PDA

View Full Version : Valley full of Grizzlies

Fourpoint
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Just want to let everyone know that Christian Valley is full of Grizzlies right now because the snow came. Nevertouch also has over a foot of snow and we just barely made it through last night from Kelowna.

steepNdeep
10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought Christians didn't lie... :lol:

mark
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Hmm I was through there the other day, didnt see any tracks! What km did you see al the griz???

pete_k
10-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Just want to let everyone know that Christian Valley is full of Grizzlies right now because the snow came. Nevertouch also has over a foot of snow and we just barely made it through last night from Kelowna.

How many did you see? Where did you see them?

Fourpoint
10-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Two grizzlies came and tore down a deer, ate a hunk and broke the hanging stand before they were chased off at a cabin 2 K down the road night before last. We are at the end of the road before Rendell Creek turnoff. Prints were about 6 inches wide. We will be checking our fence line tomorrow. Lots of prints up Center. Some big ones. Just be careful is all I am saying.

pete_k
10-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Two grizzlies came and tore down a deer, ate a hunk and broke the hanging stand before they were chased off at a cabin 2 K down the road night before last. We are at the end of the road before Rendell Creek turnoff. Prints were about 6 inches wide. We will be checking our fence line tomorrow. Lots of prints up Center. Some big ones. Just be careful is all I am saying.

thanks for the heads up

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Saw a big blonde sow with twin cubs up that way a couple of weeks ago. We were gonna sit in a slashpile and wait for bucks that evening, but that plan changed, fast! :shock:

lip_ripper00
11-01-2009, 12:23 AM

Special!! let your Beau know I don't do bow solo:mrgreen:. I'm bringing his new favorite rifle with me. hopefully will see you in a few weeks

GoatGuy
11-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Saw a big blonde sow with twin cubs up that way a couple of weeks ago. We were gonna sit in a slashpile and wait for bucks that evening, but that plan changed, fast! :shock:

Until your shooting it's no different than spotting a frog or an owl.

You used to hunt in the EK. Steamboat had to shoot at one last weekend.

Quit being such a woose.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-01-2009, 04:59 AM
A co-worker used to hunt the north end of CV but he had a hard time NOT running into G bears.
He just gave up. He looked liked Grizzly Adams but was petrified of them:biggrin:

SSS

hunter1947
11-01-2009, 05:18 AM
I learned this year to have my meat pole at least 25 feet or more off the the ground.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/741.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15993&limit=recent)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1211.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15994&limit=recent)

There is 6 feet from my hand to the deers head.

gary murray
11-01-2009, 07:47 AM
That's great to hear. I'm heading to Christian Valley next weekend for 4 days for whiteys. I'm staying at Damfino Creek campground at Km 68 so stop in and say hi if anyone is in the area and to make sure i'm still in one piece lol. I have an orange, canvas teepee style tent. If i remember correctly, wasn't there a grizzly that was running around there last year too?

Fourpoint
11-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Special!! let your Beau know I don't do bow solo:mrgreen:. I'm bringing his new favorite rifle with me. hopefully will see you in a few weeks

Looking forward to seeing you! Don't worry, I am usually bear bait and backup. He thinks he can run faster than me. lol lol.

tangozulu
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Personally I am glad to see those southern Grizzlies doing well. As hunters I don't understand why they being around should be a problem............after all we're armed. No contest.

greybark
11-01-2009, 10:34 PM
:icon_frow Hey TZ , we are not all armed !!!!! LOL and a friend and his son while bowhunting had a unerving encounter with a big boar that had a tracker coller on . They love the WT gut piles .
PS . Do not have deer scent glands on your boots .

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Personally I am glad to see those southern Grizzlies doing well. As hunters I don't understand why they being around should be a problem............after all we're armed. No contest.

Remember, our southern grizzlies tend to be not as shy as the northern bears which have endoured a few decades of fall GOS:wink:.
The southern bears tend to be extra friendly and not quite as shy:-?.

SSS

Big jer
11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Anyone have more updates on the grizz situation in Christian Valley? We are heading up there next week and staying up just past Damifino. Right about where you guys have been seeing them.:icon_frow been hunting there for 29 years, do I start worrying now?

blaker_99
11-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Holy crap! Was out the CV today and there was scat everywhere!!! Be careful they are hungry and won't stop, they'll even grab you right out of your climbing treestand 30 feet in the air. Oh and the roads are all iced up, everything has a layer of ice and there's absolutly no way anyone can get up any of them I'd call the trip off if it were up to me.....

dunbartr
11-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Been working up the K-40 last couple months and we saw a sow with three cubs there earlier in October. Last week the we talked to the ranchers and they said both grizzly's and wolves have been chasing thier cattle while they were trying to get htem out after that early big snow fall. Seems to be lots more wolves around too.

There is lots of snow down there, but it has settled some now.

gary murray
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I just got back from Christian Valley on Friday with a whitetail. Stayed a couple of km's past Damfino creek. Didn't see any scat or sign myself personally. I was going to hang my deer and stay one more night but decided not to take any chances.

pete_k
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Anyone have more updates on the grizz situation in Christian Valley? We are heading up there next week and staying up just past Damifino. Right about where you guys have been seeing them.:icon_frow been hunting there for 29 years, do I start worrying now?

Just did a service call in Lumby today. Warning on the sign in/out board said 1 sow and 3 cubs spotted on K-40.
Must be the same ones everyone is talking about here.

Those 4 bears sure got the pot stirring.

Fourpoint
11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
One sow and a cub were shot this morning when they attacked a hunter. CO is on his way up now. This happened on the road that turns off just before Rendell Creek Bridge at about 69 K.

tangozulu
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
One sow and a cub were shot this morning when they attacked a hunter. CO is on his way up now. This happened on the road that turns off just before Rendell Creek Bridge at about 69 K.

This is very sad news. I worry that sometimes grizzlies are shot just because some people have a funny idea of what a charge is. I'm not saying this is the case here but I have seen bears and salmon fishermen get along just fine then a new dude shows up and thinks the bear is a problem. Plenty of people are simply afraid of bears, especially grizzlies.

curt
11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
A friend of mine was up the CV a few weeks back saw grizzlies that numbered in the double digit's however i reminded him that there is a grizzly reserve back about 60 km mark and turns out he wasnt far from there!! just an fyi

tangozulu
11-10-2009, 11:07 AM
A friend of mine was up the CV a few weeks back saw grizzlies that numbered in the double digit's however i reminded him that there is a grizzly reserve back about 60 km mark and turns out he wasnt far from there!! just an fyi

The loss of a sow may really inpact their continued recovery. Seems to me they have shot a few others recently.

horshur
11-10-2009, 12:26 PM
The loss of a sow may really inpact their continued recovery. Seems to me they have shot a few others recently.

I have know of grizzly in the east kettle since a kid....a sow with cubs poached my buck from the meatpole when I was 13years old.....Our spike camp in the lightning peaks area was trashed by a grizzly as well.
this all occured nearly 30 years ago.

What exactly is your vision of grizzly recovery anyway???????

Just puzzles me that the reality of "recovery" is inevitable conflict and many are surprised with this.

tangozulu
11-10-2009, 04:52 PM
I have know of grizzly in the east kettle since a kid....a sow with cubs poached my buck from the meatpole when I was 13years old.....Our spike camp in the lightning peaks area was trashed by a grizzly as well.
this all occured nearly 30 years ago.

What exactly is your vision of grizzly recovery anyway???????

Just puzzles me that the reality of "recovery" is inevitable conflict and many are surprised with this.

Guess I would be wondering why a few "common" grizllies would be worth mentioning in the first place.

RiverOtter
11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Good on the hunter(s) that shot those 2 bears, we don't need any more bears like that roaming around B.C.

And it's not just a few common grizzlies. 2 years ago on Cortianna(Not that far away from the Kettle valley) I seen 7 different grizzlies in less than 4 hours. 3 of which were a family unit, the rest were solo bears.....

killman
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
This is very sad news. I worry that sometimes grizzlies are shot just because some people have a funny idea of what a charge is. I'm not saying this is the case here but I have seen bears and salmon fishermen get along just fine then a new dude shows up and thinks the bear is a problem. Plenty of people are simply afraid of bears, especially grizzlies.

Big difference between salmon full and feed Grizzlies and ones that are looking for food.

tangozulu
11-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Big difference between salmon full and feed Grizzlies and ones that are looking for food.

Oh I agree and there is also a big difference if peoples comfort zone around bears. I know plenty who have zero tollerance. Should move to Kalifornia maybe.

Fourpoint
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I think this sow kind of entered the comfort zone. She was shot less than 20 feet away from the hunter.