 10:07 PM
wow - wasn't expecting such a debate...

Personally, I don't believe in hunting from any vehicle. Lots of guys on quads that shred through cut-blocks in very fast times - is that fair? This could go on forever, and a line needs to be drawn somewhere, I guess that's the reasoning behind regulations:)

But my original point about using snowmobiles was mislead from the beginning. I don't believe in chasing big game around on the sled. But I just don't understand why you can't use them for transport of materials/supplies/meat. Why can you use a quad, boat, or airplane (with time restrictions) for that matter, as a method of transport, but not a sled...

I just don't get it...

dana
11-04-2009, 11:07 PM
PGK,
Better tell all those houndsmen chasing lions in the winter that their sleds are a unfair advantage. ;)

BlacktailStalker
11-04-2009, 11:11 PM
PGK,
Better tell all those houndsmen chasing lions in the winter that their sleds are a unfair advantage. ;)

Double up on the lecture, we're unfair using hounds as it is :roll: :lol:

PGK
11-04-2009, 11:55 PM
PGK,

Can you read, steve?
Deer - long legs, small hooves, punch through snow. Kill themselves running a mile in brisket deep snow
Cats - long legs, big fla paws, run on top of snow. Just getting warmed up after a mile of the same snow.

dana
11-05-2009, 10:33 PM
If you think hunting with a sled means chasing game with a sled you need to give your head a shake. Sleds are used as an access tool. For houndsmen, they are used to find tracks. For grizzly hunters in the spring, they can provide the only access to a unit. For moose hunters they can be a great way to move some seriously big blocky meat. For deer hunters, they can give get ya into that higher country in the late season where the big boys have decided they ain't coming down. Not too many road hunt from a sled. Not saying that wouldn't work though. I've seen plenty of deer and moose from a sled while working. There are areas in this province that the MOE has sled restrictions on only because they had a special season years ago and then never got rid of the sled restriction when that season went the way of the dodo. There is a unit in my area just like that. Long long ago the Ministry had a late moose hunt and they put the sled restriction on that unit. Many moons have passed since that special hunt ended and yet the Ministry hasn't had the forthought to remove the sleding restriction. Low snow years or in years where the Forest Companies actually plow roads, you can hunt till your hearts content. Is it unfair to be in a vehicle when the snowbanks are like a tunnel and the moose decide they don't want to wallow around in the deep powder and stay on the plowed roads instead????

PeaceHunter
11-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Snowmobiles give a hunter an extremely unfair advantage as the sled will stay on top of the snow while the deer break through it and will wear out. It would essentially be a "persistance hunt" where you could just run the animal to exhaustion then shoot it. Seems a little unfair to me. A quad does not give the hunter the same advantage as it can't go as many places as a sled and can't stay on top of the snow the same (unless you have the tracks on it). This is just what I was told as a kid but it makes sense to me.

If you are runinng down animals with any machine it is harrasment of wildlife and illegal as it is. I don't wee the problem with using any type of machine to transport hunters and game. In some areas you just can't get in places to hunt without the aid of equipment.

mpotzold
06-02-2018, 09:51 PM
A large brown bear chased by snowmobiles in Kuril Is. A unique video of baiting & taunting the bear.
The guys were not armed.Luckily the snowmobile was faster than the bear.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6012469/bear-attack-tormentors-snowmobile-russia/