PDA

View Full Version : sunday summit

buckwild76
10-31-2009, 07:20 AM
I just went up to sunday summit yesterday for a day trip, there was about 4 in. of snow but not very cold (6 above). I never saw one animal in 8 hours, saw some tracks and some fresh droppings. I have spent a total of 7 days up there now this year and I have seen 6 does and a bear. Am I wasting my time up there or what???

stroh72
10-31-2009, 07:33 AM
I think you answered your own question. Sunday summit can be a real hit and miss. When it is on its great but then again...

BearSniper
10-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Sunday Summit can be funny.

There are tons of cutblocks , thus lots of lower growth vegitation for deer to browse on.

I have seen Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, Black Bear, and Lynx during the many trips I've made there at various times of the year. Have even seen Cougar sign.

One December, 2 weeks after the season was over, we saw a heard of 15 Mulies consisting of Does and 2 good sized Bucks. They were feeding on a cutblock 800 meters from the summit rest area.

If you want to go in way back to the the Garrison lakes, you will see more animals. I don't know how the road would be once it starts snowing.

As for other hunters, I've been up on an October weekend and have seen Quads, trucks, motorbikes, and even travel trailers parked up high on the roads. But, go in the middle of the week and you've got the whole place to yourself.

Its a huge area and ther are deer in there , no doubt about it.

buckwild76
10-31-2009, 08:00 AM
thanx for the info boys, I have seen some decent bucks up there last year, and I have put a lot of effort into that place and I'm not quite ready to give up on it just yet. another quick question. Is it true that mulies do not respond to grunts the way WT do??

BearSniper
10-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Sorry:???:

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to Deer, or grunting.

But I think a few others will chip in and offer some good advice on your question. There are some real " kick ass " deer hunters here on HBC:wink: