PDA

View Full Version : Hunting near Chilliwack

Kid Hunter
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Hey everybody, my dad and I are hoping to get out hunting this year(my first time hunting) and we can't go very far so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some decent areas for hunting around Chilliwack. I'm not asking for your special spot or anything like that just a general area with a few deer in it(you can send it to me in a PM if you would like). I'm really looking forward to getting to go out this year so any help would be great. Thanks a lot!!

GrandA
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
ive tried behind harrison lake, there area lot of back roads in there, however they are fairly active. I have also tried chilliwack lake area, not as busy as harrison lake - good luck

cmac
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Harrison can be quite busy with people, try up near hope at silver lake, plenty of cut roads, some grouse up there as well.

hillclimber
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
you can try skagit valley by hope. a few years ago a 4 pointer stood in the middle of the road for me. was my first buck. i personally wouldn't go back there to hunt deer especially if your just road hunting. maybe try going up the coquihala or towards princeton. whipsaw creek can be good. lots of hunters there though.

cheers
stefan

twoSevenO
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
If you want to stick close to Chilliwack area, then you need to be prepared to walk a lot! You can park at the North end of Chilliwack lake and go hit up Edgar mountain and that area. Just to clarify ... you need to WALK A LOT before you can get out of the thick stuff and into some decent territory.

If you are not willing to hike a lot, then you'll have to drive out a little further, like coquihalla or princeton as the guys said above.

I would not waste my time in Harrison either. Too many people camping and 4x4ing around there.... Lots of yahoos as well, but there is no way i'd leave my truck and go hiking in harrison. Because it will probably be on fire and/or stripped by the time you get back to it.

Kid Hunter
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the help so far. I'm willing to walk a decent amount...not too sure about my dad though...we'll probably be doing mostly road hunting. I would definitely like to try some hiking around though...I think it would be pretty cool.

curt
10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Thurston MT has some nice alpine meadows try that I a close family friend has been hunting there for years good blacktail and bear up high though hike hike then hike some more!!

300win
10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
The Nahatlach valley (Boston Bar) Good Luck!!!!

recon
10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
I bet if you were willing to drive to the far reaches or Harison or Chehalis Lake up some of those ATV trials, hike from there to gain a ridge or glassing point to the north, a person would have some luck in this area.

I've heard these areas have been productive. I havent been myself but I plan to next week...

From what I have learned, Deer are a prolific species, they aren't like grizzly bears who require a mass expanse of territory void of human contact.

My inlaws live in Grand Forks where WT deer eat the flowers down town and in their subdivision. Some human activity shouldn't rule out this area as long as you're away from the screams of the 2-stroke dirt bikes etc.

Thats my thinking... No? Interested in your comments.

Cheers

Kid Hunter
10-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks again to everyone who's posted so far!! I think I might end up trying some of these areas... I didn't even know some of the existed but now looking in the backroad mapbook some of these areas look like they could really work. Thanks again to everyone so far!

Camp Cook
10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Try Dewdney Creek off the Coquihalla Hwy it is the same turn off as Caroline Mines.

Theres usually some road hunters in there but there are some areas that you can get out and do a walk about.

Buddy of mine has shot several deer in there and make sure you have a bobcat tag (if there open) you maybe lucky enough to see one or threee like the last time I was in there...

and don't worry this is not my secret spot but it is a good one to try.