PDA

View Full Version : winter ranges

triggr31
10-30-2009, 01:37 PM
wow the muleys are moving i seen at least 80-90 deer in eight hours of hunting !!!

sparkymacker
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Wow...do you live in Clearwater?:shock:

RiverBoatFantasy
10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Gang Ranch/Empire Valley. It is happening BIG time right now.

muledeercrazy
10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks for the heads up!

hunter11
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
how about Pemberton then?

mark
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
how about Pemberton then?

The snow is piling up bigtime in the higher ground, the deer are moving fast, if they're not in the winter range yet they will be very soon!

Mulies have hit the winter range in the Okanagan, its the earliest Ive ever seen it, gonna be a banner year for big bucks for sure! :biggrin::mrgreen::-D

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
The snow is piling up bigtime in the higher ground, the deer are moving fast, if they're not in the winter range yet they will be very soon!

Mulies have hit the winter range in the Okanagan, its the earliest Ive ever seen it, gonna be a banner year for big bucks for sure! :biggrin::mrgreen::-D

I think I may just have to quit my job!!!:cool:

SSS

frenchbar
10-30-2009, 03:24 PM

SSS SSS i have a freind who would quit his job every fall just so he could hunt for days on end ..come dec he would find another..that was back when there was jobs in the logging industry mind you .:biggrin:

okanagan
10-30-2009, 03:31 PM
wow the muleys are moving i seen at least 80-90 deer in eight hours of hunting !!!

Ditto where I hunt as well ,

Counted 34 doe this morning and 2 bucks in only 2 hours :biggrin:

mark
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM

SSS

I guess I basically did, its gonna be way to good out there, my mind couldn't focus on anything else anyways right now!

If yer not too fussy you should be able to getter done in a day!

Ditto where I hunt as well ,

Counted 34 doe this morning and 2 bucks in only 2 hours :biggrin:

Thats really funny you posted this as I hunted for 2 hours this morn also, saw 35 does and 2 small bucks.
So I beat you by 1 doe :tongue:.

boxhitch
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Saw my first large 4 pointer today, at about 1600 masl. Not a lot of snow up there, maybe 30 cm of settled warm snow, +3 at 4 pm., light rain.
Fresh bull tracks there too.
These guys are far from heading to winter range. its October !

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Saw my first large 4 pointer today, at about 1600 masl. Not a lot of snow up there, maybe 30 cm of settled warm snow, +3 at 4 pm., light rain.
Fresh bull tracks there too.
These guys are far from heading to winter range. its October !

Can I still quit?? :smile:

I assume he wasn't in a legal hunting area????...or are you being the tight-lipped usual suspect???:p

SSS

300H&H
10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
SSS - I hear by give you permision "to quit".

Now, go get um big boy !

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
SSS - I hear by give you permision "to quit".

Now, go get um big boy !

Cool!:smile:

Can I borrow some gas money??:smile:

SSS

Laurence_Erickson
10-30-2009, 07:00 PM
SSS I have gas ,I see you know all the good spots I'll pick you up .:)

BCrams
10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Cool!:smile:

Can I borrow some gas money??:smile:

SSS

Jeeze. Turning into FD. You should still be in shape from the August photo safari.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
SSS I have gas ,I see you know all the good spots I'll pick you up .:)

LE-That was a good spot?? I'll make a mental note:wink:.

Too bad all the trees are gone:?

SSS

MattB
10-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Deer are still scattered. I was up around 6000 feet today and cut a big buck track in the snow. Its going to take a bit more than 2 feet of snow to push them off the mountains ;-)

Buckmeister
10-30-2009, 09:36 PM
The snow is at ball height now where we usually hunt Mule's.
Dang!!! I'm driving to Vancouver tommorow so my weekend hunting is shot.

boxhitch
10-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Can I still quit?? :smile:

I assume he wasn't in a legal hunting area????...or are you being the tight-lipped usual suspect???:p

SSSTime was a problem and he didn't want to wait around til light. Lots of moonlit action going on, and will be worse next week.

Chuck
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Lots of moonlit action going on, and will be worse next week.[/QUOTE]

That's what I noticed too! Tracks in groups heading in a direction along the skid roads - not stopping to feed and laid down before first light. Eight inches of snow is moving them somewhere.

bozzdrywall
10-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Iam in the ek and i have not seen any big bucks yet. Iam still waiting till the last week of the season to go for my buck. But thats not to say iam not looking. been out every day for a week now and the bucks just have not come down for the does yet. we hike up some pretty big mountians in search of the buggers but we are having no luck. I read some were that the big bucks will stay up high till they must come down generly after the sheep and goats come out of the back country. and when they come down they dont stay down for long just long enough to get er done then back up they go. if thats true we still have a good 9-10 days till we will start seeing the big boys iam talking 175+ bucks. You know the big old stinky ones. Just my 2 cents

Blainer
10-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Iam in the ek and i have not seen any big bucks yet. Iam still waiting till the last week of the season to go for my buck. But thats not to say iam not looking. been out every day for a week now and the bucks just have not come down for the does yet. we hike up some pretty big mountians in search of the buggers but we are having no luck. I read some were that the big bucks will stay up high till they must come down generly after the sheep and goats come out of the back country. and when they come down they dont stay down for long just long enough to get er done then back up they go. if thats true we still have a good 9-10 days till we will start seeing the big boys iam talking 175+ bucks. You know the big old stinky ones. Just my 2 centsIn region 8,we are almost into the last week of the season.
Season ends Nov.10th

Stone Sheep Steve
10-31-2009, 06:47 PM
In region 8,we are almost into the last week of the season.
Season ends Nov.10th

Forecast is for crappy weather(nice) right until Friday. 10C out right now and forecast high of 11C for tomorrow. We may see another snow free finish to the rifle muley season in most of the Reg 8 winter ranges.:(

SSS

MattB
10-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Forecast is for crappy weather(nice) right until Friday. 10C out right now and forecast high of 11C for tomorrow. We may see another snow free finish to the rifle muley season in most of the Reg 8 winter ranges.:(

SSS
Didnt stop me from getting my best buck last year :wink:. Just gotta get out there and hunt. Im working tomorrow, but where im working i saw hawg tracks 2 days ago. Gotta love laying out cutblocks at 6000+ feet elevation in open stands, my gun will be with me!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Didnt stop me from getting my best buck last year :wink:. Just gotta get out there and hunt. Im working tomorrow, but where im working i saw hawg tracks 2 days ago. Gotta love laying out cutblocks at 6000+ feet elevation in open stands, my gun will be with me!

Now that's the kind of job that I wouldn't mind working 40 days in a row:).

I wouldn't know anything about your buck from last yr since you never posted it here:wink:

SSS

hunter1947
11-01-2009, 05:49 AM
If your in the right spot at the time there passing through you will be in deer haven ,I would love to be in the middle of a mule deer migration one of these years :rolleyes:.

boxhitch
11-01-2009, 07:28 PM
That's what I noticed too! Tracks in groups heading in a direction along the skid roads - not stopping to feed and laid down before first light. Eight inches of snow is moving them somewhere.
Lots of sign in week-old snow, some fresh. Sure was noisy this a.m., frozen tater-chip snow. Best plan was to sit and let them come, but realized too late the does were using the road and the buck was on a parralel trail. Doh!

boxhitch
11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Gotta love laying out cutblocks at 6000+ feet elevation in open stands, my gun will be with me!Sounds like too slow for working and to fast for hunting ? Nice place to be, though.