PDA

View Full Version : Future of the sport of hunting and fishing.

elkmaster
01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
:) The future of our sport of hunting in this province will depend on our chlidren, grand chidren, and so forth.
Do you have any hunting, fishing, scenery pictures, or stories, (past or present) of your Chlidren, Grand Children, and great grand Chlidren!
I believe it is something to ADMIRE!

These pictures are of my son and daughter in 1988, this was the first year a junior could hunt using thier parents LEH draw, the 10 inch billy harvested scored 48, and his first 6 spike bull Elk at 10 yards.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/wes_kelly_1988.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=290&stc=1&d=1137184417)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/wes_10_elk.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/wes_10_goat.jpg

The other links wouldn't work, hope this helps Steeleco

Steeleco
01-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I've posted this pic before but here's a picture of my son with the small bear we got last spring, he was 9, he tell he's getting one this spring by himself. He's 10, Feb 21, and can't wait for spring bear. He's even got his own HBC hat for the next picture!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Elahobear.jpg

Joe89
01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Last year was my first year hunting, I have my older daughter (15) and youngest son (11) signed up for the the core program starting Jan17, can't wait to hunt with them this coming year.
Luckily I have some good friends that are experienced hunters to teach us the ropes.

Pics to hopefully come soon

Johnnybear
01-13-2006, 06:34 PM
It's great to have kids that want to get out there and have great experiences. My daughter is 7 and doesn't like guns but loves to go out scouting with me and being in the wilderness. My son is 9 and has been shooting for the last couple of years and can't wait till he's 10. I'm letting them get good with guns and safety first then get them out there to harvest their very own animals.

PGKris
01-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey Joe89 if you're living in penticton like it says you are you will want to go to the 50th BCWF Convention sometime around the end of March. Get your kids involved. Chilko_21 and I are both junior delagates (Me from 7 and her from 5) and will be in attendance. I'm sure she'll be around shortly. Thread title like that gets our attention. I'm too tired to type much more about it but if you're interested we can give you the jist of it through email.
Tight Lines
KRIS

(PS: I wish I had the pics of my first moose on a computer! I've also got a couple good ones of me at 4 years old with some chickens!)

3kills
01-13-2006, 10:28 PM
here i a pic of my lil cousin last spring with me when i got my bear..he is suppose to be gettin his core some time this year so he can hunt the youth season this fall....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/Dscn0514.jpg

and i m going to hopefully get my step girls into hunting too...i m going to take them out on drives with me this fall for chickens...my niece is turnin 4 this spring and she cant wait till she can hunt...i think i m going to get one of them lil .22's for my oldest step daughter and then it can go through her and my niece and my youngest step daughter....

Husky7mm
01-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Are kids under 10 with no core able to gouse hunt legaly?

Steeleco
01-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Are kids under 10 with no core able to gouse hunt legaly?

They are not allowed to hunt anything till they're 10 at which time they can hunt with a junior licence ($7) till they're 14. Any animals they shoot during this time must be cancelled on the adults tag that is hunting with them at the time. I believe that they can write their CORE at 10 and up and get their own licence and tags!!

Tuffcity
01-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Are kids under 10 with no core able to gouse hunt legaly

No, they have to 10 and in possession of a Junior Hunting licence; which costs about $7 and no course required.

My kids have all been hunting with me since they were about 4 or 5. They've had a junior licence when they turned 10 and have come close to tipping things over but not quite. My daughter (so far) is the most interested, but she's also the oldest. To her credit she passed on a nice bear last year because she wasn't comfortable with the shot situation.

They've all been in on a "kill". All 3 of 'em are right into fishing as well.

3kills
01-14-2006, 01:43 PM
They are not allowed to hunt anything till they're 10 at which time they can hunt with a junior licence ($7) till they're 14. Any animals they shoot during this time must be cancelled on the adults tag that is hunting with them at the time. I believe that they can write their CORE at 10 and up and get their own licence and tags!!

ya they can right there core at 10 and ge there own licence and tags..but i thought that they can buy jr licences till they are 16??

Steeleco
01-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Here you go guys.

A BC resident 14 years of age or older
must produce a BC Resident Hunter Number
Card and photo identification to purchase a
Resident Hunting Licence.
and
A person 14 years of age and under 19
must apply for a hunting licence in person
in the presence of a parent or guardian,
BEFORE YOUR HUNT
who must sign an "Acknowledgement of
Responsibility" for his/her son, daughter
or ward. Hunters under the age of 19
must be accompanied and closely supervised
while hunting by a person who is
19 years of age or older and who holds
a hunting licence.
•No one under the age of 10 may hunt.
A person who causes or allows a
person under the age of 10 to hunt
wildlife commits an offence.
•When a BC resident who is 10 years of
age or older completes CORE, he or
she is entitled to a BC Resident Hunter
Number Card, and to have a bag limit of
his or her own, to purchase a hunting
licence, and to enter the limited entry
hunting draw.
3. A Junior Hunting Licence can only be
issued to a parent or guardian on behalf
of his/her child or ward who is 10 years
of age or older and under the age of 14.
The junior hunter need not have completed
a hunter training program but
must be accompanied and under the
close personal supervision of an adult
who carries the proper licences. Wildlife
taken by the junior under this licence is
included in the bag limit of the accompanying
licenced adult. No species
licences may be purchased with the
junior licence. However, during a hunting
season, a licenced junior hunter may
accompany and hunt with an adult
holding a valid Limited Entry Hunting
authorization and a valid species licence.

Copied from page's 7 and 8 in "the book' !!!

3kills
01-14-2006, 05:59 PM
thanx david...wasnt sure all i can remember was i didnt start packin my 303 till i was 16 and didnt start buyin my hunting licence till i was 16 as well...

Johnnybear
01-14-2006, 06:15 PM
When they say no one under the age of 10 is permitted to hunt do they mean they can't even acompany an adult on a hunt (you know observe and learn)?

Steeleco
01-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I would assume your not hunting unless your carrying a rifle. My son has been with me since he was 6 or so. Never touched a gun, just along for the ride.

I'd say the younger the better, but like I learned when the little ones are along it's either still hunting or road hunting, their little minds work all kinds of tricks when your trying to push bush. Especially during spring bear!! Trust me!!! Go slow and they'll be lifer's, go to fast and you'll be doing it alone.

CHilko21
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
You've got to start kids hunting and fishing, when they're younger, it's harder to do the older they get. My dad has friends that are just trying to start their teenaged kids hunting, it doesn't work so well especially in the case of their daughters. My dad's been asked what he did, and he laughs and says he's been taking my brother and I since we were babies. He'd literally throw the diaper bag and carseat into our big beater pick up and take us out with him, if he went for a walk to a fishing hole in Bella Coola or walked while hunting, he'd strap us into his trapper Nelson pack board and take us with him.
Kris I thought the convention was closer to the end of april beginning of may? Maybe I'm a bit out of the loop but it's been around then the last two years, are they doing something different this year? Haha, yeah this thread title got my attention. I'll know for sure if I'm going or not when the university final schedule comes out, I might not be going as a delegate this year, but I'm hoping to go down there anyways.

mark
01-14-2006, 06:57 PM
my dad used to let me shoot rabbits with the .22 when i was 7 or 8 years old. i loved it and been hooked ever since! (bigger game now though)

moose hunter
01-14-2006, 07:07 PM
i just got hooked my dad never intended me to be hunter or anything but im a much bigger hunter than even he is now im so glad whenever i hunt it gets kids active instead of sitting around playing ps2 id much rather be out stalking a monster buck i am a bit chubby but im healthy and thats good.

Johnnybear
01-16-2006, 07:25 AM
So is it legal to take my 9 year old son out on a hunt with me if he has no gun or am I going to get fined and go to jail if we bump into a C.O.?

buckslayer
01-16-2006, 07:46 AM
So is it legal to take my 9 year old son out on a hunt with me if he has no gun or am I going to get fined and go to jail if we bump into a C.O.?

yes it is legal and no you wont have a problem
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2635/20060116101537gavins20first20d.th.jpg (http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20060116101537gavins20first20d.jpg)
this is my sons first deer at 10 years old and he hunted with me lots before that (just along for the ride not shooting)also my daughter loves going out too (since she was 3)

Johnnybear
01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks buckslayer,
I think I'll ask my son what he thinks about coming with me this year and not just scouting.

rock
01-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Both my kids where involved in outdoor activities when they where very young, the younger the better, now I have one that out fishes me while the other out hunts me, thats great in my books. To see there injoyment in the outdoors is enough for me. And I always am willing to go out of my way to teach new and older people the enjoyment of either the hunt or the big catch. Thats probably the most enjoyable part is seeing them have a great time. Took a fellow huntin this year and we where fortunate enough to get a moose, that is my son, I'm pretty sure he's hooked for life now.

moose hunter
01-16-2006, 08:37 PM
well i know kids dont liek to get forced into things as i am one but, if you have a daughter thta likes to hunt and she my age;-) lol jk fellas altho....

rock
01-16-2006, 08:43 PM
[quote=moose hunter]well i know kids dont liek to get forced into things as i am one but, if you have a daughter thta likes to hunt and she my age;-) lol jk fellas altho....[/quote
:neutral: Sorry moosehunter my daughter is quite a bit older than you.

moose hunter
01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
i gots a gf that i like to take shooting, only chick i nkow that doesnt slap me if i say i killed a deer ot one of my buddies and they hear it lol

farside
01-17-2006, 11:17 PM
When I was still a single mom, my daughter had no choice but to go hunting with me as I couldn't afford a babysitter and couldn't get one for 5:00am either. It use to drive me crazy sometimes but she was a much better "walker" than a "sitter". Can you say FIDGET. Even after I got married she still had to go as she was still too young to stay home and 5:00am still scared babysitters. Sometimes she would walk with the hubby and sometimes with me. The bad part is that now at 14 she only comes if she wants to and that isn't enough as far as I am concerned but you can't push.

She had her 1st big buck in her sights this fall and after stalking him for about 1 hr she finally lost him in the gloom of the forest. It just got too dark and although she managed to crawl to within 30yds of him he never presented her with a good shot (crossbow). As she is kneeling with the bow proped up and her eye to the scope she says to me in a totally breathless whisper "Mommy, I'm shaking". After we walked out of the bush I asked her if she now understood why I liked hunting. I got a big grin and a nod. She didn't even realize how long she had been crawling around after that buck and what she had been crawling through. Then we came home and she checked her make-up and started to watch "What Not To Wear". 14 year old girls are very strange

CHilko21
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
i gots a gf that i like to take shooting, only chick i nkow that doesnt slap me if i say i killed a deer ot one of my buddies and they hear it lol

wow bud you need to get out more...I can think of 5 friends of mine, as well as a number of female cousins and a couple aunts who are very into hunting. Out of the 3 moose LEH tags my family drew this year, my aunt got a bigger bull than either of my uncles. There aren't enough girls who do hunt, but we're not exactly non existant.

3kills
01-18-2006, 06:27 AM
my ex was anti and i got her into hunting...i learned alot about hunting from my grandma and i know lots of other females that hunt..my current gf doesnt hunt but she said she will go out with me for drives some times...and i know she can shoot she use to be a marksmen in the cadets...

PGKris
01-19-2006, 02:04 PM
wow bud you need to get out more...I can think of 5 friends of mine, as well as a number of female cousins and a couple aunts who are very into hunting. Out of the 3 moose LEH tags my family drew this year, my aunt got a bigger bull than either of my uncles. There aren't enough girls who do hunt, but we're not exactly non existant.

Yeah and you live in 150 mile, deer hunting heaven. This is PG, PG sucks the big one. It's not cool to kill animals in PG. Unless you're over 35.

Gus
01-19-2006, 10:01 PM
This is PG, PG sucks the big one.

Are you crappen on my town? Anyway, I think you need to hang out with a new crowd.

PGKris
01-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah I'm crappin on this town. Everyone here hates hunters! Except hunters! I'm also gettin a new shotgun and you ain't :razz: :razz: Loser!

moose hunter
01-20-2006, 11:18 AM
ive been hunting grouse since i was 7 didnt get a juniors and then when i was 11 i got my core i think its ok to shoot grouse as long as the cos arent around but who is anybody kidding if they say ni never shot thme whne i was little goin hunting with my dad?

Gus
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah I'm crappin on this town. Everyone here hates hunters! Except hunters! I'm also gettin a new shotgun and you ain't :razz: :razz: Loser!

I personnally don't know anyone here that HATES hunters. Anyway, Ive already got a shotgun, but let me know when you get it so I can try it out.

I've been going hunting with my dad since I was old enough to ride in the truck. I also been shooting grouse (under direct supervision of course) since i was 7. I feel that as long as we can keep gettin the young people out to the woods and getting them hooked on it,hunting will always have a future. I also know people that are in there 20's or older that have never hunted before but are just now getting in to it and love it.

moose hunter
01-20-2006, 01:58 PM
lol stop this bickering ladies nobody in P.G hates hunters well not every body accept hunters tons of ppl here hunt for a bloody living

3kills
02-02-2006, 09:22 PM
i m so excited my 6 year old step daughter asked me last night if she can shoot a bear...i told her yes when she was 10 she got excited and said i m already 6 and was happy that she only had to wait 4 more years....lets just hope he mind doesnt change...

PGKris
02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I work in a grocery store. A lot of people want to string me up when I tell my buddies at work about shooting and hunting. There are a lot of PETA terrorists in this town. Gun is ordered and on the way. How long did it take to get yours? We ordered from wholesale sports yesterday.