PDA

View Full Version : I think I got my mojo back!

Marc
10-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Well the past couple of times out I just couldn't seem to get my groove. I managed to scratch a few birds but missed more then I'd like to admit. Then this time out that all changed.

First mallards of the morning Field Marshal takes a double. I'm targeting one bird and fire 3 shots and the bird flies away unscratched. I'm thinking to myself "oh no not this again!"

The next flock of mallards aren't so lucky. I swing and pull on the first and it drops, swing on a second, pull and it drops. I make a hard swing to try and catch a last one as they've now passed over us and heading out, lead him and pull the trigger and the third duck drops. Holy crap that was my first triple ever! I ended up pulling a double later in the morning as well.

We had 3 geese visit the decoys unexpectedly. I still had #3 shot in the gun when they did a fly over and I peppered one goose and it fell stone dead. Filed Marshal dropped one as well. The third goose did a full circle giving me time to switch out my shells and dropped him flying over the decoys. We also had a solo come in and I popped him over the decoys and he hit the ground running. The dog chased him down and brought him back in no time.

We managed another 5 duck to finish off the morning with 12 mallards and 4 geese. Had an awesome time with Filed Marshal as usual and the dog had a blast as well.

The dog did a lot better this time, he was inside the blind and couldn't really see where the birds were falling so he had to be directed a few times but overall he was finding the birds pretty quick. At one point, in the early morning, we had about a dozen mallards land in the decoys and the dog just couldn't wait any longer with all the scent & noise and ran out to the ducks. It was legal time to shoot but because of the back drop and muddy field you couldn't bead them when they got to a certain hight. I just bought a dog blind and hoping I get it quick so we can position him where he can see the birds so he can mark them easier.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Ducks_and_geese.jpg

Bearen 09
10-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Thats awsome Mark. Great job. PS i love your dog..

Chuck
10-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I'll say you got it back. Now if I can only mojo the 6-49 I'll send you a cheque.

Marc
10-31-2009, 02:53 PM
I'd also like to mention that Field Marshal was generous enough to let me be the first to shoot and he shot mostly back up if it was required on geese.

We're still getting resident birds and I just passed Somenose marsh and there had to be 500 geese sitting in the green fields out there.

I cleaned up the geese and they had close to an inch of fat inside the body cavity on them. They must have been gorging on the corn the past month of so. Most migrators are mostly lean from the journey. These guys where chunky buggers. I have the two geese on the left going in the oven tomorrow for a supper of 7 people and the other two have made it to the freezer already. The third one from the left got peppered with # 3 shot. at about 10-15 yards over head. 4 or 5 of the pellets went straight out the back. That bird just crumpled and fell on it's back.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/4_geese_in_the_sink.jpg

Marc
10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
I forgot to mention if you look in the picture with the all the birds in it, the goose on the far left was really dark compared to the other three. Some call them Duskies I seem to recall. It was the lone goose that came into the decoys.

Crazy_Farmer
10-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Cant tell but it appears to have some mud on it, but a true dusky is very dark, like dark chocolate brown not grey at all, if it was a real dusky you'd be able to tell right away. One of the sub species in the Pacific flyway is the vancouver canada goose. Close in size to normal honkers and duskies, but they are a bit darker like a dusky but not quite as dark.

A dusky is so dark, the whole neck appears black and then you can sortof see the line where it leads to the brown chest and body, even the back looks brown not alot of grey. Nice hunts though.

NEEHAMA
10-31-2009, 03:13 PM
nice shooting!

good to get a few honks for the oven!!

Gateholio
10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Man, that is alot of plucking, all those ducks and geese. I've been plucking our Muscovy ducks (reputed to be the most difficult to pluck?) and it's been driving me nuts.:(

PGK
10-31-2009, 03:35 PM
My thumbs hurt just looking at that picture. Nice shootin!

ThinAir
10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Beauty birds Marc.....man I love the look of a proud Chessie with his birds.

kyleklassen
10-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Man, that is alot of plucking, all those ducks and geese. I've been plucking our Muscovy ducks (reputed to be the most difficult to pluck?) and it's been driving me nuts.:(scoters also very tuff to pluck

Marc
10-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Here is a closer look at the geese from a different angle. Yes all the geese had a bit of mud on them but we didn't roll them in the mud. You can tell one on the left is much darker then the other 3. Looking almost all brown. Wish I had taking better pictures to show the difference. Either way it's plucked and getting eaten tomorrow night for supper.:biggrin:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/brown_goose_2.jpg

Marc
10-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Well for those of you who wonder what I do with the majority of my ducks and geese this should give you an idea. Are my fingers sore? Hell yah!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/4_geese_in_the_sink.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mallards.jpg

PGK
10-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Plucking ducks is way too much work :lol:

303Brit
11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Nice haul Marc, thats way too much plucking for me!!!