PDA

View Full Version : Unfriendlys

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Went out hunting on my quad yesterday afternoon. Came across an old guy in his truck and we chatted it up for 5 minutes. Seemed like a really decent guy. Then I carried on my way. Later, as I was headed back, I passed two different trucks with young guys in them. I gave them a nod and wave and they wouldn't so much as even look in my direction. What is up some people these days?????

.300WSMImpact!
10-30-2009, 08:13 PM
the young guys think that about the older guys too,

BearSniper
10-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Too bad

Likely not hunters

Gangsters looking/scouting for places to grow dope.

Any time I walk in the bush, even to go fishing, photography, or fresh air, I ALWAYS carry a gun these days.

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm not old, I'm in my mid thirties, which is considered old to a young 20 something I guess. But yesterday, I was dressed in a full body insulated suit with hoodie and face mask. The only thing you could see of me was my eyes so it would have been hard to determine my age.

These guys were just plain unfriendly. Acknowledgement or a wave would have been fine.

Blainer
10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
But yesterday, I was dressed in a full body insulated suit with hoodie and face mask. The only thing you could see of me was my eyes .

These guys were just plain unfriendly. Acknowledgement or a wave would have been fine.Possibly it was because of what you were wearing?

PGK
10-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Lots of old guys not waving at this 20-something. I must be out there tryin to find a place to grow dope :roll:

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Lots of old guys not waving at this 20-something. I must be out there tryin to find a place to grow dope :roll:

Well PGK, if I see you, I will wave, even if you are looking for place to grow dope.:-P

KB90
10-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Possibly it was because of what you were wearing?

hahahaha... thats good

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Team up with rishu, he catches lots of good fish fertilizer.

killman
10-30-2009, 08:36 PM

They are probably from this site:razz:

M.Dean
10-30-2009, 08:37 PM
The guys that didn't wave were far better hunters than you, they know way more, have better everything than you and don't lower them selves to wave at your kind, that's all!!! I get that quite a bit, we shouldn't be on there roads,or hunting in there area's, and god forbid if you have a animal down!!! They'll drive right by, not so much as crack a smile or nod there head, as they pass you can imagine them tell there bum buddy in the seat beside him that he'd never shoot a dink buck like that one!!! People like that really push my F***.U. button!!!

DropTines
10-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Too bad

Likely not hunters

Any time I walk in the bush, even to go fishing, photography, or fresh air, I ALWAYS carry a gun these days.
hahahaha holy, thats a little intense
________
BUY MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://www.vaporshop.com/mflb-vaporizer.html)

mark
10-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Went out hunting on my quad yesterday afternoon. Came across an old guy in his truck and we chatted it up for 5 minutes. Seemed like a really decent guy. Then I carried on my way. Later, as I was headed back, I passed two different trucks with young guys in them. I gave them a nod and wave and they wouldn't so much as even look in my direction. What is up some people these days?????

You feel the need to start a thread about this, because someone didnt wave to you??? :confused:

H.T.F.U. buckmeister!

ruger#1
10-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Must of been that pink insulated suit.:redface:

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 10:09 PM
You feel the need to start a thread about this, because someone didnt wave to you??? :confused:

H.T.F.U. buckmeister!

Don't you mean G.T.F.U.?

Gee....what did I do to you mark???? I'm just making conversation about what I experienced while hunting. I thought that was acceptable in this particular forum???? So I came across some people, I tried to be friendly, they were rude in return. That happens, I know. I am grown up and I was raised to be polite. What is wrong with questioning a lack of it?
I felt this Hunting site would be a safe place to post a comment like that without getting belittled, but I guess I was wrong.:icon_frow

BlacktailStalker
10-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Too bad

Likely not hunters

Thats the dumbest thing I've seen posted.

aletheuo
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Youngin's dont understand a thing unless you text 'em.

mark
10-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Don't you mean G.T.F.U.?

Gee....what did I do to you mark???? I'm just making conversation about what I experienced while hunting. I thought that was acceptable in this particular forum???? So I came across some people, I tried to be friendly, they were rude in return. That happens, I know. I am grown up and I was raised to be polite. What is wrong with questioning a lack of it?
I felt this Hunting site would be a safe place to post a comment like that without getting belittled, but I guess I was wrong.:icon_frow

Jeez man, I wasnt belittling ya, ya just seemed like a softy, didnt mean to hurt yer feelings.
If this happened to me in the bush, I would have forgotten about it in about 2 seconds!

BTW im not sure what GTFU means....do you know what HTFU means, did you catch the "sensitive men" thread.
I was reminded of it when I read yer post thats all!
Please dont quit the forum because of my comments! :lol:

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Youngin's dont understand a thing unless you text 'em.

I guess ya gotta speak their language. :lol:

I watched a teenage girl text the other day, she must've been doing 30 words a minute. Now that takes practice!

RiverBoatFantasy
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I guess ya gotta speak their language. :lol:

I watched a teenage girl text the other day, she must've been doing 30 words a minute. Now that takes practice!

Oral skills or finger skills - its all good.

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Jeez man, I wasnt belittling ya, ya just seemed like a softy, didnt mean to hurt yer feelings.
If this happened to me in the bush, I would have forgotten about it in about 2 seconds!

BTW im not sure what GTFU means....do you know what HTFU means, did you catch the "sensitive men" thread.
I was reminded of it when I read yer post thats all!
Please dont quit the forum because of my comments! :lol:

Sorry, I didn't catch that thread originally, but I just looked it up. It does seem appropriate. I thought you mistyped H for G, and in "Grow".

No hard feelings...and I don't quit forums that easily. :wink:

mark
10-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't catch that thread originally, but I just looked it up. It does seem appropriate. I thought you mistyped H for G, and in "Grow".

No hard feelings...and I don't quit forums that easily. :wink:

Well if thought I made a typo, I can see how that would of been insulting, glad we cleared that one up! :smile:

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Just so I am clear to everyone on this subject. I come from a small town where most people know each other and are relatively friendly. The place I was hunting in was a little out of the way, a little hard to find, and would only be frequented by the locals. I felt I was snubbed by the locals so that ticked me off. If that happened somewhere else i wouldn't have minded as much.

Jelvis
10-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Buck that's happening a lot in society now, cell phones, heavy deth metal, drinkin, partying with PEERS, look that word up some one on ah, the web.
Young people don't want to be seen with their parents or old people they can't stand old people. Member when you were 16 ?
So don't rely on these hill billy's to get along, like the Hatfield's and McCoys
Jel -- What you lookin at -- ? lol you know they did'nt even see your vehicle never mind your smile.

Jonas111
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
The young guys were probably drinking a few beers and didn't want to attract attention to themselves. I am in the middle like you, mid 30's and I like both young and old. Happy to see so many respectful young guys out there hunting. I know there is few disrespectful ones as well but I think that can go with any age.

All in all I would hope to see more waves as well. I was raised in a small town and I am still very respectful of my elders. Serious knowledge with some of those guys.

If I see you out on the trail I would be sure to wave and possibly stop for a chat.

Buckmeister
10-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Some people like to wave with their middle finger stuck up in the air. :shock:

dave_fras
10-31-2009, 08:43 AM
it doesnt kinda bother me how so many ppl think all the young guys grow dope!... i hunt 3 or 4 days a week... and ive met MANY older hunters that seem like they have a stick up their ass!... its not just us young guys!... i go out of my way to way whenever i see another hunter!.. but ive also see some guys in their 40s park their truck in the middle of the road so other hunters cant get by!... i know theres lots of guys my age that can be little pricks too!... just dont think its just us!

THE SWEDE
10-31-2009, 08:56 AM
My favorite thing to do is slow down like im goin to talk to them..Then roll up the window and drive away..I go for peace and quiet.Not to listen to some roadhunters lies:lol:Goin to be the same two questions everytime "Seen anything"or "Get anything"

.300WSMImpact!
10-31-2009, 09:13 AM
i am in my thirty's as well and i find not many people in the bush stop to talk, i wave to all and would stop to talk to all, hope to see you in the bush

Stone Sheep Steve
10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
This thread reminds me of when Crocodile Dundee went to New Yory City and was alarmed by the lack of handshakers in the streets:-).

SSS

BearStump
10-31-2009, 09:34 AM
it does put a sour taste in your mouth whe its 7:15 am, your still hunting a decomitioned road, being very quiet and limiting movment while glassing.
Then some jackass pulls up out of nowhere on his rhino with a hole in the exhaust and has to yell for you to hear him "HEY, BUDDY HOWS IT GOING, HAVE YA SEEN MUCH YET THIS MORNING." are you f*****g kidding me. some people are so frickin stupid. you can be sure if there was any deer around their not here now.
that one put me in a shitty mood for a while. but for the most part being friendly and talking (quietly) with other hunters that you run into is all part of the great exp.
might even learn a thing or two from an old guy that you run into in the woods, I know I have.

horshur
10-31-2009, 10:23 AM
I find it takes 5 days for most folks to shed the pace of the city...it is hard to get out of the rut of what it takes to survive in the less than humane modern world......
And of course 5 days may not be enough if you are crowding the end of the hunt with nothing bagged worrying about the work you left 5 days ago and the money spent for the trip without anything to show.
The rush and busyness is anti social and the antithesis of a good hunt throw in ego and competiveness and it is a recipe for" better off staying home"

We need to leave the modern trappings at home all of us!

THE SWEDE
10-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Andy..Many of us city slickers dont want to hear about the "Relations" you hicks are having with the kin folk:razz:

Phil
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
I run in to a few of the "unfriendly" type while out and about too. I give everyone a wave because you never know when you might bump in to them again, need help dragging a deer, turning your atv right side up or when you need a ride back to camp.

bushape
10-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Was up in Merritt last wknd with the wife and as we headed up up a road on Fri for the evening hunt we noticed a truck come flying up behind us. Instead of easing back and giving some distance they stayed on pace with us, I assumed because there was a fork in the road approaching.When we came to the Y I stayed left which goes up high into some clearings and as I did so they gunned it and went down right, which parallels us for a ways. Within seconds of this there was an incredible boom which startled us as our windows were down. One of them fired their rifle off which would have had to be from inside the truck as this transpired so quickly. WTF is with that! Obviously they were PO'd we went up to their spot. And yes guaranteed they were locals. Kept my eyes out for them the remainder of the wknd but no luck.

frenchbar
10-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Was up in Merritt last wknd with the wife and as we headed up up a road on Fri for the evening hunt we noticed a truck come flying up behind us. Instead of easing back and giving some distance they stayed on pace with us, I assumed because there was a fork in the road approaching.When we came to the Y I stayed left which goes up high into some clearings and as I did so they gunned it and went down right, which parallels us for a ways. Within seconds of this there was an incredible boom which startled us as our windows were down. One of them fired their rifle off which would have had to be from inside the truck as this transpired so quickly. WTF is with that! Obviously they were PO'd we went up to their spot. And yes guaranteed they were locals. Kept my eyes out for them the remainder of the wknd but no luck.
All us up country locals shoot guns off in the vehickles:roll:

mike_b
10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Well PGK, if I see you, I will wave, even if you are looking for place to grow dope.:-P

One finger wave:wink:

mike_b
10-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I run in to a few of the "unfriendly" type while out and about too. I give everyone a wave because you never know when you might bump in to them again, need help dragging a deer, turning your atv right side up or when you need a ride back to camp.

Exactly....that's the same reason I do as well, not to mention just to be friendly as well. If I pass you on the road somewhere in the bush, you'll get a friendly wave or nod, completed with a smile:smile:

Gateholio
10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
I wave and hand out lollipops with happy faces on them, spreading good cheer wherever I go.:grin:

BearSniper
10-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey Blacktailstalker...................

People do grow dope in the bush, dump garbage and bodies in the bush, and they'll spike your tires if you get to close to their areas. I've found illegal shell casings and have heard automatic gunfire in the bush in several regions while out hunting/scouting. Where do you think the gangsters do thier target practice ?

Last week one member had a gun pointed at him up north by an angry group.

Lots of bad crap happens in the bush, and in cities, and I've seen a lifetime of it . Suffice it to say I know an unfriendly when I see one.

Anyone way in the bush on a foresty road or trail, who doesn't return a friendly wave from a hunter, has either a guilty conscience, is a poacher, a sociopath, or is up to no good. Period.

Gateholio
10-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Anyone way in the bush on a foresty road or trail, who doesn't return a friendly wave from a hunter, has either a guilty conscience, is a poacher, a sociopath, or is up to no good. Period.

Or maybe he is driving, and isn't paying attention to you...:tongue:

BearSniper
10-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Actually true too

Half the drivers out there don't pay attention on a good day......:-?

RiverBoatFantasy
10-31-2009, 02:57 PM

People do grow dope in the bush, dump garbage and bodies in the bush, and they'll spike your tires if you get to close to their areas. I've found illegal shell casings and have heard automatic gunfire in the bush in several regions while out hunting/scouting. Where do you think the gangsters do thier target practice ?

Lots of bad crap happens in the bush, and in cities, and I've seen a lifetime of it . Suffice it to say I know an unfriendly when I see one.

Congratulations. You have managed to post really stupid stuff. Welcome to the club.

frenchbar
10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Congratulations. You have managed to post really stupid stuff. Welcome to the club.
I dont wave cause im just a miserable prick..haha

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2009, 04:15 PM
I wave and hand out lollipops with happy faces on them, spreading good cheer wherever I go.:grin:

The cops posted this composite sketch of some guy that was handing out lollipops. It's all coming together now...

http://www.winfreegiftcertificates.com/newsletter/bigeyes2.jpg

PKernohan
10-31-2009, 05:14 PM
The cops posted this composite sketch of some guy that was handing out lollipops. It's all coming together now...

http://www.winfreegiftcertificates.com/newsletter/bigeyes2.jpg

Hahaha crazy derelict sasquatch handing out lolipops in the bush........

anyway i'm 22 years old and have been raised by my parents to always respect my elders. But I have to say not all "young guys" are a**holes , mind you there are a lot of them who think they are better than everyone else. But there are also a lot of "old-timers" who are just as big of a**holes
as a lot of us "young guys".

I just wanted to say we are not all bad. I would be glad to talk to anyone i see out in the bush. I hope you all take care

-Cheers

hunter1947
10-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Maybe they never saw you wave your hand ???.

BearSniper
10-31-2009, 07:49 PM
RiverboatFantasy

Thank you for your judgement Sir.

Seems to me others post their observations, or thoughts on this forum.

I didn't realize mine were nearly illegal.

By the way, I've had a few PM's agreeing with my observations in the bush. So I can't be that far off.

zimbu
10-31-2009, 08:57 PM
it does put a sour taste in your mouth whe its 7:15 am, your still hunting a decomitioned road, being very quiet and limiting movment while glassing.
Then some jackass pulls up out of nowhere on his rhino with a hole in the exhaust and has to yell for you to hear him "HEY, BUDDY HOWS IT GOING, HAVE YA SEEN MUCH YET THIS MORNING." are you f*****g kidding me. some people are so frickin stupid. you can be sure if there was any deer around their not here now.
that one put me in a shitty mood for a while. but for the most part being friendly and talking (quietly) with other hunters that you run into is all part of the great exp.
might even learn a thing or two from an old guy that you run into in the woods, I know I have.

Yup. That one pisses me off too. I get up a 5 am so I can be at my spot and shut down well before dawn, doze for a half hour while the sun comes up and then start glassing. An hour after the sun comes up a couple guys come zipping up the clearcut in a pickup towards me:roll:, get past about 80yds and almost go over the bank turning around at the end.:biggrin::evil: One guy gets out and starts yelling instructions to the driver.:mad: Gimme a break people! If you see one set of fresh tire tracks in the snow going up a little spur road to nowere, go find some other place to screw around! At the very least don't deliberately hunt overtop someone else when you see them quietly spotting. I wave to everyone in the bush whether I like the looks of them or not, but I did not wave at those morons.

My biggest pet peeve is when I'm driving up a main logging road graded for 60-80KM/HR and come up behind another hunter or firewood crew that thinks it's a big joke to drive 45KM/HR in the middle of the road and not let anyone pass. May a million rocks hit their windshields when I find a place to pass.:twisted: One guy made me laugh. He was hogging the road to the point of being completely in the oncoming lane. I didn't pass him on the right, I just stayed in my lane and he went by going slow on the wrong side of the road.:biggrin:

On a more positive note, I did run into some very pleasant people so far this season, namely, about half the other hunters out there, logging truck and lowbed drivers, a CO, and a crew lighting slash piles.

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Some people like to wave with their middle finger stuck up in the air. :shock:

It was Jelvis. 8-)

Kurch!
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Word......

LYKTOHUNT
11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
The guys that didn't wave were far better hunters than you, they know way more, have better everything than you and don't lower them selves to wave at your kind, that's all!!! I get that quite a bit, we shouldn't be on there roads,or hunting in there area's, and god forbid if you have a animal down!!! They'll drive right by, not so much as crack a smile or nod there head, as they pass you can imagine them tell there bum buddy in the seat beside him that he'd never shoot a dink buck like that one!!! People like that really push my F***.U. button!!!
Yea and they probably think you are a damn camo wearing road hunter:wink:

GoatGuy
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM

I believe the originator of the post was hunting four legged creatures.

FlyingHigh
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM

now why would anyone think this is a stupid post? anoyone who does is plain ignorant. it's true. when my dad fought forest fires a few years ago, they came across a bunch of grow ops in the bush. and yes, drug dealers tend to be nasty types and a touch sentimental when it comes to their crops.

the last paragraph is a little over the top, i admit. sometimes people are just grumpy, or anti-social. s'ok. i'm 20 and i tend to wave at most everyone i pass and i get a wave back most times. if i don't, no big deal. my buddy doesn't wave at all, and he's just hunting, it's not that he's up to no good. sure, it's a 2 inch move of the hand, but hey, if he doesn't want to wave, who cares?

as for his first post in which he said he carries a gun everytime he goes in the bush...so do i. i don't expect a gang banger to start shooting at me. i'm legally allowed to carry a gun and i will do so. simply because i can. also, if hiking in bear country, i'd trust a gun before bear spray. if for some reason a gun isn't possible, some parks and such, i'll carry a fixed blade knife. only a true fudd and narrow minded person would criticize someone for doing anything like this.

Jeffb
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Had this happen this past weekend, passed a ol guy in a truck with a quad just sittin on the side of the road. Got to parking at the bottom of a deactivated road just before light, so start hiking in being quite of course then i hear a quad idling...lo and behold heres this guy coming up behind us, as he passes he smiles and says good morning like there is nothing wrong with what he is doing...just plain rude. I figure he was pissed cause we got parked and up the road before he even uloaded about 1.5km back and figured because he could beat us up to our spot he would ..such a A-hole move

dutchie
11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I always wave, have a quick chat, or in someway aknowlege that the other person is there.

Life is too short to be a miserable prick and if I do run into them I am not going to let them ruin my day in the bush, I don't care who they are.

What goes around comes around. Remember we can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.

The other day we ran into a couple of guys that had a cracked block in thier quad and they were about 10km from the road. So what did we do? towed them back to the road and then drove back and kept hunting.

A general concensus is that a bad day in the bush is better then a good day at work?

If you are miserable and bitter in the bush, always picking people apart for assumptions you have... I would hate to know what you are like at home:shock:

Dutchie

Jelvis
11-03-2009, 07:06 PM
All dependz if I'm hunting then I'm hunting, I can talk all day up town to anybody but in the bush is like a library - in respect keep it quiet and zip it as much as possible. If I saw a hunter on a hill and he saw me and we were in prime location for bucks, why would he or I hollar at each other or even wave, just keep quiet and hunt.
If I'm on a road walking to a spot and I hear a vehicle, sometimes I avoid them, til there past so not to cause a ruckus --
Why would I be driving along waving at other drivers ?
When I'm trying to get to a spot before someone else parks there ?
Most people just like talking and standing around outside with a thermos of double double coffee and having a smoke.
Nothing wrong with it, a buck could run across the flat, I've seen em in season do it, so hunting is'nt just walking your legs into the ground and hurting your self doing it.
It's planning, follow up, get out, hunt, look, listen, walk, creep and lift them legs high whoa slippery to boot. lol-
A good carpenter never blames his tools and a good deer hunter never blames his scope -
Jel -- sight it, if in doubt, hold off. Carry on hunting if you can't or won't get closer

Dannybuoy
11-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Had this happen this past weekend, passed a ol guy in a truck with a quad just sittin on the side of the road. Got to parking at the bottom of a deactivated road just before light, so start hiking in being quite of course then i hear a quad idling...lo and behold heres this guy coming up behind us, as he passes he smiles and says good morning like there is nothing wrong with what he is doing...just plain rude. I figure he was pissed cause we got parked and up the road before he even uloaded about 1.5km back and figured because he could beat us up to our spot he would ..such a A-hole move
actually it sounds like you were in his spot ( if one can claim a spot?) sounds like he likes to road hunt on his quad which is a very good way to cover lots of ground and can be very productive .(right Fisher dude?)

shoot2kill
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
The problem with the young guys is a lot of them think that they are king sh** and they don't have to show respect to anyone. That is the fault of parents today who don't know or care how to raise the kids properly.
The problem with the old guys is they think anyone that looks young is a kid who thinks he's king sh** and isn't going to show them respect anyways.
PS. my hunting buddy who's 21 and me at 38yrs old just came back from cranbrook area and every one up there was freindly. I think the further away from major towns and cities you get usally the BS slows down a bit. Except for some locals who don't like seeing "outsiders" in their back country.