PDA

View Full Version : Chehalis and Harrison Lake area Report

recon
10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I know this area sees lots of 4x4 and and dirt bikes etc, but I have heard it can be good for Mulies.

I plan on heading in by quad up to 20 Mile Bay, head into the trails, go by foot from there up 20 Mile Cr, or something like that.

I was also considering hiking Eagle Cr north of Chehalis Lk

Anybody hear of any action out there this season?

Steeleco
10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
You won't find Mulies in either of the two areas, they're Blacktails!! I've not heard of any reports thus far this season, but they do hold lots of good animals. They are not easy to find, but they are there.

bsa30-06
10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
i've seen doe's on the east side of harrison,and a nice buck in the back of somebody else's truck over the last couple years but never had any luck with that area myself.I would agree with steeleco there in there but it aint going to be easy to find them.

10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
As Steelco says there are some good deer there. My Dad has one in the book from there and yes most are Blacktails.
However, late in the season Hybrid's from the Pemberton area do drop into the upper Harrison area. These can be some huge bodied bucks with cool kind of compact heavy antlers, with numerous points but the character of both deer can be noticed.

Hunt the slashes and draws, look for existing paths, them bucks are getting to rut right away quick here .... you never know.

We did used to find the later the better though.

Right into mid December.

Take chains if you can ..... a buddy and shovel.

CT

recon
10-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Great beta, thanks guys, so Blacktails hey... interesting. I do plan on going in fairly deep. Punishing if I get one! Ill be hauling it out solo... that's how I know Ill get something!

twoSevenO
10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I do quite a bit of 4x4 and camping on harrison and the animals are not easy to find! They seem to be more plentiful on the east side, even though there are more yahoos on that side.

Personally, i would not ride my quad all the way up the road to 20 mile bay. There is a lot of people who cut corners and i would not take the chance of getting clipped by one of them while i'm on a quad.

Secondly, most places in Harrison a quad is useless, because all places are either:
1) Accessible by truck
2) Not accessible by truck or quad and off on foot you go.

That is assuming you have any decent 4x4 truck. It is simply too thick in there to be driving around on a quad. So, the moment you park your truck, it's walking time.

There are some hills above 20 mile bay that climb way up ... over 1000m. I would try to go as high as you can!

As for snow, you are safe until mid-November. That is when that area gets its first dump of snow, and it can be upwards of 12". Until then, you don't really need to worry about it.

The bucks are around, not in very big numbers though, and not very easy to find. Its a good destination for a day trip, just don't assure your wife you're bringing venison for dinner ;)

Let me know how you do, i'm planning on heading up in the next little while. If you are confused and need a "spot" shoot me a PM, i know some deactivated logging roads that the yahoos stay out of and where i've seen tracks ;)

Stillhunting
10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I did some work on an Island in the middle of Harrison Lake, that was crawling with deer. I found several sheds as well, so there are decent numbers of bucks over there. Maybe you should use a boat and a mountain bike, if you want to get yourself a black-tail buck. Good luck,

SH.

takla1
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
ive taken bucks way up above tretheway creek,old logging road into the area but last time up it was somewhat grown in,lots of deadfall ect,tuff climb but if your in shape no prob.Get in there early as its a long climb up and plan on spending the day .blacktail country for sure!

twoSevenO
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
I did some work on an Island in the middle of Harrison Lake, that was crawling with deer. I found several sheds as well, so there are decent numbers of bucks over there. Maybe you should use a boat and a mountain bike, if you want to get yourself a black-tail buck. Good luck,

SH.

Yup, full of them. I heard it's near impossible to walk through that bush though as it is SOOOO thick!

BearStump
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
yah the bush on long island is real thick but there's a logging road that cuts right through the middle and quite a few trails to explore. if you go there dont get lost, it can be real easy to get lost with the thought in your head that its a small island.

recon
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah good points for sure, especially regarding the thickness of the bush. I am fit and willing to press on into the back hiking areas such as the Mt Grainger trail, N of Chehailis Lk.

There is another hike that I've been meaning to do... It's accessed just before the Tsunami slide area on Chehailis, a quad trail that partially takes you to Wilson Lk, W of Chehailis. A rushing cr cuts the road off. I may park the quad here and go on foot to Wilson Lk. (Check it out on BR Map 14) I'll give you guys a report on how I make out.

I should probably consider Chilliwack Lake area also, I'm just looking for a good day hunt area from Langley. I'm open to sugestions.
I sold my Zodiac, Damn... would be perfect for a Long Island hunt hey.

Thanks guys!

sneg
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Harrison west produce deer. We take one or two every year. You do not need toride up high. Stop you truck on main FSR and walk cut block than seat and wait motionless. You'll find a deer.

rollingrock
10-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Harrison west produce deer. We take one or two every year. You do not need toride up high. Stop you truck on main FSR and walk cut block than seat and wait motionless. You'll find a deer.

I agree. But that's still up to the bucks when to show up. Another note on hunting that area: lots of ticks. I would go a little higher. There're some nice cutblocks hidden from the main road. So you will have to walk up a little to see them. :biggrin:

Big Lew
10-31-2009, 01:50 PM
There are quite a few deer on Long island, but they are very small. There are some open meadows and some well defined trails along the shoreline rocky ridges, otherwise, it is very thick bush, you have to go very carefully and be ready to shoot quickly.(an open sighted rifle like a 30-30 carbine is best.) A fellow workmate took a 4x5 with a rack similiar to both your finger spread hands. Very interesting place though, good luck!

recon
10-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice! thats the great news... I'll give that area a try and let you know how it goes.

killerkevin
11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I was up hunting about 30 km's up harrison east side. Noticed a couple FSR's were gated and blocked off with big logs... So they don't want these roads used anymore, but there are no signs saying no trespassing. So am I allowed to go in and use these roads on foot?

twoSevenO
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I was up hunting about 30 km's up harrison east side. Noticed a couple FSR's were gated and blocked off with big logs... So they don't want these roads used anymore, but there are no signs saying no trespassing. So am I allowed to go in and use these roads on foot?

Personally, i would. A lot of times when things get gated it's because they don't want yahoos with trucks going in, partying with 30 friends and leaving a mess.

Steeleco
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Unless posted, it's yours to discover.

killerkevin
11-01-2009, 09:41 PM
right on, I can understand that... makes for better hunting anyway. I'm always willing to walk and if the road is closed then that makes it even better!. But sometimes I get sketchy about walking passed gated off areas and whatnot. But no signs are posted so I think I'll walk some of them roads next time.

BearStump
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
yah, what better walking than a nice old road that isnt used by vehicles anymore:-D:-D:-D

Slime green cat
11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
There is another hike that I've been meaning to do... It's accessed just before the Tsunami slide area on Chehailis, a quad trail that partially takes you to Wilson Lk, W of Chehailis. A rushing cr cuts the road off. I may park the quad here and go on foot to Wilson Lk. (Check it out on BR Map 14) I'll give you guys a report on how I make out.

Bring some climbing gear, the creek cut a pretty deep ravine when it took out the road . The lake isnt too far from the washout once you get past the gorge ..... I would say 30 to 45 min hike to the lake .
I was sad to see the Wilson lake road washed out, one of my favourite 4x4 trails and one of the prettiest lakes I have seen close to the lower mainland .

I took the Rhino up there summer of 06 http://quads.ca/quads/397.jpg...after that fall/winter, the road was gone :(

killerkevin
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Exactly man... that area is full of real thick bush. So a nice closed down road makes for a nice hunt on foot!
yah, what better walking than a nice old road that isnt used by vehicles anymore:-D:-D:-D