PDA

View Full Version : Chum Limit....

Jimr
10-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Just left fishing after catchin a ton of chum...(not flossing)...using roe and not one foul hook.........anyways....i left there watching people a whole family of them carrying their limit out...4 EACH !....Half of them dont even look they could muscle a chum in, theyre just there to claim en extra four!....maybe iam just ranting, ..i have kept one myself this year out of probably 200 i have caught........... But people are foul hooking them and keeping them and they just say "THEYRE JUST CHUM"....good for smoking thats all ...........(which they are ).. IAM going to guess that 10 , 15 years ago people said "Oh theyre Just sockeye"......... what happened to that ??? .....in 10 years our kids will probably catching nothing, fishing in bc will be very slim... i even seen some people catch doe's ...kill them and throw the eggs on the shore.... AT THE VERY least ....throw them in the water...they may get fertilized...... anywhoooo my rant ends with i think chum limit should be cut down from 4..to 2 ......who needs 4 Big chum a day!????? thats obsurd~!..........

Ok , thanks for reading....hah just a "mad moment":shock::oops::?

Jimr
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
i Just realized , that "sWEDE" said those exact words in a previous post about the chum....^^ But none the less, change the daily limit!

THE SWEDE
10-29-2009, 02:48 PM
THE SWEDE knows all:tongue:

Jimr
10-29-2009, 02:55 PM
il admit, your statement was true about the "just sockeye"....But i dont know about "all" haha

KB90
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Do you have evidence that the family you seen carrying these fish foul hooked them?
The limit is four and if all of them have a license what does it matter how many fish they keep, they are not breaking any laws?
Maybe that's the only time they will get out all year?
Maybe they have a big family who doesn't fish but enjoys smoked salmon?

When I get a chance to fish for salmon i aim to catch my daily limit and will keep my daily limit. Salmon fishing is not something that I get to do very often. I enjoy salmon and they disappear out of the freezer quick. Knowing that chum isn't the most sought after species of salmon I don't imagine too many people keep four as you explained yourself.

And yes I realize there are some fisherman with poor ethics but to complain about a family with their legal limit of fish?

greenhorn
10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I agree, it should be lower.

The attitude that "it's just a chum" or any other species is mystifying to me. It suggests to me that the people who are hauling their mother load of chum away have no appreciation for what an ecosystem is.

My personal ethic is to put every salmon I catch in the river back in the river. I figure if they've made it through the pacific and past trawlers and into the system, they've earned it :p

Besides, where I live there are so many opportunities to hunt for them in the salt water.

KB90
10-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I agree, it should be lower.

The attitude that "it's just a chum" or any other species is mystifying to me. It suggests to me that the people who are hauling their mother load of chum away have no appreciation for what an ecosystem is.

My personal ethic is to put every salmon I catch in the river back in the river. I figure if they've made it through the pacific and past trawlers and into the system, they've earned it :p

Besides, where I live there are so many opportunities to hunt for them in the salt water.

Well that may be true but not everyone has the opportunity to go out in a boat in the ocean. River fishing may be there only chance at catching salmon. And after all salmon is pretty expensive.

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
They are wrong one more than one account.

Most importantly, river run chum are already smoked when you catch them :lol:

River fisheries always leave me shaking my head. 80% percent of the participants have no clue about proper angling tactics, ethics or sportsmanship. Likely because its the only fishing they're able to do and just don't know any better.

I think they should implement a mandatory 4 hour course before you can obtain your licence. Discussing proper tactics, legal methods, proper landing/release technique and general etiquette.
That'll never happen though.

KB90
10-29-2009, 03:18 PM
They are wrong one more than one account.

Most importantly, river run chum are already smoked when you catch them :lol:

River fisheries always leave me shaking my head. 80% percent of the participants have no clue about proper angling tactics, ethics or sportsmanship. Likely because its the only fishing theyr'e able to do.

I think they should implement a mandatory 4 hour course before you can obtain your licence. Discussing proper tactics, legal methods, proper landing/release technique and general etiquette.

Now that's something I agree on!

greenhorn
10-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Well that may be true but not everyone has the opportunity to go out in a boat in the ocean. River fishing may be there only chance at catching salmon. And after all salmon is pretty expensive.

I hear that. Like I said, it's my personal ethic and I'm not going to judge people for keeping a fish.

It is frustrating when I see people catching and keeping fish in fly-only areas, after they have been chucking weighted spoons all day. I especially hate it when I see them cast, then reel a bit, then throw there back out trying to snag one..........then reel a bit more.....

THE SWEDE
10-29-2009, 03:26 PM

You cant fix greed or stupidity in 4 hours..:wink:We can dream though

Jimr
10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
watching them toss a line with a weight, and a hook (with a small piece of wool),,doesnt make sence to me , they think theyre BOB IZUMI because they catch one every cast.................. i could walk out as far as theyre casting theyre gafs and pick those ones up by the tail for them if theyd like........ i use roe, and i tie it on the hook so's that it is almost non snag proof........even use "snagless hooks" any fish caught is released In the water and is never shored.................... just my 02.cents!

KB90
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I hear that. Like I said, it's my personal ethic and I'm not going to judge people for keeping a fish.

It is frustrating when I see people catching and keeping fish in fly-only areas, after they have been chucking weighted spoons all day. I especially hate it when I see them cast, then reel a bit, then throw there back out trying to snag one..........then reel a bit more.....

Well Don't get me wrong either lol I'm against these methods as well and I see it almost every time I'm out. And that's all I was getting at, People shouldn't be judged for keeping a limit of legal fish.

Jimr
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.bassdozer.com/images/mustad-single-hook33.jpg

Should hand these out at the river and see how many people catch them then!

Jimr
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Iam not judging them for keeping their limit, although i do think the limit for next year should be two..... if they love fish as much as u suggested they might, they should get out more and enjoy the sport! anyways...if they can legally catch 4 fish....then that's fine... they keep four then....But to snag 4 in 10 minutes and be on their way???............ ya, Sounds Like an exciting fun packed day on the river to me!!

Steeleco
I once called RAPP while fishing the "penalty box" out near Ladner. There was one boat that would get his limit of 4 and leave for a while. Come back and fish for 4 more. After the third trip I called it in.The voice on the phone told me what boat I was in and what coat I was wearing!! He'd been watching from the DFO office in Steveston. The he told me "they're only chum" I packed up and never went back there. I was so P/O'd

greenhorn
Well Don't get me wrong either lol I'm against these methods as well and I see it almost every time I'm out. And that's all I was getting at, People shouldn't be judged for keeping a limit of legal fish.

No worries, just wanted to clarify my point.

Tight lines!

KB90
10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Iam not judging them for keeping their limit, although i do think the limit for next year should be two..... if they love fish as much as u suggested they might, they should get out more and enjoy the sport! anyways...if they can legally catch 4 fish....then that's fine... they keep four then....But to snag 4 in 10 minutes and be on their way???............ ya, Sounds Like an exciting fun packed day on the river to me!!

Yeah that's not sport at all..and I don't see how it's fun. If what your doing is not working try something else but don't resort to snagging them.

THE SWEDE
10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Our fisheries are in a sad state of affairs when its some down to chum.15 or 20 years ago I cant remeber anyone keeping dogs.

Jimr
10-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah that's not sport at all..and I don't see how it's fun. If what your doing is not working try something else but don't resort to snagging them.

Thank you, that was my point..and now we agree :)...all is well....if theyre Going to be out there in the rain and cold to catch fish..why not have fun doing it???

Wild one
10-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Bc's fishing regs need a lot more help then just a reduced chum limit. I don't even fish salmon any more as I can't stand the gong show that the fishery has become.

Salty
10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the gong show of the LML Fraser valley rivers in the fall :mrgreen:

I've read a lot of threads on other sites about the stupid antics that go on on the Veddar etc. I try to stop reading. But I can't. Its like watching a train wreck or something. lol. Guys posting on why the pinks that they can see in 6" of water won't bite no matter how they present their bait, but at least he tail hooked a couple :roll:

303Brit
10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
well not only do the regs need some changing, but the biggest problem is there are less and less Fishermen/women and more and more people with fishing licenses.

just my 303cents

Jimr
10-29-2009, 07:23 PM
well not only do the regs need some changing, but the biggest problem is there are less and less Fishermen/women and more and more people with fishing licenses.

just my 303cents

U mean less anglers, and more tailnailers, !....we need some good ol riverbank vigilante!!! :P:tongue:

bow_tech_kaldan
11-01-2009, 04:10 PM
The hard fact is their are not enough DFO agents around to stop the illegal fishing of our oceans and rivers and lakes.

steel_ram
11-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Who wants a load of chum when they're in river colours.

Catching maximum limit? What about the families that will tag all their legal allotment of moose or elk, then end up dumping a bunch of it in the bush opening day. See it pretty much every year.