PDA

View Full Version : New hunter just looking for some helpful advice.

PKernohan
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I am brand new into the world of hunting and was looking to learn as much as I can, thats how I came across this site. Its great to read everyones advice and I am learning lots. But I was wondering if you fine people could help me out with some questions I have.

A friend took me out hunting this year for my first time, we went on a 4 day trip up to Sunday Summit near princton. We saw a few does, and a good sized black bear that was hanging around our camp, But no bucks. We are thinking about heading up there again for a day trip now that the rut has started, are the deer going to be hanging around up high on sunday summit or will they head to lower elevation? My friend is confident and is bound bent and determined to get somthing out of there but any help or suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks for the help.

Blainer
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
What makes you think the rut has started?
With very little snow,I would think the big bucks will still be high.
If there is snow,tracks will tell the tale.
Good optics are the most important tool,and generally needed to identify a 4 point.
Good luck

Islandeer
10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Welcome,

I don't know this area other than driving thru everyyear. But this time of year mule deer are affected by snow depth and by the rut. If there is deep snow up top alot of the deer will begin to move to there winter ranges,lower elevations. You need to know where this is. Obviously lots of tracks in the snow tells you where they may be heading. As for the rut, find lots of does and you will find bucks sniffing around. Get off the roads,high ridges with southfacinf timber below could work. Slash edges too. Mulies will be found in steep and nasty places so don't be shy.

There are lot's of good guys on this site that hunt this area that may give you some more accurate local knowledge.

Good luck and enjoy.

muledeercrazy
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
What makes you think the rut has started?
With very little snow,I would think the big bucks will still be high.
If there is snow,tracks will tell the tale.
Good optics are the most important tool,and generally needed to identify a 4 point.
Good luck

all good points except the comment on the rut. The same thing as the ministry biologists would be a good bet on why he believes the rut is in affect.. why would you write something like that and then not comment on it? The rut is definetly here, and the bucks are very likely close to the chasing phase, as huntwriter would put it. Although it is probably imposible to pinpoint the stage of the rut by the date, it is a safe bet the bucks are with the does at this point. Region 5 is closed from Nov 10-20 this year because the ministry believes that this is likely to be the peak of the rut. The rut is not some magic trick that turns on for one week and then goes away. It is a series of different types of behaviour that is influenced in ways we cannot acurately predict. Sunlight, weather, geography, genetics, all play some part in the timing of the rut. So if someone was say planning a trip for next weekend, its safe to say that the rut will be influencing the way the deer are behaving. Is it beneficial? Probably! My experience with princeton is that their has to be a good dump of snow in the high country before you get migratory deer moving through in large numbers. The bucks are usually a few days behind the does. The does usually start moving within a few days after the first heavy snow fall. Regardless of whether you get into incredible migratory deer hunting, now is a great time to be out looking for big muley bucks! As well, it will give you a good oportunity to figure out what you might need for an even later, colder hunt next year!

PKernohan
10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Many thanks to all who replied. The knowledge and advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Blainer
10-30-2009, 02:15 PM
all good points except the comment on the rut. The same thing as the ministry biologists would be a good bet on why he believes the rut is in affect.. why would you write something like that and then not comment on it? The rut is definetly here, and the bucks are very likely close to the chasing phase, as huntwriter would put it. Although it is probably imposible to pinpoint the stage of the rut by the date, it is a safe bet the bucks are with the does at this point. Region 5 is closed from Nov 10-20 this year because the ministry believes that this is likely to be the peak of the rut. The rut is not some magic trick that turns on for one week and then goes away. It is a series of different types of behaviour that is influenced in ways we cannot acurately predict. Sunlight, weather, geography, genetics, all play some part in the timing of the rut. So if someone was say planning a trip for next weekend, its safe to say that the rut will be influencing the way the deer are behaving. Is it beneficial? Probably! My experience with princeton is that their has to be a good dump of snow in the high country before you get migratory deer moving through in large numbers. The bucks are usually a few days behind the does. The does usually start moving within a few days after the first heavy snow fall. Regardless of whether you get into incredible migratory deer hunting, now is a great time to be out looking for big muley bucks! As well, it will give you a good oportunity to figure out what you might need for an even later, colder hunt next year!I would agree to the above statement.
I was curious as to why they thought the rut was in effect.
I believe we will be entering the pre-rut stage soon and I will be in the general area for 8 of the final 10 days of the season.
This year has not been very cold and I believe the rut usually occurs after the season closes and the best bet for big bucks is closer the the 10th and would probably be better after the season closed.
With that said,I and my friends have harvested many decent bucks in the general area in November.
Best of luck

muledeercrazy
10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I would agree to the above statement.
I was curious as to why they thought the rut was in effect.
I believe we will be entering the pre-rut stage soon and I will be in the general area for 8 of the final 10 days of the season.
This year has not been very cold and I believe the rut usually occurs after the season closes and the best bet for big bucks is closer the the 10th and would probably be better after the season closed.
With that said,I and my friends have harvested many big bucks in the general area in November.
Best of luck

I have to agree with your comment about harvesting big bucks in november. I have allways done alot better in november myself. I also agree that chances are often far better after or at the very end of the season. I honestly dont know if you would call it the pre-rut this late, but i usually find that the bucks are with the does by this point in the year, and that very soon they will not tolerate the prescence of lesser bucks. That is an interesting subject though, as i have seen several bigger bucks together with larger groups of does in mid november and never understood how that worked. I wish i knew!

Blainer
10-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I have to agree with your comment about harvesting big bucks in november. I have allways done alot better in november myself. I also agree that chances are often far better after or at the very end of the season. I honestly dont know if you would call it the pre-rut this late, but i usually find that the bucks are with the does by this point in the year, and that very soon they will not tolerate the prescence of lesser bucks. That is an interesting subject though, as i have seen several bigger bucks together with larger groups of does in mid november and never understood how that worked. I wish i knew!I believe the bucks that are with the does this early are not the bucks that will breed these does.I don't think the big boys come out to play untill closer to the actual rut.
If you hunt the Peace,you can actually watch the rut unfold on the fields,pre-rut,bucks appear and start sparring,but when the actual rut is hot,the big boys never before seen show up like magic and chase the other bucks away.This is when the intense sparring takes place,not the little fork bucks and small 3 and 4 points,but the big boys.
This is just my interpretation.
I would like to know what Dana,Mark,Humble Hunter and the many other big buck mulie chasers from this site think?

Big Lew
10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I believe the bucks that are with the does this early are not the bucks that will breed these does.I don't think the big boys come out to play untill closer to the actual rut.
If you hunt the Peace,you can actually watch the rut unfold on the fields,pre-rut,bucks appear and start sparring,but when the actual rut is hot,the big boys never before seen show up like magic and chase the other bucks away.This is when the intense sparring takes place,not the little fork bucks and small 3 and 4 points,but the big boys.
This is just my interpretation.
I would like to know what Dana,Mark,Humble Hunter and the many other big buck mulie chasers from this site think?
Blainer, you hit it right on the mark!

horshur
10-31-2009, 02:39 PM
I watched two bucks sparring two weeks ago.......several ridges have fresh rubs. Seen a buck testing a doe two weeks ago as well though she wasn't interested.
Right now is a pretty good time to find a nice buck who will already be thick necked and strong smelling..

frenchbar
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Best time of the yr is right now ..bucks are scattered everywhere..high low and most in between ..i find hunting around the 45000ft level to be best..some bucks into the rut but most still a week away from getting at it ..

Piperdown
10-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Get out and have fun that's the main thing,good luck.

hunter1947
10-31-2009, 05:52 PM
There is only one way to find out and that is to head up there and find out http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Do lots of glassing and cover lots of ground thats all a person can do in order to find deer.

Jelvis
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
-- Bucks trophy size will be with the does in the marnin hours, then he pulls an Houdini and the younger sattalite bucks come in from the periphial and harass does but they won't stand still for the younger bucks.
Most breeding is done at night, same as migrating down.
Find does in heat, find bucks. All the places you have seen does and two points in October, a big buck will come and take over Rover.
So go back to that spot in end of October on for Mr. Big.
Full moon closes to the end of October is Estrus. Or go by the moe's chart for your area, they will tell you if you ask the right person at the right time.
Jelvis you won't get a buck sitting in the food fare at the local mall -
--got to get out in the forests and on the fsr's and get into a camp spot--

PKernohan
11-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Arlis if your reading this we seriously need to get out there....screw work this week lets go camping again. take another 5 day trip and nail a huge buck, lets be honest it needs to be done man.

PKernohan
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I sincerly appreciate you all taking some time out to give your 2 cents and help out a new hunter.

-Cheers