PDA

View Full Version : Finding the "Secret Spot"

Livinlarge
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Here goes my first post!

I'm in my second year of hunting and managed to bag my first Mulie last week. What an experience! I'm very much a newbie but I am acting like a sponge trying to absorb as much info as possible.

In trying to find spots to hunt I've taken advice from co-workers, friends and basically anyone that is will to talk about hunting to me. I have received great advice but would like some more so I thought I'd throw out these questions to everyone on this site. My questions are directed towards Mule deer right now but am looking forward to a Moose and possible Elk hunt next season.

1. When looking for areas to hunt what are some key things to look for (terrain, weather, time of year etc.)?

2. What resources do you use (google earth, maps)?

3. How do guys get these "secret spots" that seem to be consistently productive but wouldn't tell a soul even on their deathbed?

4. What is your secret spot? You can PM me the GPS coordinates :wink: (only if it was that easy!)

Thanks guys!

P.S. Looking to go get a 4 pt out of region 5 this November. I am on holidays the whole month and any of advice when to time the rut and where to go would be appreciated, but not expected.

cainer
10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, there is a rut closure from the 11th to the 21st in region 5. (Arguably the best time for the rut) that'll put a bit of damper on some peoples hunting plans.

I usually check out google earth like you suggested-then drive out to the middle of nowhere-as far from people as i can get-and get into a cut block before first light. sometimes it works-other times not.
I find deer rarely hang out in the center of the cut blocks, more often just inside the treelines-usually find a game trail running around the cut block about 10-20 feet inside the treeline-good binos will go along way.
and i always re-attend the spots where I've previously taken an animal.
good luck!

Angel
10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Google earth and google maps is great for searching areas. Those elusive reg.5 4pt are a hard to come by. Depends on the MU i guess. I think finding a "secret spot" is just having a spot that you are comfortable with that will let you have success every year. If you have a spot with bucks then keep looking for that 4pt.

Th0r
10-29-2009, 01:20 PM
4. What is your secret spot? You can PM me the GPS coordinates :wink: (only if it was that easy!)

I been on here two years and would probably still get a pippi slap for that one:oops:

kootenayslam
10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
hey there, well done on the first buck..
anyways, google is Great, and the fact that not many will give up secret spots the BEST way to find them is when theres snow, put on the miles, driving til you see lots of sign then get OFF the road and you'll lose most the guys, secondly, now till the end of muly season , find the does and you'll find the bucks, good luck! Look for sign, allot of spots look good but for whatever reason hold no deer....hope this helps a bit.....

gibblewabble
10-29-2009, 01:33 PM
In Region 5 I used to hunt French mountain, I forget the FSR but it is right before you drive into Kersley (10-15 minutes south of Quesnel). There was great muley hunting and moose, this was 1991 and I havent been back. Lots of logging up there and there should be alot of 3-5 year old cut blocks to check out. At the time there were lots of grouse there too. I havent been back there simply because I hunt the area I live and when I make a trip to hunt I go back home to Burns Lake to hunt moose and muley's, not many locals hunt mule deer there due to the abundance of moose, its not because the hunting wasnt good in Quesnel.

PS forgot it is on the right hand side of the highway driving north into Kersley, its called French road. I used to hunt the edges of young blocks morning and afternoon (sit in a spot inside the block that gives you a good view of as much of the block as possible) from 10 to 2 I would zigzag a block with 4-8 foot tall trees with my 30-30 and flush em from their beds. I tagged deer using both methods on that mountain over the years. Carry a whistle or a call when you zigzag because sometimes they will stop if you whistle, itll give you a couple more seconds for a shot.

Good Luck

Kody94
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Its very simple really. You just need to find someone that's consistently successful. Then you figure out where they live and park just down the street well before they would leave for a hunt. Then its a simple matter of just dogging them to their spot, staying as far back as possible to avoid detection.

You could spend years trying to figure out some great spots on your own, but where's the satisfaction in that??

:)

eastkoot
10-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Sneaky, Bwana.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Finding the "secret spot"???

I think I saw that on Dr Ruth....or was it Sue Johanson???:oops:

Still looking:?. I'll let you all know if I find it.

SSS

Brian011
10-29-2009, 02:15 PM
I got lucky with my secret spot cause I pretty much took it over from my dad lol. But he spent years following bucks through the snow through nov and he found a couple good fairly open spots inbeteen heavy that the deer have to go through to get to the other side. Within about 100 yds we've taken many big bucks year after year. But you have to be persistant though because some days there are deer every where and other days there's not one.

Gateholio
10-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Its very simple really. You just need to find someone that's consistently successful. Then you figure out where they live and park just down the street well before they would leave for a hunt. Then its a simple matter of just dogging them to their spot, staying as far back as possible to avoid detection.

You could spend years trying to figure out some great spots on your own, but where's the satisfaction in that??

:)

Sounds like a familiar story:mad:

Kody94
10-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Sneaky, Bwana.

Not really. ;)

Sneaky would be hiding one of these on their truck....

http://www.spyshops.ca/gpstrackerandlocator.htm

:mrgreen:

Cheers
4Ster

Kody94
10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a familiar story:mad:

You don't think I came up with it on my own do you?

I was going to add that the side benefit is that by following someone like that, you also find out how early you have to get up in the future to beat them to their own spot!! :D

Apologies if this is still to soon to joke about! ;)

Wild one
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
The 2 best ways I have found are

1)Put in your dues and do not follow the crowd get off the beaten path and look for spots many just drive pass or are too lazy to hike into.

2)This is the easy way find some one who knows the area well and feed them lots of beer. This method may led to future fist fights when you get caught hunting the area.

I recommend 1#

Gateholio
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Apologies if this is still to soon to joke about! ;)

It's ongoing....:?

Kody94
10-29-2009, 02:46 PM
It's ongoing....:?

Unreal....did not know. Somebuddy's got brass balls!!! Hope you squash them. :mad:

brian
10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I am a new hunter too, but this year I have made it my goal to really get to know an area and keep going back no matter what. At first I was very frustrated and disappointed for all the hours I was putting in to only see months old sign. I wanted to give up and look elsewhere, but I had made a commitment to keep going back. This persistence is beginning to pay off.

I started with google earth. It was a good starting point though I found the satellite images way out of date too be really useful. The terrain map was good to get an idea of what I would be facing, but nothing can replace boots on the ground and seeing what you see. I also use the back roads map book to basically find the gates and names of the roads I am seeing on Google. Then I spent many long days hiking the bush looking for sign. I hiked the roads and bush with my GPS recording my tracks and marking any sign I saw. After a few sessions I started seeing more fresher sign and developing a map of how the deer are using the mountain. It has been just as important to rule out areas as it has been to see where they are most active. By doing this I could keep narrowing down my focus to more specific areas. I could even download my GPS data back to google earth and use it to establish where my focus would be for the next session. At first there was no real hunting, just lots of hiking and covering distance. Lately I have been actually hunting and seeing animals that are leaving the sign. Hopefully it will just be a matter of time until I can hookup with a buck. But regardless of the outcome I am learning a ton.
So although I am in no way an experienced hunter, to summurise my findings this year I would say the way to find a spot is to,
1. Know an area
2. Find good fresh sign
3. Patience

So get off the roads, get out there and spend time in the bush. My 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
man that was more like a buck fifty!

but thats how you do it

BearStump
10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
takes time. unless you've go a very generous very experienced buddy whose got the iq of a pitchfork and tells you his spots.

I've found a couple of honey holes just by walking up that trail that seems to go nowhere, but just keeps going and going, and just when you're about to turn around to go back to the truck...dont, keep going. sometimes thats the trail that leads to YOUR honey hole.
although I have wasted numerous days walking trails that really did amount to nothing but sore feet.

Jetboater
10-29-2009, 04:12 PM

SSS
found it once... had a lot to drink though.. so maybe I didnt.......

Salty
10-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I know its not a guy thing usually to ask for directions but to find the secret spot you need to start your moves and then ask her for directions.

hotload
10-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I am a new hunter too, but this year I have made it my goal to really get to know an area and keep going back no matter what. At first I was very frustrated and disappointed for all the hours I was putting in to only see months old sign. I wanted to give up and look elsewhere, but I had made a commitment to keep going back. This persistence is beginning to pay off.

I started with google earth. It was a good starting point though I found the satellite images way out of date too be really useful. The terrain map was good to get an idea of what I would be facing, but nothing can replace boots on the ground and seeing what you see. I also use the back roads map book to basically find the gates and names of the roads I am seeing on Google. Then I spent many long days hiking the bush looking for sign. I hiked the roads and bush with my GPS recording my tracks and marking any sign I saw. After a few sessions I started seeing more fresher sign and developing a map of how the deer are using the mountain. It has been just as important to rule out areas as it has been to see where they are most active. By doing this I could keep narrowing down my focus to more specific areas. I could even download my GPS data back to google earth and use it to establish where my focus would be for the next session. At first there was no real hunting, just lots of hiking and covering distance. Lately I have been actually hunting and seeing animals that are leaving the sign. Hopefully it will just be a matter of time until I can hookup with a buck. But regardless of the outcome I am learning a ton.
So although I am in no way an experienced hunter, to summurise my findings this year I would say the way to find a spot is to,
1. Know an area
2. Find good fresh sign
3. Patience

So get off the roads, get out there and spend time in the bush. My 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

Hey Brian,great advise for the Newbie. I have been at the game a long time and it has been awhile since I have been impressed with an offering as intelligent as yours. If I was to say someone was on the right track it would definitely be you. No doubt in my mind you will definitely be filling the freezer. Any Newbie should heed your thoughts. Actually write them down and take them to the bush.

Livinlarge
10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow!! What a quick response. Thanks, lots of real good useful info. Just to clarify, I put the smiley face on question #4 because it was a joke.

I was wondering what kind of GPS unit can be compatible with google earth? That seems like it would be real beneficial when scouting. Cheers!

Mike

Roots
10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I spent many long days hiking the bush looking for sign. I hiked the roads and bush with my GPS recording my tracks and marking any sign I saw. After a few sessions I started seeing more fresher sign and developing a map of how the deer are using the mountain. It has been just as important to rule out areas as it has been to see where they are most active.

Very good advice Brian. I'm also a new hunter and have found this to be the best way to keep track. I have a one area fully covered, and it's quite cool to see the waypoints on the map where the rubs/droppings were found - this also tells me which areas had no sign and are therefore less productive.

Prowler
10-29-2009, 05:00 PM

SSS

That spot dont exist!:cry:

CT.45
10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I found my secret spot with the aid of google earth, a little time in my truck, a little on my quad and a fair amount of time picking 'em up and putting' 'em down. I found a spot that has no roads, is located between 2 roads, perfect for dropping my quad and walking cross country back to it. No one drives a quad in there as it does not look like much. They all go to the end of the road and turn around. I walk off the end of the road and down into my special spot. 20 mins from my house, I can see the lights of Aberdeen while I am hunting and does everywhere. With the change in the temp and the days falling into November, the bucks should start to show up........ here's to hoping for a little luck.

CT.45
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
found it once... had a lot to drink though.. so maybe I didnt.......

she would have asked you back for seconds and thirds and fourths if you had found it.....

300wsm
10-29-2009, 09:06 PM
great thread and great advisr brian but we are missing the point. it is the threadstarters first post... site rules, tell a joke.

300wsm

Greenfields
10-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Recce is never time wasted.

Camping and hiking all summer long, purely for the enjoyment of the activities have proven to be the best scouting methods for me. It really doesn't take long to learn the old sign from new sign and inbetween. You see the critters in that pre-hunted relaxed state.

Cheers
Brian