PDA

View Full Version : 2 youth hunters need help in getting a deer

Glassman
10-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a family of 5. The 2 boys ( 14 & 16 ) and myself hunt but we have had a tough time in finding any bucks. The boys would like to get a deer during the "any buck" mule deer hunt in region 8 Nov 11-18. I understand some hunters have "secret spots" and don't want to tell everyone in BC where to get a buck so if you want to PM that would be great. They just want to get any meat buck so if you have a special buck you don't want them to get they won't shoot it. They each have their own hunting license and each has his own rifle. (.257 roberts & .270 win). They would be happy with a white tail of course too. We live in the Kelowna region but would be happy to travel. If a rancher or farmer would like to help that would be great. Anyone have any suggestions?

gibblewabble
10-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Have you tried the east side of the Aberdeen Plateau around Vernon, I hunt both sides of the lavington valley and there are lots of deer wandering around. Took a spike muley with my son a week ago and have eyed up some whiteys but looking for a bigger one of those. The bonus is you get away from all the other hunters around Kelowna I usually dont see many hunters. Also try heading towards Kamloops from Vernon I see muley bucks up there all the time.

Angel
10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Welcome to HBC.

There is sort of a thing here, before you ask for a hunting hot spot you need to open with a joke:tongue:...........

PM SENT

Glassman
10-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Ok. Here goes.
What do you call a dead blond in a closet? Last years hide and seek winner.

huntwriter
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Shame you do not live closer to me. I would be glad to show you a few spots around here.

10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
can your boys shoot a bow? because if they can I know the place to go for WT does around Cherryville.

Glassman
10-30-2009, 12:15 AM
I just got a crossbow this year and I am practicing with that. They want to practice over the summer next year.

Glassman
10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Shame you do not live closer to me. I would be glad to show you a few spots around here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not looked to see if there is a youth season in Merrit area, but we have no problem in going in that direction.

GoatGuy
10-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Go up Bear Main in the youth season. Take any of the roads that are on rut/winter range (lower elevation). There will be bucks running around like crazy by that point.

Glassman
10-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Go up Bear Main in the youth season. Take any of the roads that are on rut/winter range (lower elevation). There will be bucks running around like crazy by that point.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We went up Bear main, Steward ,Esperon and there were a LOT of hunters, motorbikers. Did see some does up off of esperon and chatten. I've got a 4x4 but last year the snow was so deep I could not get into the area. We were thinking of going up in that area this year but staying lower and looking for tracks and then head into the bush right around the snow line.

lynx
10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I actually take youth hunters and they all get a buck buck I am in Northern AB right next to the ab/bc border near Goodlow BC. Havbe a quarter sction that only kids can hunt and lots of game

Glassman
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
I actually take youth hunters and they all get a buck buck I am in Northern AB right next to the ab/bc border near Goodlow BC. Havbe a quarter sction that only kids can hunt and lots of game
The boys and I were thinking of going north next year for a hunting trip. Driving from southern BC to northern Alberta is a bit to far for a couple of deer but if we can combine that with maybe an elk or moose then Ya, we would really like that. Finding a reasonably priced northern hunt is next to impossible. I will contact you soon. Thanks again

GoatGuy
10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We went up Bear main, Steward ,Esperon and there were a LOT of hunters, motorbikers. Did see some does up off of esperon and chatten. I've got a 4x4 but last year the snow was so deep I could not get into the area. We were thinking of going up in that area this year but staying lower and looking for tracks and then head into the bush right around the snow line.

Good thinking, that's where the deer will be.

knockturnal
11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
id be more then happy to give you a hand. I was out on saturday and saw 3 2 points with the farthest being 26 yards away. I also saw a huge 4x4 in the same area but couldnt get a kick at him. send me a pm and we can talk.