PDA

View Full Version : Taking my son with me

gibblewabble
10-29-2009, 11:25 PM
My son Ryan is 10 and he finally earned the right to pack a 22 with me for grouse or hare. I took him out to Kenkraft to have a look at some camo for him and Sandy had a good deal on some grey camo, its cotton but nothing a little silicone spray couldnt fix right. Any way we head out to a spot I like to hunt, took a nice 5 point typical whitey the first fall I lived in Vernon. I have learned this area is good to hunt between 10 and 2 and because it is only 15 minutes from home I hit whenever I can only get out for a couple of hours.

We walked up one road had a look at an area where there has been alot of activity but after an hour we hadnt seen much so off to another road. Parked the truck and right away Ryan was saying he had heard something below us I glassed out below us then headed along the ridge just back from the edge and heard a bit of noise below heading into the thick stuff below. I decided to try to head it off because I knew where the trail it was on lead to, sure enough we got there just in time to see a spike muley sniffing a doe. I couldnt get a good shot the doe was in front and after a couple of minutes Ryan started asking me why I wasnt shooting, at least he remembered to whisper. After about 5 minutes the doe moved out of the line of fire and I plugged this guy in the lungs. I have to say Ryan is hooked now I have to find him a grouse or two this weekend, next year he gets to use his great grandmothers 6mm rifle (she was 5 foot nothing).

10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Good for you and your Boy !
I love to hear about new comers to the sport, they are the future.
Get ready to punch your tags dad, judging by the grin on that lads face your in for some competition.

Go get em Ryan !

CT

hunter1947
10-30-2009, 06:03 AM
What a dandy pic of the little guy ,congrats on your deer and your outing with your son http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Greenfields
10-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Great job!

Ruger4
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Thats a pretty big smile !!!
I'd say he's hooked, nice story

buckguy
10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Always good to get out for some father, son bonding. Glad you were able to harvest that buck, with your son, judging by the smile I think he had a great time. Taking my 11 y/o out next week for doe draw. I can't figure out who's more excited.

Squamch
10-30-2009, 06:54 AM
right on, I treasure memories of hunting with my dad at that age, with any luck, this will be the beginning of a life time of shared hunts.

Steeleco
10-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Great job Dad, next he'll be filling the freezer for you. That 6mm will fit him good.

gibblewabble
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Only problem is it took 2.5 hours to have the buck hung in the neighbors cooler, I think he believes it should be that easy all the time.

Glassman
10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Way to go Dad for taking junior with you. At lot of hunters don't take their little one/ones with them because they figure it's too hard on them to go all day. All day is too long for a 10 year old, so don't go all day long. Just go for 3 or 4 hour spurts. Ya it's inconvenient for the first while but soon you will be going all day. The rewards of going with your child is worth the extra work. I suggest he take the CORE course asap. My 2 boys took the course when they were 11 and 13. It's amazing how good they did. They came home and taught me a thing or two. I got my 13 year old a .257 roberts and he shoots it very well with no flinching. Now he won't pass it down to his younger brother because he says it's mine, so I got the youngest boy a .270 and we just use reduced loads. We are looking forward to going out during the youth season in region 8 in November and some guys have already given us some suggestions on where to go for that. Remember to post a picture on here with his first grouse or deer.

10-30-2009, 09:59 AM
love the pic
the kid looks really happy

10-30-2009, 10:00 AM
oh ya nice eater too

gibblewabble
10-30-2009, 11:21 PM
He is taking core next year, told him I would make him a knife like mine if he does. As for 3-4 hours at a time I usually have to drag him off the lake when we go fishing, he is the ultimate fishing buddy this Feb. we were fishing for kokanee on wood lake and with the wind it was -15 and when I told him we were done he was very disapointed. Good kid now to get his 8 year old sister interested in hunting. As a side note I got the peperoni back today from BX sausage, he ws smiling just as big when he saw how big the box was and took his first bite. He has always wanted to eat venison when I cook up a steak for myself (the wife eats moose and elk but not into the dear unless its a burger or burger for spagetti),"can we have venison tonight dad" all the time.

Kids are the best!!!